Why knife manufactures don't give us what we want?

Here to share some of my thought, not to offend anyone :)

In my relatively short knife collecting journey, I run into some issues that are really really frustrating. I feel like some manufacturers are (even purposely) not giving us what we want. For instance, Hinderer knife, I have been looking for a smooth Ti scale for 3 inch xm18 for ages. It's sold out everywhere and many of my friends are waiting for more to be released. But I think it never happened. From a business standpoint, why?? I personally contacted them through email, ins and the only response I got is "they don't know". There are 3-inch scales with crazy anodizing, and engravings all over the place but they just can't produce the smooth version? Are the clean looking scales reserved only for his custom now? I don't get it.
I run into some occasions like this with other brands as well, but this is the only one came across my head at the moment and the most depressing fact I have to deal with :(

Just my personal experience and I might be very wrong. Forgive me if I'm too aggressive, maybe I'm just too crazy about a clean looking full Ti 3'' xm18. Have you ever had the same feeling? Share it if you feel so.

A stock photo from monkyedge: https://cdn3.volusion.com/cwhhs.ntmeb/v/vspfiles/photos/RHK0201-3.jpg?1369404769

They probably do it just to aggravate you.

Couldn't be that they have a lot of irons in the fire at the Ranch, new fixed blade dropping and the Full Track coming. Dizzying array of hardware options, lots of others that are currently unavailable.

They probably do it just to aggravate you.

Couldn't be that they have a lot of irons in the fire at the Ranch, new fixed blade dropping and the Full Track coming. Dizzying array of hardware options, lots of others that are currently unavailable.
I understand where you come from, and I agree. But they didn't provide it in the past several years, that's why I'm so depressed. Some people would buy a 3'' just for the smooth ti scale alone and put it on their newer gens 3'' xm18.

And I don't pretend to understand how they prioritize their production, but keeping everyone happy all the time is not really a possibility.
@whitty was showing off Cu hardware on a halftrack today, scale screws that weren't copper stuck out like a sore thumb. He says they're coming...

Some people don’t like ideas unless it’s their own. With time they may forget and think they came up with it themselves.

And I don't pretend to understand how they prioritize their production, but keeping everyone happy all the time is not really a possibility.
@whitty was showing off Cu hardware on a halftrack today, scale screws that weren't copper stuck out like a sore thumb. He says they're coming...
The 3'' smooth ti scales are coming? Am I understanding that right?

Unsolicited life advice, relax a little. Maybe its keyboard hyperbole but no knife is worth being depressed over. You've let them know you are interested in it, other people may have done the same, and someday it may happen. Some companies have longer design cycles than others. It took over a decade of people doing Victorinox pioneer mods before the pioneer x came out, and it took several years for leatherman to do a rescue skeletool. If a company thinks they can sell a thing they will. The leatherman signal is a case in point, I think its a little silly, but people wanted something like that, so they came up with it.
Point is, that the more you hype that knife up in your mind, the more disappointed you will be, because happiness doesn't come from stuff grasshopper. It comes from enjoying life. Or you spend money you don't have on knives you don't like. But you do you boo, its not my life to live.

I don't know why they don't do regular runs of the 3" ti. I too was looking for one and by some miracle found one tonight on an exchange, so don't give up hope. You might find it a slight bit easier to find one on a knife for sale. Strip the scale off and resell. Something like this might also show up at Blade .
Good luck

I don't know why they don't do regular runs of the 3" ti. I too was looking for one and by some miracle found one tonight on an exchange, so don't give up hope. You might find it a slight bit easier to find one on a knife for sale. Strip the scale off and resell. Something like this might also show up at Blade .
Good luck
Thanks man! I'm glad that you got what you want, hopefully mine doesn't let me wait toooooo long lol

Unsolicited life advice, relax a little. Maybe its keyboard hyperbole but no knife is worth being depressed over. You've let them know you are interested in it, other people may have done the same, and someday it may happen. Some companies have longer design cycles than others. It took over a decade of people doing Victorinox pioneer mods before the pioneer x came out, and it took several years for leatherman to do a rescue skeletool. If a company thinks they can sell a thing they will. The leatherman signal is a case in point, I think its a little silly, but people wanted something like that, so they came up with it.
Point is, that the more you hype that knife up in your mind, the more disappointed you will be, because happiness doesn't come from stuff grasshopper. It comes from enjoying life. Or you spend money you don't have on knives you don't like. But you do you boo, its not my life to live.
Thanks! ;)

Yea. You simply just cant make everyone happy. What I want isn’t what you want. And cost is probably an issue. But sometimes we all agree and the company picks up on it and we actually get it. Like a gen 6 xm-18 with bearings. But someone else is now pissed that he has to switch it back to teflon himself.

