Why Spyderco?

Note to self... Spyderco guys are just like Glock guys.

Now that is trolling :)

Some of us in law enforcement carried Glocks and Spydercos because they just plain work.

What you rely upon for your own usage is your business and I won't judge you by your choices...but please don't come here to simply stir things up. You may find that the one caught in the ensuing maelstrom is yourself.

That said, there are plenty of valid critiques and criticisms hereabouts regarding the knives which Spyderco produces. If you have information to share, by all means do so.

I'm a Spyderco freak, and even I never liked the Native (or Glocks).

The Amalgam and original Southard are great flippers. If you don't need a flipper tab per se, any large non-backlock Spyderco will flick open smooth and quick.

Why Spyderco?...Sal and Eric Glesser. In every interview, through interactions here on the forums, and through the way they run their company it is abundantly apparent that they love making knives that they think we will love. Is every knife a home run? Are they all for everyone? Of course not. But along the way there have been some amazing knives, and this hobby would have a gaping hole in it without the contributions they have made. If that's not worth a couple hundred bucks (that you could mostly recoup were you not pleased) for a knife guy to give a great knife company another chance, then I don't know what to tell you. And this is not coming from a fanboy. In fact, I'm not a huge fan of some of the most popular models. I'm just an average enthusiast with an appreciation for the enjoyment this company has brought to the hobby for me.

As Spyderco fans I think we can do a better job at defending/supporting Spyderco with out questioning motives. JM2C. We all know Spydies rock, tell someone why.

Trolling aside, I'll throw my hat in this ring.

Spyderco offers a wider range of materials and design elements than any knife company I can think of. They do small knives, big knives, fidgety knives, slow/deliberate knives, budget-friendly knives, and higher-end knives. They collaborate with awesome designers, but consistently put out excellent designs of their own. They do G10, FRN, CF, Ti, steel, and wood scales. They do back locks, compression locks, ball bearing locks, frame locks, slip joints, fixed blades, and others. They do 8Cr13MoV and M390 and REX45 and damascus and Maxamet and everything else. They make knives that have great ergos and cut well. They take chances, making more standard knives in addition to taking risks. I would be shocked if you cannot find a Spyderco that suits you. And it's the only large knife company I know of where the guys in charge participate in the knife community so actively (see above). I know I sound like a fanboy, and I guess I am, but there is literally so much variety in Spyderco's lineup (and it is so consistently done well) that there is no other company like it.

And they cut like crazyyyyy.

Do yourself a favor and grab a PM2 / Para3 and learn to spydieflick if you want to try an excellent cutting tool that is fidgety too.

Last edited:
Why Spyderco for me ? (A) Great cutting geometries, (B) #steels & great/reliable heat-treat, (C) plenty of larger folders (4" blade and longer).

My first Spyderco flipper (Southard) was a disappointment, but Spydie flippers have improved. I now own Advocate (CQI), Smock and Amalgam and like them.

That being said, if you can get used to Spydie flicking and brass washers (even more "fidgety" compared to flippers and just as effective ;)), there are lots of great choices. Give them a chance again. My first Spydie was a Native 5, my second a Military, my 3rd a Police 4. If you like longer blades, try Military or P4, such great knives !

Roland.

Spyderco is the best and it's already too hard to score the versions of the models that I want. So I say move along to another company that makes you most happy. If you take a proper dip into Spyderco, Spyderco will certainly win you over.

Pm2, Para 3, Manix 2 are all amazing knives that you can flip and fidget with and which do the job a knife is supposed to do. Cut things.

If you want a bearing flipper, get an Amalgam.

Basing your view of spyderco off an OLD model is wrong. Try out a new one, see what you think.

Note to self... Spyderco guys are just like Glock guys.

Now that made me laugh right out loud! Thank you for the wit/laugh/humor.

