Why no love for the Navy Knife?

It only takes one mistake to drop that blade on the bail and your knifes damaged. It is too delicate for practical use for that reason alone.

I don't like it because it's not even a sheepsfoot, and I won't touch anything with a bail.

I have thought of modifying one. Well, let me rephrase that: I thought of buying one and having it modified. :D

Having carried and used the Cranberry Jigged Bone Rope Knife that I have, I don't see much functional difference in the blade compared to a sheepsfoot, which is to say that I find it to be a perfectly acceptable (if, admittedly, somewhat unique looking) EDC blade.

Great knife, some of the best-looking bone GEC have ever done, and in my opinion, you'd have to be a total doughnut to drop the blade on this bail (it's a stiff bail) :rolleyes:

Agreed (on all counts). :D

I have thought of modifying one. Well, let me rephrase that: I thought of buying one and having it modified. :D

I'd have to look for the thread, but I seem to recall someone on here turning one into a wharncliffe. It looked alright.

I'd have to look for the thread, but I seem to recall someone on here turning one into a wharncliffe. It looked alright.

That's what made me consider it. I cant remember what they did but I recall what you are refering too.

I really liked the look of this knife. I purchased one in the Old Barn Chestnut. I was on the fence about using and pocketing a knife with a bail, but knew that going in I would want to keep it as most of the historical knives had bails for practical purposes. After living with it, and using it for a while it's become one of my favorites. I also look forward to pocket time with this knife. Just thought I would put up an opinion from the "other side".

I'm an odd duck and really do like the knife. I have all of Charlies SFO's, I carry the cranberry for fancy outings but this canvas with satin bolster and blade is most carried. I removed the bail then reinserted the pin, peened it and is a work knife of mine:thumbup:

Sorry for the crappy picture but it's late here so an indoor pic it is;)

9Xae5n.jpg

Another in poor light since I'm at it:eek:

o9bHFK.jpg

Like many I didn't buy any of #15 Rope knives. They look nice, but the blade shape combined with the EZ open notch just wasn't my cup of tea this time. Its great to see that some folks really like the knife and use it. Its also great that we have so many GEC patterns to choose from, so there's something for everybody. For example I have several versions of the GEC 15 with the "one arm" razor blade, I think its an interesting pattern and I love opening the blade on a belt loop, shoe heel , etc. Of course after several years this knife is still available new from dealers, so I guess it wasn't a big seller either. It kind of looks like a "novelty", but its actually practical, useful and fun to carry. So, I think the #15 Rope knife is in a similar category, not for everyone.

That's what made me consider it. I cant remember what they did but I recall what you are refering too.

Here's the one (well, two) that I was thinking of, from the modified production knives (traditional) thread.

Nice work fellas!

Here's a Navy knife I converted to a warncliffe.

attachment.php

Nah, don't sweat it sir! The tip ended up plenty thick. Here's my Ramrodded Navy in poor lighting:

20161130_213002.jpg

20161130_212914.jpg

I think I'll leave the etch on for now, I kinda like it. I also did a subtle drawn swedge that came out better than expected. Thanks for the inspiration! I love it!!

I love my burnt orange in SS! Mainly for those two reasons, not all that useful otherwise.

I had a Cranberry Jigged Bone one but I traded it for something I prefer and can actually use. Basically, I agree with Cory's analysis from the previous page, plus it just seems like the 15 frame accomodating whimsy. It ought to be bigger and simpler. Well made certainly, but not made for any of my uses and I can't see the point of an EZ-Open notch when you have so much blade protruding anyway?

However, I like the Wharrncliffe conversion, much more suited to the frame. Odd that the Wharncliffe has not been offered on the ever popular 15 pattern.

To me the blade is something different than a sheepfoot and I just don't like the way they look. I don't like the way the blade sits so high and although 15's and 77's are my favorite frames just because a knife is built on one of these doesn't automatically mean I want one.

I really like the looks of the SFOs made for Charlie. The jigging is the best I've seen on a GEC made knife, and I also like the details on the bail and bolsters. The long pull and swedge makes it a beautiful knife.

The GEC and Tidioute branded ones look rather boring in comparison.

I wasn't able to buy one of the SFOs when they were available, and I can't find them in stock anywhere now.

As can bee seen, it's a matter of 0 or 1, either you like it or not. I do like rope knife pattern I think it is fascinating pattern with historical roots, a fact that always adds a special flavor to the knie. I had few vintage knives that I had sold, and now I have Davison knife that is very similar to this pattern. I find it very useful slicer and the lack of point does not matter to me.
I have never owned GEC rope so I can't refer specifically to this knife, but I like what I see.
Here's Todd's photo of the knife that is right now in my pocket

kkR2o6Z.jpg

Mike

Wow, that's a nice one Mike! :) :thumbup:

Back