Why knife manufactures don't give us what we want?

Funny thread. I agree we live in a world of choices. So many variables out there.

If someone wants a custom then ask a custom builder.

Buck is going to offer a flipper in 2019. It's a 100k investment in tooling, manufacturing and marketing. That's why we don't always get what we want. So buck offers a custom shop for the next best thing.

Hold on...
wahmbulance.jpg
howd ya know im licensed to drive it?:)

If an anodized scale is available then just get that and strip off the finish (sand, brush, sand-blast, tumble, etc). Problem solved.

If it's just a presentation side scale then you can make one yourself, or have one made. There are a couple guys that can do it.

Lack of manufacturer options = more creativity required on your end ;)

I wonder if its because so many knife users and enthusiasts are done with smooth metal scales, after learning the hard way that they are about as easy to hold on to as a greased pig - if your hands are sweaty, or if used in the rain, or even if it's cold enough and you're not wearing gloves?

Leaving the smooth metal scale market to collectors who don't use their expensive knives for anything more than opening the mail, and the 'gee whiz I love flippin' this thing while watching TV and it doesn't seem slippery then' crowd...

All that being said, I did have a CRK Sebenza with smooth scales that was easier to hold on to than most knives I've used with smooth metal scales. But more often than not, when I see a knife that I might otherwise be interested in with smooth metal scales - or even slightly textured ones - the word SLIPPERY comes to mind and I generally move on at that point.

For instance, Hinderer knife, I have been looking for a smooth Ti scale for 3 inch xm18 for ages. It's sold out everywhere and many of my friends are waiting for more to be released. But I think it never happened. From a business standpoint, why??

Last edited:
Do you really think knife manufacturers are going to change their business models just to suit YOUR individual wants? Really?

Are you on Spyderco Forums?

24x7x365 people suggest and harass @Sal for different knives. My suggestions are no different.

Maybe Rick just doesn't like them. It's his company afterall. He can make what he wants to make and someone usually comes along and buys it.

I'm not a knifemaker, but I have been known to make burgers from time to time. If you ask for onions, pickles, or mustard you can have them. Even a fried egg is usually doable. If however you request that I put ketchup on a burger you'll politely be asked to f*** off. If you want to ruin it yourself after it's made, go right ahead, but I refuse to put some watery tomato afterbirth on an otherwise noble sandwich. Perhaps Rick feels the same about smooth Ti on a 3" XM-18?

Maybe Rick just doesn't like them. It's his company afterall. He can make what he wants to make and someone usually comes along and buys it.

I'm not a knifemaker, but I have been known to make burgers from time to time. If you ask for onions, pickles, or mustard you can have them. Even a fried egg is usually doable. If however you request that I put ketchup on a burger you'll politely be asked to f*** off. If you want to ruin it yourself after it's made, go right ahead, but I refuse to put some watery tomato afterbirth on an otherwise noble sandwich. Perhaps Rick feels the same about smooth Ti on a 3" XM-18?
Pass the ketchup please.:):)

It is a limited market for the smooth 3" ti scale. They do go for $200. The fact that they are so hard to come by makes that easier to swallow and makes for good sales when he does make them.

...I refuse to put some watery tomato afterbirth on an otherwise noble sandwich.

LOL! :D:thumbsup:

24x7x365 people suggest and harass @Sal for different knives. My suggestions are no different.

I think you would do well to apologize to Sal/Eric/Spyderco, both here and on that forum, for baselessly insulting them.

Then, email Benchmade and ask them for a 943-2 :thumbsup: *Edit: Politely.*

Last edited:
Pushing the first-world problems one step’further I would very much like to have a slip joint version of the spyderco native 5 lightweight... seriously

I love the ergonomics on the native and as I am leaned ne more and more toward the slip joints it will make something nice for men ;)

Pushing the first-world problems one step’further I would very much like to have a slip joint version of the spyderco native 5 lightweight... seriously

I love the ergonomics on the native and as I am leaned ne more and more toward the slip joints it will make something nice for men ;)

How about a slip-joint version of the Cold Steel Tuff Lite?
Perfect useful working knife for the UK and anywhere else with silly knife laws. :thumbsup:

Not getting what you want; any other lefties* out there?

* left handed people, not those one the left of the political spectrum

Yep, I'm on there. Yes, your suggestions are WAY different. Those folks don't insult Sal and company when they make a request. Your requests are unachievable, and so far-fetched that I would bet a brand new $100 bill, that YOUR suggestions will NEVER come to fruition. You probably need to apologize to Sal and company for your insults. It's like kicking Santa Claus in the nuts before you sit on his lap and tell him what you want for Christmas. :confused:

You've lost a lot of respect from this forum's members, for comments like that...

Last edited:
Back