Why Spyderco?

Update to this thread. Now that I own the two Manixs (Manixi?) I can easily flick the Native. Apparently I just needed to learn to flick a Spyderco properly... now with great shame I return to quietly shopping for more Spydercos.

Hey !
There's Sal !
Hi Sal; Happy Holidays
and I wanted to thank you for the Maxamet :thumbsup::thumbsup:
PS : and for keeping the CTS-XHP coming.

Enjoyed the thread Vendetta. Was nice to read through your journey and glad you found something you like.

I have never been a big fidget guy but love the spydie hole (easy to open no matter if hands wet/gloved/etc...) and a fan of many of their designs(def not all).

I will say that I wouldn’t compare glocks to spydies cause I have never seen a glock model and been like that’s a perdy gun lol. And it’s weird cause the functionality of the glock(lean towards AK or pistons vs gas impingement) should make me like it but never have held one in my hand and been like I want this.

Good read everyone. Happy holidays.

Happy to oblige. I do agree with the comparison you put up there. Its more utilitarian that beauty of form, and Ive never held a factory Glock that I liked. But my Gen 3 17 I removed the finger grooves on it and stippled it and it fits me like a glove now. And Spyderco modding is very similar to Glock modding as far as aftermarket parts availability goes.

Happy Holidays to you and yours as well.

Firearms are kinda like steel. "all good, just different". I shoot Glock a lot. (G43X). Depends on what works for you.

sal

Sal, I too shoot a Glock regularly, and love the 43x. That said, I was recently turned on to the Sig p365 and it also has 10 rounds but in a much smaller and more concealable package. I have huge hands and it works great for me. Glock 43, 43x and 26 sales are taking a hit because of the p365. Now Springfield has the Hellcat with a similar size footprint but with 11 rounds. Quality isn't nearly as nice as the Sig though, IMHO. It's strange loading the mag because you think it's not going to take any more round after 6 or 7 but it keeps going. Nice engineering. Probably not telling you anything you don't already know.

I carry a p365 everyday Candy. Its an absolute dream to shoot and carry and that 10 round mag is quite a feat in such a small package. Im no fan of Springfields polymer pistols so the Hellcat is not even a consideration. I will likely carry my p365 until I keel over. Its that good.

Glock 27 24/7

if you need 40 then that is, of course, an awesome option. Certainly fun to shoot and I do own one. That said, when looking at ballistics tests I’m not really convinced that it serves much benefit over 9mm if you’re running superb ammo like Hornady Critical Defense.

Happy to switch back to knives anytime. Sal brought it up. :)

Spyderco's flippers are not their strong point, IMHO. I love Spydercos, but most of their knives are not really designed to be flipped open. That trend is relatively recent in knives.

When you want a firearm that you know will not let you down while performing an arrest, serving a high risk warrant, or doing an entry or SWAT / SRT deployment it really doesn't matter how pretty the firearm. I've carried S&W, Colt, H&K, Steyr, Remington, Glock, and more on and off the job, (both handgun and long gun), starting more than 35 years ago.

For my money, a S&W J frame for walking around in my (current) somewhat rural environs...and a Glock anytime I step into a vehicle to head to town or further abroad. A shotgun and an AR on call. And of course a Spydie in my pocket. (The hardest part is figuring out which Spydie on any given day.)

This is an easy one …
Design, materials, manufacturing prowess, edge geometry and the Spyderco team. All combine to make the best factory blades on the market IMHO.
It's hard to go wrong with one of their blades from Japan or the USA. Their recent offerings from Taiwan like the Kapara match the quality of their Japanese and American made blades.

If you are digging Spydeco's bigger blades, I'd highly recommend the Chinook 4. I have one of each generation and the Chinook 4 is the best of the bunch.

I'm carrying my Amalgam today. Love it, big yet light. Very thin edge, wonderful slicer! Maybe not as smooth as my ZTs, and the detent is pretty soft, but the ergos and cutting ability make it my favorite spyderco, and one of my favorites period.

I'm carrying my Amalgam today. Love it, big yet light. Very thin edge, wonderful slicer! Maybe not as smooth as my ZTs, and the detent is pretty soft, but the ergos and cutting ability make it my favorite spyderco, and one of my favorites period.

The Amalgam is on my shortlist. I am ordering a Smock on Friday... then the next one is either an Amalgam, a PM2, or a Shaman. Or Maybe a Kapara. I dont know. I just know theres a next one. ;)

Back