Why so sharp?

i use 30* per side, alot. in fact, 25* per side is as acute as i go.

ETA - unless the measurements on the Lansky are referring to inclusive.

Yes measurements on the lansky. Thanks for that bit of info , i was woundering if the Lansky angles were inclusive.
I tested it today chopping some Aussie hard wood , It came out with flying colours.
When my strop comes i will give that a go also.

Last edited:
(sorry, can't go into detail, YET)

i saw a man hit another man in the upper arm, near the deltoid, with a cheap sword. he used a two handed grip and looked like he was swinging for a home run. the guy on the receiving end, who actually went to jail, had a small scratch that required a BANDAID.

now, in all fairness, the BG was wearing a long sleeve shirt and the GG used a more of a hack, he didn't draw through the cut the way i would've. however, it still made me think - had he wacked him that hard with one of my blades, there'd've been a pretty big mess. btw - i felt the edge on the sword, it wasn't exactly dull, just wasn't the "crazy sharp" we all seem to prefer and now i feel i have a good reason to prefer them.
Did he hit the guy with the spine instead of the edge? It is difficult to believe that the injury was so minor. My yard machete would have removed the whole arm. Your point about the drawing cut is well taken.

I guess I'll let other people spend hours on the grindstone getting their knives to be lightsabers. Usually I just spend a half hour on some stones, whatever edge I have at the end of that, I keep and move on with my life. If it's awful, I'll make sure it's at least to my benchmark, and then just make a note to fix it next week when I need to sharpen the knife again.

I refuse to spend hours polishing a knife just to have all that work wasted in the first two days of use. I have better things to do with my time, sorry.

I guess I'll let other people spend hours on the grindstone getting their knives to be lightsabers. Usually I just spend a half hour on some stones, whatever edge I have at the end of that, I keep and move on with my life. If it's awful, I'll make sure it's at least to my benchmark, and then just make a note to fix it next week when I need to sharpen the knife again.

I refuse to spend hours polishing a knife just to have all that work wasted in the first two days of use. I have better things to do with my time, sorry.

Apology accepted......I'm with you, I sharpen til I'm satisfied I have an edge that will cut stuff.....but I also appreciate that sharpening is an art and a hobby practiced by many, and that's cool with me too.

Ok so it seems like its split here on crazy sharp or utility sharp. Now do you guys that go crazy sharp do it free hand or with a machine of some sort.

Ok so it seems like its split here on crazy sharp or utility sharp. Now do you guys that go crazy sharp do it free hand or with a machine of some sort.

I use both. Depends on the steel, size, bevel, etc. Every knife is different, each has it's own feel and balance. Every tool, machine, person, thing does. Some methods work better than others depending on the results you want.

I am not sure why you thing that sharpen knife to hair whittling sharpness takes so much time. I do this for less then half hour, until it is severely damaged. It take me 15-20 minutes to do this not hours. To restore edge after light use - much less.

I think you you just need to learn how to sharpen and in result have good sharpness in less time then you spend now. And do not spend your life resharpening it again and again - if you have better things to do with your time.

Thanks, Vassili.

I am not sure why you thing that sharpen knife to hair whittling sharpness takes so much time. I do this for less then half hour, until it is severely damaged. It take me 15-20 minutes to do this not hours. To restore edge after light use - much less.

I think you you just need to learn how to sharpen and in result have good sharpness in less time then you spend now. And do not spend your life resharpening it again and again - if you have better things to do with your time.

Thanks, Vassili.

double tap

Last edited:

Thanks, Vassili.
very true. reprofiling takes time, restoring a damaged edge takes time. going to a polish from a factory grind might take some time, but not hours.
and maintaining a polished edge is fairly easy. A lot of people strop and they bring an edge right back to an amazing sharpness in a small amount of time.

Keeping your edge in shape is the best way to put the least amount of time in keeping your blade sharp.

Thanks, Vassili.

