Why is losing a pet harder for me than a human?

We lost our 13 year old Lahsa Ahpso earlier this year. It hit the family very hard. I will pray for peace in you life, if you will let me.

Sorry about your loss and hope you're coping strong.

Dogs are special and I respect dogs more than some people. They love you no matter what, no questions, whatsoever, you know unless you're an abuser or something. They'll die for you.

Why is losing a pet harder for me than a human? Cause your a dumb asshole?

The Legend Of Grace
(An Old Indian Legend)
by Klea V. Stilwell

There is an old, old legend,
Of how it came to be,
That dog forsook the wild to dwell,
With folks like you and me.
Now man and beast they lived on,
A common bit of earth.
Each specie thought the other,
Of very little worth.
One day there was a rumble,
The earth began to quake,
It gave a mighty shudder,
And then began to break.
A crack began to widen,
Between the beasts and man.
Some watched the crevasse deepen,
But most just turned and ran.
Now the dog surveyed the distance,
And Man beheld it too.
Between them sprang a yearning,
A feeling strange and new.
Then each one begged the other
To make the fateful leap,
Yet each one dreaded jumping
A crack so wide and deep.
So Dog compelled his courage
And told Man he would try.
He eyed the fatal distance,
For if he failed, he'd die.
Then Dog prepared to jump across
His courage had decided.
That if he could but make the jump,
They'd no more be divided.
His muscles bunched beneath him;
His body left the ground.
The wind raced past his muzzle;
His heart began to pound.
His senses sought the purchase
Of land beneath his feet.
At last his forepaws met the ground.
His mission was complete!
NO! His hind feet have slipped and
He's falling off the side!
His gallant farewell look said,
"At least, New Friend, I tried."
With disbelieving glance, Man
Beheld his falling friend.
He wouldn't let it happen;
It couldn't be the end!
Then flesh smote air in searching,
And hand met paw and fur.
Then Man pulled Dog to safety
As heart to heart they were.
Man called and Dog responded,
And though the gulf was wide,
Man gained the loyal canine
Forever by his side.

Uncalled for man. If you want to be a jerk, take it to whine and cheese.

Thank you. I read that in disbelief. I realize im not everyones favorite person but to say something like that to someone who is watching a loved part of MY family die more and more everyday makes me sick.

Report the post and let the mods handle it. There is no reason to continue to quote him.

a year and a half ago I had to put down my cat. I always hated cats but this one insisted on moving in on me. After 21 years having to take her to the vet to end her misery was among the most painful things I ever did. 21 years was a long time, she was always there ready to attack me and bite my hair and sleep on my shoulder or pushed against my thigh. I think I'll miss my little buddy for the rest of my life. She never turned away from me.

Wishing the best for you guys. Dogs are definitely part of the family, I know our little girl is. Just know that regardless of the outcome, they're lucky to be part of a family that loves them as much as you do.

Dam this thread was hard to read. Purpledc sorry to hear about your dog. My wife and I have two dogs and they are our family. I know when the time comes I will be a wreck. I have had a few dogs put down when I was living at home with the folks but I never had to deal with taking them to the vet. My dad always did that. The hardest one I had to say goodbye to was my first horse. Still have her halter hanging in my hobby room. Again sorry to read about your pug.

PURPLE, so sorry for the bad news, what your saying is all too true, I grieve more for my four legged friends then I do my family. We have lost three of our guys in just the last two years. I still feel for my family, but putting one of these wonderful creatures down is heart wrenching. My guys have give me so much pleasure and enjoyment unconditionally and all they want in return is to be loved. Somehow the thought of you having to do that makes me well up inside. Smoke and prayers sent for you and your family.

Looks like today is my last day with him. What little food he ate yesterday came up this morning and he wont eat anymore at all. I just cant believe how fast this is happening. The doctor told us a month. And its been just about tat long. But it wasnt until this last day that he just took a dive. Im still not ready. But he is. Goodbye diesel. It wont be long. We will meet again.

Looks like today is my last day with him. What little food he ate yesterday came up this morning and he wont eat anymore at all. I just cant believe how fast this is happening. The doctor told us a month. And its been just about tat long. But it wasnt until this last day that he just took a dive. Im still not ready. But he is. Goodbye diesel. It wont be long. We will meet again.

I'm sorry to hear that. They're lucky to have spent their time here with someone who cares about them this much.

My condolences on the loss of your friend.

I wish I had a good answer to your question. It does seem to be a deeper sense of loss...

I know this sounds nutz, but know that others out there feel the same as you do. You're not abnormal to feel this way, you're joined by many who cherish animals as sacred partners while we walk through life.

How much more "humane" to be able to end an animals suffering, I only wish we would be as dignified to our human brethren.

Sorry Purple, and sorry as well for Jim, as well as for Ferahgo

I've had pets in the family since I was 5 so in 50 years I've outlived quite a few and most have had between 8-15 years with us. That's a long time of fond memories that really mess with you. I'm truly sorry for your loss and I hope the good memories will give you some comfort in the future.

Damn Purp, I feel for you. My last dog passing was a pug also. Had a stroke that left her with no brain activity other than really belabored breathing, so had to put her down. Then a cat that had been with us for 19 years needed to be relieved of obvious constant pain. I swore off pets, but with kids in the house, well, I have no clout.

For me, I think pets are relatively innocent and pure in action and love toward their owner/protector. People on the other hand....not so innocent for the most part. At least for adults that have lived a path of their choosing. Fortunately I have not had to deal with the loss of a child, just siblings and parents. So I too take pet passing very hard. Pets pretty much take on a life of servitude, and live mostly to please their provider.

Good luck in your trials.

Duke's Last Day

(The above is one of the most beautiful photo essays I've seen, heartbreakingly so. "Dusty room" alert.)

"God, I was lucky. Our time was short. But you both gave me a second chance & we lived it up together. You love when I look at you. I’ll never stop."

PurpleDC, my heart goes out to you.

~ P.

R.I.P. Sir Diesel the Weasel, Long of dogs. June 5, 2003- August 25, 2015 Thanks to those who showed compassion.

Back