Why Spyderco?

The Amalgam is on my shortlist. I am ordering a Smock on Friday... then the next one is either an Amalgam, a PM2, or a Shaman. Or Maybe a Kapara. I dont know. I just know theres a next one. ;)

Im not much for the smock, but I do want to try a shaman and kapara. I have 2 Pm2s so I think I'm set there! Lol! I am thinking about a Manix 2 xl though. I'm on a big folder kick lately, why not right? :D

I had two biases against Spyderco. First had to deal with aesthetics. The blade shape and open assist thumb cult had me seeing a frog's head. The circular cut being the eye. Just thought it looked goofy. Second, the prices seemed to be very high for what you yet. There are so many mid priced knives being made these days that are quite good, higher per dollar value.

But that began to change as I'd started to notice models with a more "conventional" blade contours. I also realized that hey, if a retail price is too high, why not buy a used example? Then, finally one day I spotted a particular model that caught my eye. I decided I'd give it a try. Well, color me impressed. The finish and materials is top notch. The action is excellent. The ergonomics are terrific. If you can afford it, buying new is also worth it.

Hi Myu,

Thanx for giving us a try. Many of our collaboration designs are more conventional than our in-house designs which are usually Eric, Mike's (Janich) or mine.

sal

Got my Smock today............ ehrmagerd am I tickled pink. This thing is absolutely fidgety goodness. Slicey and smooth as butter. Micarta scales and a lynch clip and I am in heaven. Spyderco hit this collab straight out of the park. Also my first Taichung. Thinking my next one may have to come from there too. Or the USA. Hell I dont really care as long as its a Spydie. I think Im a full fledged fanboy.

I bought an Amalgam... ball bearing big flipper compression lock. Whats not to love? Its on its way. Right now Im thinking of also picking up a Spydiechef after the first of the year. I would like a Slysz design in my collection and Im a fan of ti framelocks.

Another amalgam owner! I think you'll love it. Mines my favorite spydie. Detent is a little soft, but it's perfect other than that imo. I hate to see people grind off the flipper... Its just so much fun to fling that big blade out! Great cutter as well, pretty thin behind the edge but also a decently strong tip. I was kind of meh about the choil at first, I rather would have had more cutting edge, but it has grown on me.

Still considering getting some blue ti hardware for it... Would like green but it's hard to find!

Back