No doubt you, like probably everyone else on this forum, know that most (if not every) groups have their fanboys/fangirls; and they are usually quick to "circle the wagons". It is the nature of it, and for sure not something to let get under your skin or bother you (in my opinion, that is). Thank you for stopping by, asking questions, and keeping it civil - and even having good wit / humor. I hope you find a Spyderco that works well for you, and you love. I'm betting there is at least one out there that will "fit the bill" for sure.

I like Spydercos and Glocks, lol.

And yes - those two groups have some similarities, lol.
Same with smith & wesson, colt, auto-loaders, revolvers, .45 cal, traditional folders, chevy, ford, tikka, winchester, marlin, benchmade, sak, kukris, canvas leather and wool, cuben and down, simple steels, high end alloyed steels, etc, etc...

u.w.

I don't get it. A Glock is like - say - a linerless, LW Native 5 with CPM Cruwear or M4. Not a fan. :)

The original G10 Police 4 is more like a SW929 or 92FS. That's what I'm talking about !

Last edited:
I've really liked my spyderco flippers. I've got a dice and a smock and both have a pretty good action to me... Most of my collection though is spydies though so maybe I'm biased.

What company would you guys recommend for a better flipping action?

Now that made me laugh right out loud! Thank you for the wit/laugh/humor.

No doubt you, like probably everyone else on this forum, know that most (if not every) groups have their fanboys/fangirls; and they are usually quick to "circle the wagons". It is the nature of it, and for sure not something to let get under your skin or bother you (in my opinion, that is). Thank you for stopping by, asking questions, and keeping it civil - and even having good wit / humor. I hope you find a Spyderco that works well for you, and you love. I'm betting there is at least one out there that will "fit the bill" for sure.

And yes - those two groups have some similarities, lol.
Same with smith & wesson, colt, auto-loaders, revolvers, .45 cal, traditional folders, chevy, ford, tikka, winchester, marlin, benchmade, sak, kukris, canvas leather and wool, cuben and down, simple steels, high end alloyed steels, etc, etc...

u.w.

Lol happy to be of service. My dirty secret is that I like Glocks too. They are a great platform for modding. Dont tell any of my gun friends though. They are all HK snobs.

Lol happy to be of service. My dirty secret is that I like Glocks too. They are a great platform for modding. Dont tell any of my gun friends though. They are all HK snobs.

I like guns of all types, just like I like knives of all types. However, I own more Glocks and Spydercos than any other brands of guns/knives, respectively.

So, I guess you can call me a Glock/Spyderco guy and I'm not ashamed to say so. Give me a G17 w/3 17round mags and any 4" Spyderco and I'm good to go.

LOL! ;)

I have one Spyderco, A Resilience. It is such a great knife that I can't wait to buy one of the more expensive ones. They are great knives. I also happen to be a 1911 fan!

Backlocks aren't really designed to be flicked opened. They have a strong bias to close and strong detent. But I can easily flick open my compression lock Spydies. The Native you have is also pinned construction, which can be difficult to adjust and service. The new Native 5 LW is screw construction and very smooth and rock solid as the backlock was literally developed and refined over many YEARS. You adjust the pivot screw to dial in the action. If you are worried about edge holding get the Maxamet version. Depending on your use, you may never need to sharpen it, or at the least it will last for probably hundreds to thousands more cuts than GIN1. Or get the new Native Salt that is tough, holds and edge well, and virtually rustproof.

So basically no, don't judge Spyderco on a knife that been refined and improved upon many times over for the past 20 years. You are right that your 20 year old Spyderco probably feels like a modern day $10 chinese knife at this point. But the $10 chinese knife is still going to have steel that dulls quickly. A Native Salt or Maxamet Native LW will rock your world!

Your knife probablly just needs a good cleaning and lube. It wasn't designed as a flipper. GIN1 has 0.8-0.9% carbon and enough chromium to be a good stainless polished steel. It's designed as a cutlery steel. You are either abusing the edge or do not know how to sharpen. Send it to me, I'd use it w/o complaint.

Back