Why is the 5 not that popular?

kyhunt

Basic Member
I'm looking at my next ESEE purchase down the road. It may be a couple months as I have osme preordered knives (non-ESEE) coming up soon. Thinking of the 6 or maybe 5. Just noticed that the 5seems not to be held in high regards. Is it because its so thick? Only ESEE I have right now is my 4.

There has been a lot of these threads lately. The 5 is loved greatly by many users but it's not as popular as other models (like the 4). I had one and got rid of it because I thought it was a bit much for my use. However, I have some regrets about selling it now, and may pick one up again in the future.

It's a great knife, but it is purpose built.

Thanks. I tried to a serch but only one thread came up for ESEE-5. I think its because mot folks just call them 3,4,5,6. Unfortunately the search wont do one character. I geuss the thread would of been better titled 6 or 5.

There has been a lot of these threads lately. The 5 is loved greatly by many users but it's not as popular as other models (like the 4). I had one and got rid of it because I thought it was a bit much for my use. However, I have some regrets about selling it now, and may pick one up again in the future.

It's a great knife, but it is purpose built.

I did what you are going to do (maybe).
Sold the 5 ,bought it again....
And sold it again :cool:.

I came to the same point when rebuying it .
Too thick.And I'm not very fond of the blocky handle either.
The Junglas and the ESEE-3 and Izula II are the best in my opinion.Those are awesome knives.

I found the 5 too thick for its length.And the sabre grind doesn't help ,with that kind of thickness.

Remember, the 5 was made to cut out of an aircraft, then survive. It's a hardcore strong knife, not the best for most tasks. It's the same great quality as the other ESEE's, but just a different beast.
For bushcraft, get a 4, 6 or even a BK2 has a better cutting edge. I own the 5 and a BK2, I like the BK2 for my use. I have not been in a plane crash yet, nor had to cut someone out of a car, that's when I'd grab my 5.

Remember, the 5 was made to cut out of an aircraft, then survive. It's a hardcore strong knife, not the best for most tasks. It's the same great quality as the other ESEE's, but just a different beast.
For bushcraft, get a 4, 6 or even a BK2 has a better cutting edge. I own the 5 and a BK2, I like the BK2 for my use. I have not been in a plane crash yet, nor had to cut someone out of a car, that's when I'd grab my 5.

Thanks, that sums it up good for me.

From what Jeff has said, I think the 5 sells really well.

Only think I don't like about it is the weight. Heavy ass knife.

I just got a 5. I've had a BK2 for a while. Wish I had gone with the 5 in the first place, especially after I went through the expense of putting micarta on the BK. I like the 5 in amost every regard over the BK. Its thinner (the BK's scales are HUGE). THe handle contour works better than the straight handle on the BK. THe jimping is a welcome addition. I like the DP of the blade better. Only thing I don't care for on the 5 over the BK is the glass breaking pommel

I just picked up the 5 and I love it. Fits in great and I will use the hell out of it and know it will stand up to anything I can throw at it. Maybe even stand up to a little bit of baton twirling.

I had carried the 5 in my pack on every outing since it came out. I have used it extensively, and once I reprofiled the edge to my liking, I found it to be my favorite knife by ESEE.

I now carry the Junglas in my pack instead of the 5. That is only cause the Junglas is still new to me. I however will never sell my 5, it has more than proven itself to be a great tool for the outdoors.

i'm honestly a little confused why the 5 is the only knife in the line with the bowdrill divot. seems like a fairly useful thing and there's room on the 4, and probably the 6 and Junglas as well.

Sharp mind, I wonder that as well, it's such a useful feature I think all of the knives with handles long enough should have that option.

I am waiting on my 5 but have the jungles and number 6. I havevused the 6 and love it.

You can't go wrong with esee

The 5 is a stout heavy knife. It is more of a special purpose knife than the 4 or 6.

Well crud. Just when I decide the 5 is a no go, some follks post how great it is. I might just eventually have to get both to try them myself. Might take awhile since I have a couple other knife preorders I've comitted to that should be delivering in the next couple of weeks.

Am I correct in that neither the 5 or 6 come with the molle backing for the sheath. This is a seperate item to purchase correct? Just wanting to confirm since I know you can get the 3 and 4 with or without.

Back