Why I love Victorinox!

So I find this knife.

I'm walking to my car on the local grocery store parking lot, and there on the asphalt is an old beat up black Victorinox classic. Scales scratched yup and scarred, blade dull as a butter knife but it's never been sharpened. Action is sluggish with dirt and unidentified gunk. It's an old one, with the old Victorinox tang stamp and a screw holding the scissors together instead of a rivet. Toothpick and tweezers look unused. The nail file has the old pointy tip, and thats okay by me as it works real good on very small Phillips screws.

I look around and yell "anyone lost a pocket knife?" and just get some stares, no rely. Okay, finders keepers. I take it home and use an old toothbrush with some Dawn dish soap and lots of warm water to give it a though cleaning. Scrub the ever lovin dog poo outa it. Blow out with some air, drop some mineral oil in the joints and work things around. A springy action actually comes back. It's a Vic, just needed a real good cleaning. A few minutes on a fine diamond hone and it's sharp enough to shave newsprint with a slight whisper.

But...the scissors spring is broken. Okay, I look around on the net and smoky mountain has them for a buck a pop. So I call Victorinox, up there in Shelton Connecticut. Nice lady answers and I explain I want to buy a scissors spring for an old classic, how can I pay you of them.

The very nice lady said not to worry about it, she's gong to put a couple in an envelope and mail them to me. No charge. No probemo. Just like that. I knew there was a reason I've been a Victorinox fan since 1969!

Victorinox, the brand you can count on.

I've been a Victorinox fan since 1969!

Since about 1972 here.
An Executive model; you know . . . has the orange peeler. I had a red one back then and lost it I have a black one now . . and many others.

The consistency in build quality, for the price, is astonishing.
I wouldn't mind a photo of the one you found.

The little blue Mini Champ below is ALWAYS with me; has a light and a ball point pen. The super skinny blades I find useful for cutting curves at work !
Next down is the Executive a true gentleman's knife.
IMG_3335.jpg

These guys are with me ever day I work . . . at my day job or at home in my home work shop. Always in the belt pouch . . . the long blades all have different edge grinds; left and right chisel grinds and the little Bantom is nearly zero bevel to the main angle of the blade sides.
Yes I get along pretty well with Vics :thumbsup:
IMG_2671.jpg

I love Victorinox products, too. Bought my first in 1981.

TBH, if I was somehow forced to limit myself to only one brand, I'd probably choose Victorinox. In general, the Vics I EDC (a black Executive, along with either my red Spartan or Alox Pioneer) are the pocketknives/tools I use the most when I'm out and about in a given day, regardless of what else I'm carrying. Victorinox quality and consistency, especially considering their mammoth output, are phenomenal.

Jim

I probably wouldn't have picked up the classic.... Just this past Saturday, I found a larger Vic and I didn't pocket it. It may well have ended up in the trash as we were cleaning out a house full of furniture and other stuff. But I love Vic knives and probably should have kept that one. Maybe I'll stumble onto it later this week when just about everything is cleaned out of the place including carpet.

Great sharing!
Somehow only a true believer would go thru all the trouble
of bringing old & worn castaways back to life!
I do believe these old Vic's have found a truly deserving soul
to make them shine in lasting perpetuity :)
I like happy endings.

I was thinking yesterday that Victorinox is one of my two favorite knife companies, Spyderco is the other one. As much as I enjoy and appreciate Spyderco's if I could only have one it would be a Victorinox product. Besides being super useful they are also very reliable.
I ordered a Victorinox Forester off the bay a few days ago. I ordered the cheapest one I could find from a dealer i had never heard of or delt with before. It arrived yesterday. Perfect fit and finish, perfect walk and talk, no blade play, everything opens and closes with about the same amount of pressure.
Im always amazed and pleased at how reliable and consistent their products are, especially at the price point.

The following may have been told before but is being told today because I love Victorinox! :thumbsup:

In the spring of 1993 while walking my dog in a secluded county park, I found a Vic huntsman. It had obviously been placed at the base of a volley ball net pole, possibly by a player who believed he could jump higher without the extra weight in his pocket. The bright red package of goodness was leaning against a white pole, probably as a reminder to not leave the park without it. It got my attention from 200 feet away. Other than me and my dog the park was vacant. So following the number one rule of "Finders Keepers", I had my first Victorinox.

That useful tool has been carried in a belt pouch whenever I ventured into the great outdoors. Whether hunting, fishing, canoeing, hiking, biking, sailing or camping that huntsman has been with me, efficiently handling any task asked of it for 25 years.

It's still in excellent condition so I plan on using it another 10 years or so, then giving it to my grandson. I hope he'll choose to carry his huntsman for an additional 25 years. Yeah, I love Victorinox but then... who wouldn't??? :)

So I find this knife.

I'm walking to my car on the local grocery store parking lot, and there on the asphalt is an old beat up black Victorinox classic. Scales scratched yup and scarred, blade dull as a butter knife but it's never been sharpened. Action is sluggish with dirt and unidentified gunk. It's an old one, with the old Victorinox tang stamp and a screw holding the scissors together instead of a rivet. Toothpick and tweezers look unused. The nail file has the old pointy tip, and thats okay by me as it works real good on very small Phillips screws.

I look around and yell "anyone lost a pocket knife?" and just get some stares, no rely. Okay, finders keepers. I take it home and use an old toothbrush with some Dawn dish soap and lots of warm water to give it a though cleaning. Scrub the ever lovin dog poo outa it. Blow out with some air, drop some mineral oil in the joints and work things around. A springy action actually comes back. It's a Vic, just needed a real good cleaning. A few minutes on a fine diamond hone and it's sharp enough to shave newsprint with a slight whisper.