Maybe to build suspense. So when it comes out it sells out fast. Maybe smooth titanium is to smooth and not in. Hell i want a xm18 3.5 skinny with no choil. Then scales on both sides. One can only hope.

There are several manufacturers that have me miffed, but I'm a very small segment of their sales. I don't think they care at all, yet I completely realize that my wishes are not simple to do, or cheap.

I've emailed the CEO, VPs, and even joined their forums and dropped on them what I was looking for and never heard a peep back.

They are either blind morons and cannot see the potential or they are as dumb as rocks.

KA-BAR/EK
- I asked them to manufacture a fully exposed tang KA-BAR fighter out of S35VN...or heck, whatever, just better than 1095/440C and a rat tang.
- I asked them to rerun an allotment of EK knives in S35VN again.

SPYDERCO
- I asked them to create a Custom Shop, as done by many other top tier knife manufacturers, and slow the use of sprint runs. This would allow them to sell a knife with 2 or 3 different steels and handles for 6 months to a year...as opposed to selling 500 knives and never selling that knife again. This allows buyers the opportunity to save and buy the knife they want. That would result in more esoteric steels getting in to the hands of clients.
- I asked them to please make more fixed blades, and with nickel/brass single hilts. Most of their fixed blades have handles slapped and glued on and I want a better knife using their awesome blade steels. I'm going to buy whatever I have too, but the knives are dangerous. If your hand slips...it will be down on the blade!

Yea. You simply just cant make everyone happy. What I want isn’t what you want. And cost is probably an issue. But sometimes we all agree and the company picks up on it and we actually get it. Like a gen 6 xm-18 with bearings. But someone else is now pissed that he has to switch it back to teflon himself.
Lol true. Mine are actually at Razer edge knives for a flipper delete. And yes, I did switched to phosphor bronze washer. But at least there is opinion... I even asked around for a custom made Ti front scale but sadly no one takes the order. And I get it, too much work for a one-off job.

There are several manufacturers that have me miffed, but I'm a very small segment of their sales. I don't think they care at all, yet I completely realize that my wishes are not simple to do, or cheap.

I've emailed the CEO, VPs, and even joined their forums and dropped on them what I was looking for and never heard a peep back.

They are either blind morons and cannot see the potential or they are as dumb as rocks.

KA-BAR/EK
- I asked them to manufacture a fully exposed tang KA-BAR fighter out of S35VN...or heck, whatever, just better than 1095/440C and a rat tang.
- I asked them to rerun an allotment of EK knives in S35VN again.

SPYDERCO
- I asked them to create a Custom Shop, as done by many other top tier knife manufacturers, and slow the use of sprint runs. This would allow them to sell a knife with 2 or 3 different steels and handles for 6 months to a year...as opposed to selling 500 knives and never selling that knife again. This allows buyers the opportunity to save and buy the knife they want. That would result in more esoteric steels getting in to the hands of clients.
- I asked them to please make more fixed blades, and with nickel/brass single hilts. Most of their fixed blades have handles slapped and glued on and I want a better knife using their awesome blade steels. I'm going to buy whatever I have too, but the knives are dangerous. If your hand slips...it will be down on the blade!
I’m sorry for such unhappy experiences of yours yet I’m happy to know that I’m not alone lol.

Maybe to build suspense. So when it comes out it sells out fast. Maybe smooth titanium is to smooth and not in. Hell i want a xm18 3.5 skinny with no choil. Then scales on both sides. One can only hope.
Man I wish they think suspense is well saturated by now. I think gpknives has some xm18 without choil but not sure about skinny grind.

Lol true. Mine are actually at Razer edge knives for a flipper delete. And yes, I did switched to phosphor bronze washer. But at least there is opinion... I even asked around for a custom made Ti front scale but sadly no one takes the order. And I get it, too much work for a one-off job.
Might have better luck in shaving down a fatty.

Back