Why Is The Sebenza 21 Better Than The 31?

Razor

Gold Member
I just bought a used 21 Insingo because I like that blade shape. I was wonder why everyone seems to think the 21 is better than the 31? Do you think they will make anymore 21's?

The 21 isn’t necessarily “better” than the 31 but is more desirable to many CRK enthusiasts due to it being discontinued along with some owners reporting early teething problems with their 31s. Also, there aren’t any Insingo or Tanto 31s as of yet.

depends on what you like, but I like the simplicity of the 21 , which also reflects the original deign well. There are those that feel the 31 is an upgrade. I just don't feel the (so called ) upgrade was in any way needed other that from a business perspective.
They are likely to both be popular, but maybe not with the same people

one could only hope! they would bring back 21's into production, just me over-thinking things tough.:rolleyes:

The 21’s ar no longer being produced. What’s on the shelves are the last of them, unless you buy used. There will always be 21’s for sell on the secondary market.
Some people don’t like change and have a hard time accepting the changes. Don’t know if the 21 is better than the 31, I don’t have a 31 yet.
Personally, the 25, Inkosi and Umnumzaan are more my choice which have the ceramic ball interface. IMO, the insingo Inkosi is a good work knife.

I got a large 31 and now have 2 large 21’s to compare with it. I like the 31 better. It feels more solid to me and I like the lockup more. The 21’s both have pretty light lock bar tension and detents.

Before the “issue” of lock bar flex comes up as the reason the 31’s are junk, here’s what I find funny about this. When reading old threads about 21 lock slip, I loved all the comments saying to not force the spine of the blade down because you’re putting unnecessary force on the lock face. Now all of a sudden that seems to be the test to slam the construction of the 31. I find it completely ridiculous and hypocritical.

I got a large 31 and now have 2 large 21’s to compare with it. I like the 31 better. It feels more solid to me and I like the lockup more. The 21’s both have pretty light lock bar tension and detents.

Before the “issue” of lock bar flex comes up as the reason the 31’s are junk, here’s what I find funny about this. When reading old threads about 21 lock slip, I loved all the comments saying to not force the spine of the blade down because you’re putting unnecessary force on the lock face. Now all of a sudden that seems to be the test to slam the construction of the 31. I find it completely ridiculous and hypocritical.

I had the opposite experience. I sold my 31, much prefer the lockup on the 21 - felt much more solid than my 31 . I think the 31 is just a cost cutting exercise...

21's have lock slip? Guess I am learning something new everyday. Or maybe you guys are talking about the Demko video comparing Sebenza 21 with a Cold Steel folder?

21's have lock slip? Guess I am learning something new everyday. Or maybe you guys are talking about the Demko video comparing Sebenza 21 with a Cold Steel folder?

Just got a 21 that was spa’d a few years ago and then stored in the box, not carried again. In trying the spine pressure test like people are doing to the 31, the lock slips pretty easily. Upon reading threads here about the same issue, it looks like I’ll have to send it back to get looked at. I have no clue what video you’re talking about.

Last edited:
"Better" is subjective. Newcomers to CRK shouldn't feel like they are missing out by any means, but existing CRK fans are probably more likely feel let down by 31, as the 21 harkens back to the construction and operation of Chris's original Sebenza designs and was his final design before taking his hands off the company; thus many might even view it as the pinnacle of Sebenza design. The 31 on the other hand has a few changes that I don't think are necessarily bad but definitely a departure from how Chris designed the Sebenza himself, even though he designed the new elements that it incorporates for other knives and just didn't put them on the Sebenza. The biggest thing I miss about the 21 is the personal touch needed to hand fit the lock bar to the tang. Though time will tell if the ceramic ball interface will prove any functional advantage.

I have both and I kinda like the 21 better probably because I'm a sucker for nostalgic things but the 31 hasn't let me down in any way either. What I'd really like to hear is Chris Reeve's personal opinion on the 31 and whether he ever would've incorporated any of the changes himself. I think that would really put the 31-vs-21 debate to bed finally.

What I'd really like to hear is Chris Reeve's personal opinion on the 31 and whether he ever would've incorporated any of the changes himself. I think that would really put the 31-vs-21 debate to bed finally.

Looks like the debate will never end! :)

The 21’s weren’t being made during the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Mostly this ^^^^.

The Sebenza 21 was manufactured in “The Age of Reason”. Now that we have entered “The Age of Emotion” all that matters is how a few people feel about something and any version of truth is possible. Facts are out the window, and the hive-mind is all powerful. I may be wrong......

I love the Insingo blade shape and hope to pick up a L31 in that pattern when they hit the street. At that point, I’ll be able to judge for myself........I hope!

Back