Quick to insult? No wonder you're so loved everywhere on the forum. I'll let people like knifeknutter and Ankerson spend hours on the Edge Pro and their DMT stones to get those super polished, shedding water edges.

But I can get hair whittling just fine in a half hour, I just didn't think this was a measuring contest. Do I need to post some sort of proof to get an icon in my profile or will you take my word?

But seriously, when people like knifeknowitall say they sharpened a knife for ten hours to get literally The Perfect Edge, while it looks gorgeous... :shrug:

I might just switch to paper wheels instead of freehand. Seems like you can save so much more time and get a perfect edge.

edit:

4444256926_79d95daf33_z.jpg

Like I said, quick to insult - photo was from 4/8/2010

Last edited:
Quick to insult? No wonder you're so loved everywhere on the forum. I'll let people like knifeknutter and Ankerson spend hours on the Edge Pro and their DMT stones to get those super polished, shedding water edges.

But I can get hair whittling just fine in a half hour, I just didn't think this was a measuring contest. Do I need to post some sort of proof to get an icon in my profile or will you take my word?

But seriously, when people like knifeknowitall say they sharpened a knife for ten hours to get literally The Perfect Edge, while it looks gorgeous... :shrug:

I might just switch to paper wheels instead of freehand. Seems like you can save so much more time and get a perfect edge.

edit:

4444256926_79d95daf33_z.jpg

Like I said, quick to insult - photo was from 4/8/2010

Insult?

Sorry, must be my Russian cultural difference.

I just sad that to get best sharpness known so far (at least to me) - you do not need to spend hours - less then half hour (you mentioned in you post). And if you learn how to do this in 15-20 minutes you will save time with resharpening. I understand you post the way like - you need hours to get edge to whittle hair and so usually do not spend more then half hour.

On a different note - if some peoplelike knifeknowitall spending time to perfect their knife, I respect that.

Thanks, Vassili.

Why so sharp?

Because I have paper wheels and it takes all of 2 minutes to get a stupid sharp edge:cool:.

I typically EDC 3 knives to work(don't really use them all), and admittedly even the lightest use will degrade the edge enough so that it doesn't push cut paper with that same glass-like smoothness, no matter what the steel is(Dozier D2, ZDP-189, CPM M4). But again, since it's so quick and easy to touch up all 3 before breakfast, I don't see why not.

Somber, thanks for the insult, that's so kind of you.

I like others can sharpen a knife in minutes using a number of techniques but when perfection is required I take my time like a artist would. Sometimes being able to create something so perfect brings great self satisfaction and if someone else's blade I know they are getting the chance to see what is possible.

I'm sorry to see you are offended by my continued offer of sharpening knowledge to this community.

Just like to keep it... I will enjoy this for a while. Where are you learn to talk like this?

Thanks, Vassili.
Vassili, I don't understand your reaction to knifenut's post because of the words you use.
His reaction was not pointed at you. I'm not sure if you interpret it like that...

also guys, we might want to leave it like this at the moment.
The discussion is getting sharper than our knives :p

Vassili, I don't understand your reaction to knifenut's post because of the words you use.
His reaction was not pointed at you. I'm not sure if you interpret it like that...

also guys, we might want to leave it like this at the moment.
The discussion is getting sharper than our knives :p

It is just such a pleasure to meet great teacher who share his deep knowledge in sharpening with community, who also fully understand his own greatness and share this understanding as well, this is a rare gift. Not everybody can do this. I should admit I may need to learn this as well as leather...

Thanks, Vassili.

Mods, can you please close this thread before it really gets out of hand.

Thank you.

Stitchawl

To the guys who share their sharpening knowledge with the rest of us mere mortals, you are greatly appreciated. Please don't mind the naysayers.

Please continue to share your knowledge that I(I know others do, as well) consider of great value. Knifenut, thanks to you, and your generous sharing of skill and knowledge, I can sharpen reasonably well on my DMT aligner. Nozh2002, the knowhow and the information you share so freely is greatly appreciated as well.

Back