Why don’t you like flippers?

I’ve noticed that there are no shortage of people who have an adversion to flippers.

Out of curiosity- can some of you who are not fans of this feature tell me why you don’t like them?

Some people seem to be pretty adamant about it so I’m sure there are some good reasons you can share with the rest of us.

Thanks!

Going to move this to GBU... keep the thread civil please.

I’ve noticed that there are no shortage of people who have an adversion to flippers.

Out of curiosity- can some of you who are not fans of this feature tell me why you don’t like them?

Some people seem to be pretty adamant about it so I’m sure there are some good reasons you can share with the rest of us.

Thanks!
Now I get it. There are two types of “flippers”. People that buy knives to quickly resell for a profit, and the other being just folding knives that one can flip open.

Last edited:
I have 2 Kershaw, and 3 ZT flippers knives in my collection, and they are fun to fidget with. I don’t feel the need for more, or for any other manufacturers version.
I forgot to mention that I also bought the CRKT Crossbones flipper, which I like a lot, but I prefer the vast majority of my folding knives to be non flippers, with more traditional locking mechanisms.

Last edited:
Well, I like them when they are executed well and purposefully. Usually I only tend to find them annoying if they are way too long or something, making the knife into a pocket hog. Or if the ergos of the knife would work substantially better without a flipper.

I think some people get salty about flippers and ball bearings because they are "new" and "trendy" or something. But I really never understood why it provokes that kind of ire. There's plenty of thumbstuds, nail nicks, and spydieholes out there. Plenty for all, it seems to me.

I don’t need a blade to open faster than a thumb-operated manual, and there are times when it is disadvantageous to have one open so fast that it surprises people. Flippers often make more noise than slower opening knives.

I like to have the option of discretion when I open a knife. Loud and fast is not discreet. So while I like to play with flippers, I rarely carry them.

Last edited:
I’m pro-flipper. The flipper tab does stick out a bit, but not enough to bother me and I think less than a Spydiehole. I have a Reate that opens pretty loudly but if that noise was ever a concern, I can always do a slow, clumsy, two-hand opening as if it was an old school lockback and thereby avoid alarming anybody nearby. All that being said, I just prefer the flipper opening system for ease, convenience and speed of deployment. Also... as said above, there are more than enough non-flippers to go around for everybody who dislikes flippers.

70% of my knives are fixed blades. I'm buying heavily in the 1 inch to 3 inch fixed now. I'd rather carry a fixed blade for EDC because I have to carry legally at 3 inches state-wide or 2.5 inches or smaller in Chicago, and the smaller blades are just too small for a fumble free flipper.

Fixed blades are Where It's At!

Last edited:
I dunno man, this IS Bladeforums..... :rolleyes:

I think a lot of people are just tired of every new knife release being a flipper, which I understand.

Then again I love my flippers so I can't complain.

I understand people feeling like they're boring or redundant, but they've become so common because they're simple and comfortable to open. I went through a phase of trying to move away from the flipping tabs, but I gravitated back towards them.

;) I have several and love the fidget factor . But for my serious carry and harder use folders , I prefer wave opening and a stronger , less fussy lock system . Can I get a waved Tri-ad lock flipper ? :eek::thumbsup:

I enjoy framelock flipper knives. I work in retail management, in a business where that means I’m on the sales floor most of the time. It’s not uncommon for me to cut things in front of guests. I’ve been carrying flippers almost exclusively for about five years, and have never had a strange reaction to deploying a knife. The sound of the lock up may draw attention in extreme proximity, but the determining factor in comfort is what the attracted eyes come to find. If I were to bring my Microtech DOC to work, I could see that being a Thing, but I haven’t had any strangeness from anybody even flipping a 0562.

Here’s a tip: I don’t flip it in the guest’s face. I make it a point to turn my body such that the knife is opening away from them. Simple things like this communicate through body language that you’re conscious of, and considerate of, the people around you.

I read a lot about theoretical problems on Bladeforums. Framelock problems, flippers freaking everybody out, etc. I work with these and use them on a daily basis, and have been for years. These problems have never materialized for me. I acknowledge that other people may have different experiences.

70% of my knives are fixed blades. I'm buying heavily in the 1 inch to 3 inch fixed now. I'd rather carry a fixed blade for EDC because I have to carry legally at 3 inches state-wide or 2.5 inches or smaller in Chicago, and the smaller blades are just too small for a fumble free flipper.

Fixed blades are Where It's At!

Chicago, eh?
2.5 inches?

Yeah, I'll carry whatever the hell I want when I can legally carry a pistol on my waist here in Chicago:D

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0078.JPG

I don’t need a blade to open faster than a thumb-operated manual, and there are times when it is disadvantageous to have one open so fast that it surprises people. Flippers often make more noise than slower opening knives.

I like to have the option of discretion when I open a knife. Loud and fast is not discreet. So while I like to play with flippers, I rarely carry them.

If i need to open an only flipper knife slower I just stick my thumb over the spine of the knife when I’m opening it. Then once I have used the flipper to pass the detent and expose abit of the blade I just use my thumb on the side of the blade to slowly open it. Simple.

Back