1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Why I edc a SwissChamp...

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by martino910, Oct 10, 2007.

1. martino910

martino910

Apr 2, 2006
    Until recently I have been looking for the perfect EDC, some have mentioned -a cut-back in carry, some opt for the bare minimum_- thereby opting for the minimalist route...a tinker...mountaineer...or ranger...

personally, i prefer the all-round comfort of the Champ...what can I not do with this tool?...probably draw money from an ATM...thats it!

Everything nature can possibly throw at me...can be fashioned using one or more of the SwissChamp's implements...one knife...one fire...one life...

Truth being...older is wiser...?

Comments?

2. yermom

yermom

Aug 9, 2004
    i might stop carrying it when i stop needing it

i can't think of a tool on it that hasn't been used for something

3. Kaizen1

Kaizen1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2006
    In most situations a good multitool like the Champ really is all one would need to get the job done. Things that it doesn't give that other straight-pocket-knives do:

Cool factor, depending on preference
    SD options (This is arguable by some, but I'm specifically saying "options")
    Ergos
    Quickness in opening/closing (though mostly unnecessary)
    Fancy-shmancy materials (steel, handle materials)

But you are right, a good multitool is really what most people would need. But I buy things I want as well as need. This is why I always have my Leatherman Wave in the bag and my pocket knife of the day in my pocket.

4. Dave_Markowitz

Dave_Markowitz

Sep 9, 2007
    My EDC is a Victorinox Farmer. It has just the right combination of tools that I need, while being slim and trim.

5. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod

Apr 6, 2000
    I like the Vic. Ranger for pocket carry, a little smaller than the SwissChamp, but I keep a SwissChamp in my BailOut Bag.

6. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd

Nov 7, 2006
    Amen on the Vic Farmer! It's the best! I've carried mine most of the past 20 years. Most of the red anodizing is worn off the handle now, too. Give me that knife and a model 5-WR Vise Grip and I can handle most mechanical problems as well as most outdoors situations. It'll clean fish and game just fine.

7. theonew

theonew

May 16, 2006
    I spent awhile trying to find just the right SAK. The smallest I could find with the right selection of tools for me was the Tradesman, but for some aggravating reason the weight was never listed anywhere on the web, or at least I couldn't find it. Finally someone here informed me that it weighed 6 ounces, at which point I figured if I'm going to carry a 6 ounce monster I might as well have it all and I got a Swisschamp. The only thing I can imagine worse than not having a SAK when you need one, is having a SAK missing that one crucial tool you need at the moment. While the Swisschamp is too big for me to pocket carry, its always in my bag or pack.

8. JD Mandrell

JD Mandrell Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2001
    My "champ" has been going strong for about 16 years now.

It's on it's 3rd set of red scales, but the knife is still solid!

9. jonnyt16

jonnyt16

Jul 17, 2007
    Is the Swisschamp really that comfortable for edc? It's always looked a bit wide to me.

10. So-Lo

So-Lo

Jun 12, 2006
    I carry my Midnight Manager 2 everyday. Its my only "real" everyday carry. Its a tad larger than a classic.

Anyways do you guys throw these bricks in your pocket, or sheath them on your belts? I'm happy with my tact-cool lockers and my Midnight Manager 2 for now. But inquiring minds want to know.

I seen a guy in Lowes one time with a big Fat SAK in a sheath and on his belt. When I say FaT I'm, talk'in about a inch and a half thick.

11. Helle

Helle

Dec 9, 2005
    LOL, I carry mine in my right front pocket and since it wasn't enough weight for me I added a detachable key chain with a whistle, fire starter, and mini mag.;)

Helle

12. Strobengh

Strobengh

Dec 15, 2006
    This thread has the MacGyver seal of approval!

[​IMG]

EDIT: My Classic always finds its way into my pack.
    Too many years of carrying it in boy scouts to ever let go of it, no matter what else I'm carrying.

13. knivesanonymous

knivesanonymous

Aug 19, 2007
    I have a multi-tool everywhere i have a Leatherman Charge w/ pocket clip. In my car i have a SOG and in my Camp bag i have Victornox and they all get plenty of use.

14. yermom

yermom

Aug 9, 2004
    i just keep it in my pocket, i barely notice it anymore.

15. Bucktool_02

Bucktool_02

Nov 11, 2005
    I've been EDC-ing my SwissChamp in a belt sheath for the past 15 years. I never tuck my shirts in, so it's usually hidden. I feel naked without it.
    A long time ago, I simply kept it in my front pockets. It would wear holes in the pockets and all my coins would fall out. Pocket carry also caused a lot of lint buildup in the knife too.

Belt carry is definitely the way to go with one of these bricks.

16. zulu45

zulu45

Jul 14, 2006
    I agree totally. I EDC a SwissChamp (Not an XL or anything like that, the original) and it is great! I can't count how many times it has come in handy, although I'll admit I carry a second knife (either a Benchmade, or a smaller Swiss knife) for the cutting jobs, particularly because I don't want to ruin the blades on the SwissChamp. It was my first knife above $50, and it was the knife that introduced me to knife collecting.

17. T1000

T1000

Oct 11, 2007
    Swisschamp is too heavy,I think.

18. udtjim

udtjim

Sep 4, 2007
    I have the swiss champ but for every day use I carry the Explorer.

19. barrabas74

barrabas74 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2005
    I was thinking "swisschamp too heavy for me" then I realized I carry in combination at least 2-3 knives at a time. There combined weight would equal the champ. So I cannot whine about that. I will give it a try, I have the champ and the champ XLT

I will edc the XLT and see how she carries.

20. JD Mandrell

JD Mandrell Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2001
    It's not that bad, I carried mine as an EMT in my front uniform pants pocket and in jeans for years. Never really noticed it being to heavy or bulky.

I think a standard SwissChamp comes in around 8oz. just a tad more than a Buck 110.

I gotta get out of this thread, or I'll be ordering a new Champ! :D

Always wanted one in something besides red.......