Why the ti liner-lock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lock interface geometry is a huge factor in both lock security and lockbar lifespan, be it steel or Ti. This was likely a problem with a lot of the HD-7 models (not the XHD ones) because they had extremely fast lockbar wear. I'm going to guess that it was a geometry problem as they would go from about 20% lockup out of the box to touching the opposite scale within a week of mild use. If you see any sales threads with an HD-7 you will almost always see 100% or greater lockup.

Another thing to bring up with Ti lockbars is the fact that the lockface can be carbidized for heightened wear resistance. This does not make the Ti as resistant to wear as a steel lock, but it greatly increases the hardness and thus extends lockbar life much longer than an uncarbidized lockface. This gives you the light weight and corrosion resistance of the Ti without sacrificing too much in the way of lockup. In more "manual" opening folders (non-flippers, non waved, just opened with a thumbstud or similar) this can negate the need for a steel lockbar insert and thus save some money on both machining and materials. As far as I know Emerson does not carbidize their locks but I could be wrong about that. That said I've owned many Emersons made between 1998-present and I've never had a lockbar wear out or have issues, with the exception of the HD-7 I had. I use my knives, sometimes pretty hard, and they hold up very well over time.

My first Emerson was a 2012 Horseman. Being my first waved folder, I was pretty hard on it (messing with the wave and all.) It quickly developed a lock issue where I could close the knife with light thumb pressure on the ramp. Kinda scary. I took it apart and discovered a small spot on the lock-bar that had worn away, which matched the rather sharp corner on the blade tang. Clearly, there was something out of alignment when the knife was first put together. Might have had the same problem if the locking liner was hardened steel instead of ti, but I doubt it would have occurred as quickly.

There ain't a lot of meat on the ti lock face to really want to mess with it myself. If anyone else had this issue, I would have recommended they send the knife back to the mothership for warranty repair. Probably would have been the right/best thing to do...

But since my Horseman was already on the operating table, I didn't think I had much to lose . Keeping the body and pivot screws loose, I used a little hand pressure in reassembly and was able to slightly move the tang/liner contact point past the damaged area. Locks up tight now, full engagement and the lock-bar is around 50% I don't have 100% trust in any lock on any folder, but I'm particularly careful with my Horseman now.

I seem to be excelling at the long winded point-making in this thread... :D

My Horseman was the only EKI knife I have ever disassembled, but I did not see a carbidized lock face nor any signs of a differential heat treat. I think it's just standard low HRC titanium.

One of the worst titanium lock folders I've owned in terms of lock-rock, is my DPx HEST/F 2.0. OEM LionSteel was plagued by lock issues from the get-go on that one. I still like mine, though. Interesting that DPx chose to go with a steel insert on their US-made Urban model.

Lock interface geometry is a huge factor in both lock security and lockbar lifespan, be it steel or Ti. This was likely a problem with a lot of the HD-7 models (not the XHD ones) because they had extremely fast lockbar wear. I'm going to guess that it was a geometry problem as they would go from about 20% lockup out of the box to touching the opposite scale within a week of mild use. If you see any sales threads with an HD-7 you will almost always see 100% or greater lockup (…)

Good info on the XD series. Thanks! :thumbsup: I think I'd just pass on one now...

Hm... Interesting info.
Two HD-7 (first release 2004 and second- 2014)
Slightly used
DSC_a2953.jpg DSC_a2954.jpg

Good pics, Turbo :thumbsup:

Do you typically wave your XD's or thumb 'em? Just curious what kind of shock loads those have sustained... lock-up looks pretty good to my eyes.

Good pics, Turbo :thumbsup:

Do you typically wave your XD's or thumb 'em? Just curious what kind of shock loads those have sustained... lock-up looks pretty good to my eyes.
It's collection knives, but I'm not a second owner. Knives have a traces of use )))
For picture I opened it by thumb.

^^^ Thank you, sir. What's your favourite model/year of Emerson to carry?

I've noticed a big difference in fit and finish since EKI went to stand-off construction. My current favourite is a 2013 Journeyman. Recently picked it up BNIB old stock and it is pretty much flawless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back