Why is the Swiss Army classic, a "classic"?

jeffsenpai

Gold Member
Semi-rant here.

I enjoy collecting and the idea of collecting Swiss Army knives with unique scales, and there are so many variants of the Classic out there with some really nifty designs. They make great gifts too, since you can tailor the knife to the interests of your giftee.

My only problem is my beef with the Classic - The scissors! for me a useless accessory - I really wish The Rally would supplant the Classic with design popularity.

They are essentially the same knife, but instead of scissors, with the Rally we get a bottle opener/phillips screwdriver. I think I use the bottle opener more than any other tool on the knife, while I don't believe I have ever used a pair of scissors on any of my SAKs.

1st world problems, my personal frustration! We could even split the difference and nominate the Rambler as a replacement for the Classic!

Scissors are great if your lady needs a loose thread or a wild hair (her's or yours, nose or otherwise) cut.
If you go to cut a thread or hair with scissors, no one pays you any mind. Go to cut the same thread or hair with a knife blade ... Your lady, those around you, (and any LEO/Security with-in sight) may misunderstand your intentions.

My SAK of choice is the Huntsman, because of the scissors ... and the saw ... :D

I wouldn't give it a second thought if the scissors weren't there, that's why I have carried a classic so much.

In fact if it had a bottle opener on it I would pass even if it still had scissors.

The scissors are great if you are a fisherman and are tying and retying line. However, I have carried a Rally for about a decade now on my keys in support of other knives that do not have a cap-lifter.

I've been carrying a classic since about 1995ish, and the scissors are used as much as the blade. Snipping fishing line, trying lures, cutting price tags, cutting small zip ties, trimming stray mustache or beard or nose hairs, trimming fingernails when needed, and odd hobby use now and then.

To me, the classic has what I need on a daily basis, and nothing I don't need. Teamed up with a small friction folder like a Higonokami, Resolza, or number 4 or 5 Opinel, its all I need for most my days as a urban/suburban dweller of society.

We were lined up just about to start my oldest grandson’s wedding ceremony several years ago when I noticed the vent was still tacked shut on his brand new sport coat. Five seconds with the Classic scissors and we were on our way. (Faster and safer than a knife blade!)

Scissors are an indispensable tool, but the Micra’s are much better. SAK scissors are almost useless, and when the springs break they are completely useless. My Micra is always on me, so I can choose my SAKs without regard to scissors.

Scissors are an indispensable tool, but the Micra’s are much better. SAK scissors are almost useless, and when the springs break they are completely useless. My Micra is always on me, so I can choose my SAKs without regard to scissors.

I really tried to like the micra. Really. But the inside opening tools was just too much a PITA for me, and I went with the Squirt. Its been 6 years now and I still love my squirt as much as then. For all intents, it has phased out my classic, but I still find myself drawn to the classic maybe for sentimental reasons? Who knows. But the squirt will do all a 58mm SAK will and 1,000% more. Yeah, its a bit heavier. But the Leatherman scissors are not as good as the Victorinox, but they do function decent enough.

My only complaint is, the Leatherman has some design defect, that the scissors spring on the squirt seems to break every few years, and even though Leatherman is good about getting a new squirt to me in a few weeks, its an inconvenience compared to how the Victorinox scissors spring can be replaced in about a minute and a half with a awl and small hammer to drive out the old spring stub, and tap in the new one.

A broken scissors spring is easily replaceable, and can be ordered from several retailers. If the blades are broken, that's another story for we non-expert restorers.

To me, the scissors are the only thing that make me want to carry a SAK. Before I traveled so much I kept a Manager (?) on my keychain. Tiny little thing but extremely handy in a pinch. Seriously used the scissors on an almost-daily basis. Pen (writing pen not pen blade) came in very handy too.

My favorite theoretical combination is the Huntsman (even bigger scissors) but the thing is just a hair too thick to fit comfortably in my pocket. Some of them come with a belt sheath but that’s a bridge too far, for me personally.

I carry a classic on my truck keys everyday. My grandfather carried one with his keys everyday. In fact, the classic is the only knife I truly “EDC”. The small blade and scissors have cut more things then any of my other knives combined.

Back