Why the hate for serrations?

I don't hate them. In fact I like them for opening hay bales, cutting ropes and other fibrous materials. They are far better than any regular blade grind on these tasks IMO. But only my abused users got such pointy teeth.

I don't hate them. In fact I like them for opening hay bales, cutting ropes and other fibrous materials. They are far better than any regular blade grind on these tasks IMO. But only my abused users got such pointy teeth.
If I did that routinely, I would have a fully serrated edge knife with me like an Endura.

I dont HATE them, but I'm not a huge fan. The knives I have with them I ignore when I sharpen. I just sharpen them flat and dont worry about the scalloped parts in between. A heavily loaded strop with a good softness to it works well enough.

My big issue is that combo edges make a knife a jack of all trades and kinda ruins the blade for me. I also never understood putting them on "fighting" knives. I have a Kabar Fighter with a nice wide, thin blade. Near sharpened false edge. 8" blade that balances well in hand. Stripped all the paint off of it to make it look extra rugged...goofy serrated edge for the first three inches from the guard:rolleyes:
So I have a "fighting" knife with serrations where I probably wouldn't strike with should I ever need to swing it. I also have a knife that would suck for a camp knife because I would have to use the center of an 8" blade for fine work.

Love that knife, but it is in spite of the stupid serrations. Stripped of the paint with a plain edge and classic stacked leather handle, and I think you would have a modern classic Kabar, tbh.

They have a place. I've always wanted one of these just cause they look bad a$$.
inUEoM1.jpg

Victorinox does a good job of doing a partially serrated blade putting them up front near the tip.
Q2DGjiy.jpg

....Love that knife, but it is in spite of the stupid serrations. Stripped of the paint with a plain edge and classic stacked leather handle, and I think you would have a modern classic Kabar, tbh.
It's simple for me. I just wouldn't buy it. I might have bought such a Kabar 15-20 years ago, but that was then, and now partial serrations mean no-buy. Don't care for painted blades either, but I could strip that and live with it.

The knife is really a classic. I don't own one simply because it does nothing particularly well in my world.

When I first started buying folders I was weirdly attracted to partially serrated blades. If I look at my “collection,” all of the earliest purchases (20+ years ago) were partially serrated blades. I’d rather be beaten with a stick than buy one now. Go figure.

I have a fully serrated blade on my Leatherman Surge. So far, I've never used it. I either use the plain-edge blade or I use my dedicated knife, also a plain-edge blade. For my usage, serrations aren't worth the added hassle and difficulty with re-sharpening. That said, I do understand they have their uses, hence I still carry one, i.e. the one on my Leatherman.
I do too .. Works great for cutting steak on a glass plate so you don't dull the entire edge. I used it last week at a restaurant who's knives were dull lol

A saw wouldn't do well with no serrations.
OTOH, on a knife, they are "usually" not necessary and look like he--.

Last edited:
Well I picked up up a BM 940 off the exchange a couple years back, I didn't notice that it was partially serrated before I bought it. When I received it I just carried it for a couple days then stowed it in one of my knife bags. I started carrying it again recently as I find myself drawn to slimmer edc's. It has trimmed a fingernail that had a splinter stuck in it I've cut some twine with the serrations part. It has been rather handy. Although I have just ordered a 940-2, and am probably going to pass it on to someone else soon.

With the exception of the bread knife in my set of cook's knives, and a cheap set of steak knives, I do not own a serrated blade for numerous reasons.

1. Aesthetics, never liked the look of the things. So many are just pandering to the mall ninja crowd in the typical over-the-top fashion that appeals to the mall ninja in an "acquired bad taste" sort of way.
2. If you have ever cut yourself with one, you'll know. And it takes forever to heal afterwards. There is a reason surgeon's scalpels are not serrated.
3. Difficult if not impossible to resharpen.
4. I'm a knife lover. Technically, a cutting blade with teeth is a SAW not a knife. :confused:.

I have knives with both, and I carry and use both. Most times I'll have a straight edge on me, but if I'm working in my garage, or out on a motorbike riding trails, shooting, etc, I'll always have a partially serrated blade on me. They just work so well for cutting rope, paracord, rubber, nylon, fuel and oil lines, zip ties, etc...

Serrations are a tool like anything else, and they have their time and place.

Serrations have their place. So I do not hate them. What I hate is partially serrated blades. Not enough of one or the other to be useful.

I prefer no serrations because they get in the way, however, I do recognize they have uses and that its not a bad idea to supplement those serrations somewher eelse, perhaps in a multi-tool for the you never know when you might need them category.

I have a friend that loves his Benchmade with a combo edge. He thinks it's great.

I can't stand combo edges. It is not the best of both worlds; it's just the opposite. You end up with both straight and serrated edges but,normally not enough serrations or plan edge to make the cutting job easier. If I have a combo edged 3 1/2 inch blade, effectively, I have a 2 inch straight edge unless I choose to use serrations. Full serrations are cool. Plain edges are obviously good. Just don't give me combo blades.

I don’t hate serrations, but I DO hate partially serrated blades. It makes both sections too short to be useful for their purposes and as a bonus, makes the knife look like crap IMO.

I have a few serrated knives, but they are fully serrated.

I like serrations. I hate sharpening them. If serrated, it should be thinner stock IMO. Additionally, I want the inner curve of the scallop sharpened, not just the points.

Back