Why No More BK 20's

I'm ok with making more. It can be a yearly limited edition with different colored micarta scales or blade coating. Release it around the same time every year so everyone knows it's coming and have the money on hand.
I didn't like how it rolled in my hand with stock plastic scales so I put micarta scales on and it made a big difference for me.

Rember way back when everyone did not like that they had to get 3 knives together. Fast forward to today BK4 $100-$175, BK5 $100-$175, BK20 0r the BK29 $200-$400 . Hood a thunk good luck on your Hunt they out there and for cheap if you get lucky.

mkUqAbY.png

nGNsJye.png

9byDpWO.jpg

Yeah, that bundle was a bit to much then and now I can only watch that BK20 online... I keep my hopes up for a BK2L and then will be made whole :)

Imho, in this day and age, I really don't blame the manufacturers for doing this. With most things being made elsewhere these days, it assures that the manufacturers are not left with products they can't sell. They don't make money if they have to sit on a batch for 10 yrs before they are all sold.
Yes, it is very frustrating to find a knife you love only to find out it's no longer being made. But fortunately, the internet makes it MUCH EASIER to obtain something that is no longer produced, even though you may have to pay top dollar for it. I was in the exact same situation with the BK-10 Crewman. Luckily, someone was kind enough to start producing them again.

I don't understand the having 1/4 inch stock in the grip but not in the majority of the blade stock. why not just use a thinner stock to began with. Unless Im wrong and the grind isn't full height. whats the reasoning having the swedge going almost the entire length?

I don't understand the having 1/4 inch stock in the grip but not in the majority of the blade stock. why not just use a thinner stock to began with. Unless Im wrong and the grind isn't full height. whats the reasoning having the swedge going almost the entire length?

Ka-Bar deals in 1/4" and 3/16" stock, so I guess they had to pick one.
I bet "FULL 1/4" stock!" sells lots of knives. Or "1/4" thick at the tang!!".

What's the actual thickness across the peaks on the 'not-flats' of the blade?

I’m guessing they did it to remove some weight and maybe help with balance. It’s definitely an aide to get your knife out of a splitting knot jam. The skeleton tang is 1/4” and makes the grip just the right thickness IMO. No need to add liners using stock micarta. Heaver blades feel a lot better in my hand when swinging if the handle Isn’t too thin. It allows a more relaxed grip

Sometimes it can also depend on where you are in life or where you are in the food chain, so to speak.

If you are up in age, have arthritis, a heavy chunk of steel my not be the best choice. Bu if you are a big person, farmboy or bodybuilder, it would not be an issue. I know I can really feel it the day after a heavy chopping session, and after splitting wood. Sucks getting older & having issues. Just a different set of thoughts on the matter, that's all.

yes, it reduces weight by an ounce - probably not much more.
that does, however, improve the balance significantly.
what it really does, though, is enhance cutting efficiency when cutting through softer materials like meat by removing drag.
Same logic as the swedge on the BK5.

yes, it reduces weight by an ounce - probably not much more.
that does, however, improve the balance significantly.
what it really does, though, is enhance cutting efficiency when cutting through softer materials like meat by removing drag.
Same logic as the swedge on the BK5.

Me personally, id Love if the BK5 didn't have that swedge.
It's my favorite of the Beckers.
And I know the knife would be better without it.

Back