Why Ipe?

Looking up this wood because I don't see the reason behind using it. You seem to use a bit so I thought that you would be able to help me "get it". I have heard that it is wonderfully heavy/solid, but is there some hidden figure/chattoyance/special finishing that really makes it shine that does not translate onto a computer screen?

Thanks.

I'll take a stab at it before Chrisof...

Well for one Ipe can have some beautiful coloration in the grain. Not uncommon to have some yellowish streaks in it.

AND Ipe is one of the hardest woods you are going to find, making it super durable. It is just under Lignum vitae on the Janka scale. (LV also on many Koyote knives)

Being so hard also makes it forgiving to work with... unless you are the saw blade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janka_hardness_test

I'm currently finishing up a piece of ipe with some grain swirls and even a knot. but in general I go for straight grained.

I find it has a very subtle patterning but DOES have patterning and will glow with a bit of care and rubbing. It's VERY subtle and more suited to the 'meditation in the woods' than the '2 foot rule' of some of the other woods- like some of the prettier maples.

But really? It's nature's answer to micarta. :D

Thanks for the replies- especially the "nature's micarta"! I picked some up to play with, now just to wait until everybody is out of the house to cut it and play with what it is like. Any tips on how you finish it?

I've started- on everything- cutting and clamping scales together and popping them in the dehydrator (or near a heater vent, or whatever) for a few hours - nicely clamped up.

then glue and shape and all that- go slow on the sanding, you'll figure that out, it doesn't burn like osage or purpleheart, but the oils will smoke if you overheat it a LOT. It's hard stuff, works way slower than maple or walnut.

linseed oil soak for a few hours in a bucket, wipe off and dry for a couple days, or tung oil, one coat, sit about 3 minutes, wipe. dry overnight, repeat.

then smotth it all out- steel wool, burnishing rod, whatever. I like to finish with briwax- but I keep meaning to try a melted beeswax soak. someday....

the bolo is a more entertaining piece of ipe:

311-0016.jpeg

311-0012.jpeg

311-0008.jpeg

I didn't like the ipe very much when I first saw it when compared to other more colorful woods such as maple, etc. That has changed though. The more I see it, the more I like it. I love the deep, rich color. BTW that bolo looks awesome!

+1 on that bolo.
Ipe is neat stuff. Another one you might want to play with is Cumaru - it has an almost braided grain with a lot of gold in it. S. American alternative to Ipe. (and sometimes flooring companies have free samples, so you can try before you buy!)

Ipe use to be a throw away wood. Until governments in South America insisted that the loggers take it along with the other wood there was no market.
I have been aware that the Atlantic City board walk is made of Ipe wood. They do not take it down for hard winters. Labor savings is a great attribute. It is very hard. Most times It must be pre - drilled to use screws with.
I have a bokken I use, that has broke a few hickory specimens over a number of years. I have a Katana length and keep a waki size for the front door area.
A friend has had his old floors replaced with Ipe and after a few years it looks really great.
It does make really good knife handles. I have been using the bolo for a week or so and it is very comfortable. I am having cristof making me a Seax with Ipe .

Floyd

I actually started with a deck job I did, using scraps. The stuff is indestructible and serves the same purpose in the shop as aluminum and micarta for a lot of makers (smooth vise jaws, backing plates, sanding sticks)

It does like predrilling (standard is 1/8 inch on decking)and a little extra care on the end grain sealing, but that's about it.

What of Paduak? It too is a super hard, durable wood that looks absolutely gorgeous with a wax finish. The deep reds just glow. I know it's also very hard to work with... I've spent hours on a piece no bigger than my thumb... but it's worth it in the end, I think.

Paduak is gorgeous - wear a mask/respirator, because the sawdust is somewhat toxic.

I've done a few paduak handles, through tang stuff. It's fabulous wood, really. toxic, yes!

Ipe is my "default" heavy use wood, but it's not the only wood :D

I've done a few paduak handles, through tang stuff. It's fabulous wood, really. toxic, yes!

Ipe is my "default" heavy use wood, but it's not the only wood :D

I have one of the Padauk knives that Koyote made and it opened my eyes to what it can look like.

it's also beautiful turned on a lathe... I made a paduak smoking pipe when I was bored on the air force base, I turned the stem and the stem looked better than the bowl! I used a diagonal cut.

Back