Why Is The Sebenza 21 Better Than The 31?

There was the exact same discussion when the 21 replaced the Regular. Some will like the 31 more, others will still prefer the 21. Nobody will know till they get one in hand for themselves. I love all the versions for different reasons, at least the ones I've owned, but with that said, still waiting to try a 31. I'm also not one to rush out and get first production runs either, just based on life experiences with all types of products, there is always a V2, weather we know it or not.

Reactions: 353
When I can get a lefty version, insingo blade, in S45VN steel, I'll be checking one out for sure.

21 is the closest thing to a CHRIS REEVE sebenza we have left. The 31 is a TIM REEVE knife. I have first hand encountered lock failure on ceramic ball lockup CRK. Have a nice scar that reminds me. The 21 is discontinued. The 31 is its “ much unseeded upgrade” and is cost cutting like all the other crap you see around the world. An upgrade with the annual-like inlays and crooked clip would have been enough. The ceramic ball lock detent was its downgrade. Luckily for US, they made a hell of a lot more 21’s than regulars so there should be 21’s around for a long long time. Glad your enjoying your 21 Insingo. It’s a very user friendly Blade profile and a great design

I’m waiting patiently for the bhq cf seb with the upgraded steel and ht... I’ll be able to cut the hell out of an envelope with that

I am too looking forward to S45VN, but with the ceramic ball lockup, I am going to another brand for that. I honestly never noticed the HT difference in the S35VN, so looking forward to what S45VN will bring.

It's either an "H" or it won't cut!!That's a real Sebenza... Everytime a new model/ steel gets introduced, the debate begins anew! Enjoy what you're lucky enough to have! I can't wait to get that new S 55 that's surely just around the bend.....

Umnumzaans were released in 2008? Wasn't Chris in charge back then and wouldn't that make the ceramic ball a Chris idea?

I was referring to the Sebenza 21 and earlier and their lockup geometry.

You stated that the ceramic ball lock was a downgrade, do you think the same about the Umnumzaan?

A zaan is what closed on my hand. I do not trust them. I had 3 Zaans and 2 had lock failure. The 3rd was never carried. All were OP. I have a 25 that served me well, but never fully trusted it and watched how I used it. The 31 has thinner blade stock, so would trust it even less. It’s basically a slipjoint and should be treated as such.

It’s basically a slipjoint and should be treated as such.

As a collector of slipjoints, mostly handmades, this is a comical statement lol. I have first hand encountered lock failure on a 21 doing the same spine pushing test as people like to do to the 31 to fault the ceramic ball. Seems it can happen with both models and there’s threads proving other instances with the 21 as well.

As a collector of slipjoints, mostly handmades, this is a comical statement lol. I have first hand encountered lock failure on a 21 doing the same spine pushing test as people like to do to the 31 to fault the ceramic ball. Seems it can happen with both models and there’s threads proving other instances with the 21 as well.

I have owned several hundred 21 and older Sebenzas with never a single failure. Both new and very heavily used. I have had a couple dozen mnandi also with never an issue. All use the same lockup design. I had a handful of ceramic ball CRK and 2 had failures.
People can believe what they want to believe based on forum threads. My experience is hands on.

People can believe what they want to believe based on forum threads. My experience is hands on.

You used every single one of those several hundred Sebenzas in the same manner to know that none of them would fail like your ceramic ball knives? Your experiment and hands on experience are obviously tainted if not.

People do believe what gets posted in threads and there’s a recurring theme from the same handful of people that the 31’s are flawed in some major way, making its way into every single thread on the subject. Your personal experience doesn’t speak for every knife. There’s already been hands on reports of the newest 31’s coming out being better than the initial release so it seems like things are getting figured out.

You used every single one of those several hundred Sebenzas in the same manner to know that none of them would fail like your ceramic ball knives? Your experiment and hands on experience are obviously tainted if not.

People do believe what gets posted in threads and there’s a recurring theme from the same handful of people that the 31’s are flawed in some major way, making its way into every single thread on the subject. Your personal experience doesn’t speak for every knife. There’s already been hands on reports of the newest 31’s coming out being better than the initial release so it seems like things are getting figured out.
The ceramic ball ones failed easily and closed like a slip joint. Sadly I no longer have the old videos to share the failures. Some people need to see first hand.

21 is the closest thing to a CHRIS REEVE sebenza we have left. The 31 is a TIM REEVE knife. I have first hand encountered lock failure on ceramic ball lockup CRK

Didn't Chris bring the ceramic ball to the Umnumzaan in '08? I'm always surprised to see what you say based on zero experience.

It's simple.

Don't you have a Spyderco forum you should be in? Maybe time to get that profile text changed again.

Back