Why doesn't Spyderco replace blades?

You guys are so blindly in love with Spyderco you get mad someone even asks the question?

Seems reasonable enough to me, keep a few blanks on hand? For their most popular models at least. Otherwise not being user/factory serviceable or repairable it is a disposable knife...which is okay if you know that, it just is what it is.

I was always under the impression that Spyderco goes through different models like nobody's business, and is constantly switching up the blades with [expensive] premium steels. On top of that, the models are split globally in manufacturing so as to require international shipping around, and the production of a model is only in finite runs such that you can't simply manufacture a spare blade on demand. All of those factors, I imagine, make it much less practical to stock spare blades compared to other companies.

You guys are so blindly in love with Spyderco you get mad someone even asks the question?

Seems reasonable enough to me, keep a few blanks on hand? For their most popular models at least. Otherwise not being user/factory serviceable or repairable it is a disposable knife...which is okay if you know that, it just is what it is.
Spyderco has a lot of models, and most of those models have sprint runs, and many sprint runs come in more than one variety, and they have knives made in four countries (that I know of)... You can see it could get a bit cumbersome logistics wise. And you can't offer it for just a few models.

I hope I never need this service from Spyderco but I don't worry about it. In the end, they decided not to provide it, and that's all there is to it. Treat your knives with some basic care and they won't break. If you do manage it, you'll have to buy a new one. It will be money well spent. ;)

As has been mentioned, Benchmade won't replace blades they no longer have, which would include just about ALL the Benchmades I have.
Swamp Rat knives has a great warranty, but if they're out of the knife you need, you don't get one...because it ain't there anymore. You get store credit, not a no longer in stock knife.

I know we all like to be able to get whatever we want as customers, but that just ain't realistic...unless you want Spyderco to only produce less than 10 models of knife, ever, in which case it would probably be quite feasible.

I believe it's 25.00 non-coated 35.00 coated per blade. Not that it matters anyway. They determined mine was not broken from abuse, as it was broke along a serration on the Rukus, and hence even after EDC'ing everyday for 2.5 years creating metal fatuige along a stress riser, it finally snapping was somehow covered. I offered to pay but in no way threatened or otherwise twisted anyone's arm. Yes this is a silly post, and I am on the search for a unique Para Mili 2. Which will be my second Spyderco knife. The last one purchased was over a decade ago. Hence my prowling the Spyderco arena. (what kind of post was this?) LOL!
FWIW, under the same circumstances (a blade that failed due to a defect in material) Spyderco would replace the knife, if possible, or issue you a factory store credit for it's original MSRP if it was no longer available.

FWIW, under the same circumstances (a blade that failed due to a defect in material) Spyderco would replace the knife, if possible, or issue you a factory store credit for it's original MSRP if it was no longer available.
There are no preconditions to getting your knife rebladed by Benchmade. If you broke it prying, they'll still replace it - at the aforementioned cost, of course.

There are no preconditions to getting your knife rebladed by Benchmade. If you broke it prying, they'll still replace it - at the aforementioned cost, of course.
That may be, but I was addressing the specific issue of free replacement under warranty, not the ability to purchase a new blade.

to costly, imagine breaking the blade of a sprint run caly? or a GB? They have great warranty but it would be to costly, they want their warranty to be fair so u wont see a better warranty on a bryd than a Laci folder. knife equality

so they will replace the whole knife, but replacing just the blade would be too costly? hrmm

Hi CBurris,

Sorry for your disappointment.

As has been mentioned, the high number of variations along with constantly improving our products makes it difficult to have and provide new blades for the many possibilities. Some companies carry unchanged models for a long time and this simplifies changes. A new military blade won't fit into a 10 year old Military due to the many refinements we make over the years.

Hi Pry,

Our knives are mass produced. Quite a bit different than to take a used knife apart and try to fit a new blade. Labor costs alone would be more than replacing the knife even if we did have the "old" parts.

sal

Thank you.

Mr. Glesser,

I mean no disrespect. Actually the guy responding above being a smart a$$ ticked me off. I love your products and own many of them. In fact, some I own multiple of like your sage 1 and para 2. I just get a little more nervous using my spydercos as oppose to my benchmades because of this policy. That's all the point i was trying to make. Thank you for taking the time sir.

Hi CBurris,

Sorry for your disappointment.

As has been mentioned, the high number of variations along with constantly improving our products makes it difficult to have and provide new blades for the many possibilities. Some companies carry unchanged models for a long time and this simplifies changes. A new military blade won't fit into a 10 year old Military due to the many refinements we make over the years.

Hi Pry,

Our knives are mass produced. Quite a bit different than to take a used knife apart and try to fit a new blade. Labor costs alone would be more than replacing the knife even if we did have the "old" parts.

sal

Back