Why Spyderco?

So I have 1 Spyderco. A Native 1 in Gin1 steel. Honestly kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Ive had it for years. It folds like a traditional. Slow and gritty. No flicking here. It holds an edge for about 36 seconds in the real world. Its partially serrated. Its everything I now dislike about knives.

That being said I have become a huge knife fan in the last few months and feel I may need to reconsider my disdain for Spyderco. But I love flippers and fidgety knives. And good ball bearings. And big pocket folders (my last purchase was a Kizer Sheepdog XL)So why Spyderco? Should I give them another shot? What model?

For sure!

Sliverax is large, flipper and spydiehole and ball bearings. The detent is on the soft side.

Shaman should also be for you.
Big knife with compression lock = fidgety.

Spyderco has tons of incredible knives and steels- more steel options than any other company, by a long shot. Steels that run circles around M4, m390, s35v, etc.

Basing your entire opinion of the company off that one knife is ridiculous.

That said- if fidgety ball bearing flipper knives are your thing, Spyderco probably isn’t for you.

Spyderco has tons of incredible knives and steels- more steel options than any other company, by a long shot. Steels that run circles around M4, m390, s35v, etc.

Basing your entire opinion of the company off that one knife is ridiculous.

That said- if fidgety ball bearing flipper knives are your thing, Spyderco probably isn’t for you.

Ridiculous or not when your only experience feels like a gas station knife and there are literally 1000s of better options out there, that 1 knife painting the company in a negative light (to me) makes more sense.

If you want a big, ball bearing flipper then Spyderco isn’t the best choice. If you want a knife that cuts stuff like a knife should, or on point ergonomics then give them a try. Materials to price is usually really good with them as well. I’ve had the chance to try awesome steels because of Spyderco.

I’d suggest you try out a PM2 or a Manix, both extremely flip well using phosphorus bronze washers, both cut like demons, and the Manix 2 is probably the most ergonomic folder I’ve owned so far. They’re both popular folders for reason. Find a store to handle them in person if you can, I can flip my Manix and PM2 as easily as any of my ball bearing flippers, and they’re nearly just as smooth.

On another note, back locks aren’t really designed to be flipped open, I don’t think any of mine do it well at all. You might have expected a bit too much out of that Native 1.

Spyderco offers great design
IMO it would be sad for you to disregard the brand for one bad experience

however if you are into flippers Spyderco may not be the best company for you

However the middle finger spydie flick is very fun
Combined with a compression lock it is very fun and fidgety
I like the PM2/PM3 platform
But you recently the Shaman has been prized by a lot of users

hA8294296

So I have 1 Spyderco. A Native 1 in Gin1 steel. Honestly kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Ive had it for years. It folds like a traditional. Slow and gritty. No flicking here. It holds an edge for about 36 seconds in the real world. Its partially serrated. Its everything I now dislike about knives.

That being said I have become a huge knife fan in the last few months and feel I may need to reconsider my disdain for Spyderco. But I love flippers and fidgety knives. And good ball bearings. And big pocket folders (my last purchase was a Kizer Sheepdog XL)So why Spyderco? Should I give them another shot? What model?

My Gen 1 Gin 1 Native works just fine. So, does my fluted CF S90V Native 5. And, I got over 130 other Spydercos (at last count) which are also all just fine.

FWIW, there's a certain technique that you need to learn to how to "flick" open Spyders only using the Spydie hole (and a Native isn't really designed for flipping or flicking) but Spyderco also makes some very nice "flipper" knives. My favorite Spyder flipper is the Advocate but are there many others. And, some models, especially those w/compression locks, can just be opened w/a wrist flick because of their weak detent (which some people hate but that I love).

So, yes, I think you should give the brand "another shot." LOL! ;)

Last edited:
For a flipper I probably wouldn't choose Spyderco although there are some good ones. The gen 2 Advocate (now discontinued and on closeout where available) flips well.
Spyderco beats the competition in design, high performance grinds, variety of modern steels and optimal heat treatments. And there's only one Sal Glesser.

Weird way to start a conversation.

Spyderco has 2 recent knives that are modern flippers. The Smock, and the Ikuchi. Lots of threads on the Smock here, fewer on the Ikuchi.

Not trolling. Just having a conversation.
Your username would suggest otherwise...

Just sayin.

FWIW I'll chime in...

Given your criteria you may be more satisfied by offerings by ZT.

Not that I've got anything against Spyderco; I love the 3 I own and I'm sure I'll purchase more in the future.

With the others on judging off one knives of the thousands offered since that was made. Back locks aren't flippers. I had one that did a lionsteel tm1 but it would cut you quick if you weren't careful. There have been plenty of options for you already said. Plenty of reviews and info here for you to read.

Spyderco's ball lock is nice although sometimes people complain that it's harder to disengage than an axis lock. So if you prioritize fidgeting, you might be disappointed. It's difficult to disengage the ball lock with just the thumb. Thumb and index finger is much easier. Personally, I prefer the ball lock to the axis lock because of a more robust coil spring.

A lot of people has recommended me the manix 2 and I think it deserves attention
I prefer the slimmer profile of the PM2 but that is just personal preferences

what is interesting with the manix is that the lightweight versions are under $100 for a very good design

I have 2 PM2, 1 PM3, 1 GB2, 1 native 5, 1 salt 2, 1 UKPK. Others have left the collection but my next purchase may be a spydiechef or a shaman...
Shaman should a better fidget toy than the spydie chef but still not sure about this one

the GB2 is a very good knife but I have used my stemmed to make the access to the lick easier to disengage

If your last taste of Spyderco was a Native One, you got four generations of knives to catch up on. I can't speak to their older models but I've been collecting knives for the better part of a decade and Spyderco are easily the highest consistent quality that I used.

Reactions: AF
Back