Why Toolless Disassembly Should Be The Future of Knife Design

I consider it totally unnecessary.

I EDCd (as in all day, every day, used for everything) an Endura for well over 10 years, and never once felt the need to disassemble it. I've also not disassembled any of my newer knives that have taken the Endura's spot in my pocket.

The type of knife might be a factor. I like flipper tabs and slick actions on ball-bearings. In theory, that could be more prone to issues from dirt, grit, etc. In reality, I've never had a serious issue.

Of course, my knives don't get very dirty. I'm usually in office-type environments. With the exception of opening a bag of something edible, I don't use my EDC knives for food prep. The toughest things they cut are usually cardboard and zip ties. I clean and strop the blades as needed. When I'm camping, hiking, doing a rougher project, etc.; I just carry a fixed blade.

Pocket lint is the main infiltrator for my folders, along with a little bit of dust from paper products or cardboard. I've never had it jam up the action and most of the accumulation seems to be down around the spacers and lock bar anyway. Every once in a while, I catch a little wisp of fabric or something in the action but that's easily removed. I've gotten a rust spot or two over the years but often in something that's been sitting in the bottom of a drawer or left in a humid place. In many cases, the internals of a budget folder are dirtiest for me when it is new out of the box.

The type of knife might be a factor. I like flipper tabs and slick actions on ball-bearings. In theory, that could be more prone to issues from dirt, grit, etc. In reality, I've never had a serious issue.

Of course, my knives don't get very dirty. I'm usually in office-type environments. With the exception of opening a bag of something edible, I don't use my EDC knives for food prep. The toughest things they cut are usually cardboard and zip ties. I clean and strop the blades as needed. When I'm camping, hiking, doing a rougher project, etc.; I just carry a fixed blade.

Pocket lint is the main infiltrator for my folders, along with a little bit of dust from paper products or cardboard. I've never had it jam up the action and most of the accumulation seems to be down around the spacers and lock bar anyway. Every once in a while, I catch a little wisp of fabric or something in the action but that's easily removed. I've gotten a rust spot or two over the years but often in something that's been sitting in the bottom of a drawer or left in a humid place. In many cases, the internals of a budget folder are dirtiest for me when it is new out of the box.

The type of knife might be a factor? Yes, that is true. But moreover would be the use of whatever knife. So, as long as you don't carry finicky or garbage knives in an environment prone to issues, then you're good to go right? I mean, you said you carry fixed blades when you think it's needed. So why are tool free take downs intriguing?

I uh, have never concerned myself with paper dust.

It has been my experience, and this is just me, that one should try many different things in many different situations to form lasting impressions and make subsequent recommendations.

Dust from paper products? Like many here, I've had folders and multi-tools that have seen fish scales, guts, feathers, fur, water, sand, mud, dried grass, bark, canvas, linen, comm wire, and bunch of stuff I've forgotten. I choose knives based on performance.

Never have I taken a knife apart and I didn't even know that was thing until the internet.

I absolutely understand that designs have changed and again, I have zero issue with folks wanting to take their knives apart. But tool less design as the future? Nah. Just choose the right tools for the job.

Also, let me be clear. I have knives I love that I would never press into that kind of service. I'm all in favor of that. But such knives don't need to be taken apart, let alone without tools.

I see no issue on having a few options on the market for folders that have the ability to be taken apart without tools. It could be neat seeing what makers come up with.

However I don’t particularly think it’s advantageous over existing designs that require tools.

I take apart a few of my folders sometimes to clean and polish out rust spots from liners. Not a big deal, really.

The type of knife might be a factor? Yes, that is true. But moreover would be the use of whatever knife. So, as long as you don't carry finicky or garbage knives in an environment prone to issues, then you're good to go right? I mean, you said you carry fixed blades when you think it's needed. So why are tool free take downs intriguing? ...

They aren't. I think we're in agreement there.

Like I said, the dirtiest I see most knife internals is when they are new out of the box. I mentioned taking apart new knives for inspection, cleaning, and quality lubrication. I like getting to know a knife, a company's level of QC, etc. I like starting with clean gear in my pockets. I also like to tinker and can improve the function on some knives. Some of that might be a feature of me using budget knives. I enjoy hunting for "budget gems" that perform well and have a low replacement cost. I also like giving knives out as gifts and they all go through the same process when I get them.

The last two knives I had apart were a Bestech Texel and a Kizer Gemini. The Texel is a nice little knife with a great action but right out the box, the internals were gross. They were covered in a smelly yellowish gunk and there was a gummy residue in spots. So I got it all cleaned up, lubed with quality non-toxic oil, back together and tuned perfectly. The Gemini shipped with very clean internals, very few extraneous tool marks, etc. Fit and finish were pretty good but there was a minor issue. The Gemini uses nested liners. The Micarta scales were very comfortable except where they left the inner scale edges rough. Having the knife apart gave me a chance to take off that rough edge and give them a nice smooth transition.

I like to be able to take apart knives that have metal liners because eventually corrosion can occur in areas that can’t be reached without disassembly.

I also like to be able to replace washers if I want to. I’d be interested in seeing tool-less folding knives, mostly because I’d appreciate the engineering involved.

Back