But...the scissors spring is broken. Okay, I look around on the net and smoky mountain has them for a buck a pop. So I call Victorinox, up there in Shelton Connecticut. Nice lady answers and I explain I want to buy a scissors spring for an old classic, how can I pay you of them.

The very nice lady said not to worry about it, she's gong to put a couple in an envelope and mail them to me. No charge. No probemo. Just like that. I knew there was a reason I've been a Victorinox fan since 1969!

Victorinox, the brand you can count on.
That's awesome, and sure true.

Personally they've always been a brand I knew because of my grandfathers love of the classic.
My very first knife was a red Classic I found at an amusement park when I was 3, but I only had it for an hour till my mom found and took it for 19 years.
I'm glad to have it now and carry it often.

It has all been said. Amazing company with a consistant product line. My SAKs are my only traditionals that I can open all the blade on with my wimpy fingernails.
vqVWpWc.jpg

Favorite is the new Compact; amazing.
g3cS5Vr.jpg

That's awesome, and sure true.

Personally they've always been a brand I knew because of my grandfathers love of the classic.
My very first knife was a red Classic I found at an amusement park when I was 3, but I only had it for an hour till my mom found and took it for 19 years.
I'm glad to have it now and carry it often.

You're grandfather was a v very smart man!

It wasn't until I got to be an old man and grandfather myself that I came to appreciate the 'little' things in life. The "old man with the little pen knife" phenomenon. It's real.

Love all my SAK knives as well guys,counterfeiting them should fall under crimes against humanity.

I had a similar experience one time --- involved a fishing real part, how can I buy it, and company just sent me one --- and it does make a good impression that sticks with you.

And I agree, Victorinox knives are very good value. Right now I keep putting the Pioneer in my pocket every morning. One day I will rotate to something else, but for now I'm stuck on the Pioneer.

Great story, thanks for sharing. Everyone needs a Classic.

I’ve had a Classic on my keys dating back at least 10 years, With another knife in my pocket. About 2 years ago I found myself not needed a knife much at all, so I started carrying various SAKS (classic, pioneer x, deluxe tinker) with the added tools on them I was using my knife more throughout the day, and that put a smile on my face. To this day a SAK is my main carry. Absolutely my favourite knife brand.

I didn't get my first Victorinox until I was thirty-something.

My first SAK was a Wenger SI alox and it served me well for years. Fishing with my dad in my late teens, he found it and turned it over to me. I really started to put it to use when I left the auto body shop and took a job in a lab environment in 1994. Soon after I started working on computers and the SI screwdrivers were the perfect size for the screws on PC cases and the screws that held in video cards, sound boards, modems, etc..

One of my co workers wanted to show off his new diamond sharpener. One of the pen type that work on serrated blades. I let him sharpen my SI. He went at it like it was on fire and he was trying to put it out with that sharpener. Scratched the crap out of the sides of the blade. I still have it and it still show the scars :p.

Not long after I started hanging out with another coworker that turned me into a knife nut. Gerber, Spyderco, Benchmade, Becker, Kershaw, Swamp rat, customs, everything followed.

My love of modern, traditional, multi-use, or fixed blade knives have ebbed and flowed with each being the favorite at one point or another.

On my keychain now is a Vic Mini Champ. The old style with the cuticle pusher. My wife has the Vic Classic with the dragonfly design on it. I'm looking forward to the recruit.

Yes I like Swiss knives (Victorinox, Wenger, Swiza) having been scout many years I was initiated to the use of the knife during camps. Adult, recently, I found a "Climber" in a drawer this knife had been confiscated by my wife then a teacher, has a child of 7 years who played with to the school. Not having been claimed by the family, he slept in this drawer. I had it repaired at Victorinox (for free), he found a second youth. Since 2016 I became collector of Swiss knives I now have 150 and I could not live without it.

Last edited:
What a cool subject line that starts this thread, neat "finders-keepers" stories, and voices sharing how great Victorinox Swiss Army knives are.....I just have to chime in. I agree Victorinox SAKs and multi-tools are the best ever. This knife company has it all together!

The only knife I carried for 35 years was my daughter's gift of a Victorinox Swiss Army Climber, 3-1/2" with red handles. The handles are worn smoother than smooth now. It has also traveled with me a number of times overseas, and was invaluable to have for all the work it did for me during those journeys.

My Victorinox collection is quite small -- I have eight SAKs -- but the collection is comprised only of superb knives. Every knife purchase was considered long and hard, and each is a beautiful, quality, and special knife. My red climber still ventures out with me, but last year was joined by a new 3-1/2" Climber with black handles. This new Climber is my daily EDC, and I'll not head anywhere without it in my right front pocket. The additional tool my new Climber carries, over the red one, is the Multi-Purpose Hook -- a parcel carrier tool; used often and much appreciated. The Climber is extremely dependable, and my most-used SAK.

My favorite SAKs, for looks and feel, are the ones I have with wood handles. I'm a definite lover of beautiful wood, as the always-different grain designs give a uniqueness to each knife's personality.

I must admit I actually surprised myself with one of my Victorinox purchases last summer. I got a SwissTool Spirit, and I have really enjoyed the superb quality and usefulness of this multi-tool. It's cool that I can do various projects with it from beginning to end, and not have to go digging through my toolbox for what I need. Everything is housed in the Spirit!

Very glad to own Victorinox blades and tools!

Thanks again, OP, for opening up this great thread. Most enjoyable to read!
Bozhidar

Nice post!

All I can think is...

Top class engineering
Rock-like consistency
Reliability
Fun factor
Lifetime warranty replacement

... and all for very little cash??

Good times :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back