Why tweco 14t

Is there any reason we specifically use a Tweco 14t mig tip for our burners ?
Im a welder and I use all sorts of mig tips that are identical as far as I can tell. Just not Tweco which also happens to be the most difficult mig tip to find. Does it matter what brand I use ? .035 orrifice should be the same from brand to brand.

I thought tweco MIG guns were the most popular MIG gun ?

http://usaknifemaker.com/forging-to...es-tools-c-172-173/tweco-14t-mig-tip-035.html
Instock here

Plus
Fastenal
Airgas
Home Depot
tractor supply store
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/hobart-035-contact-tip-tweco-century-lincoln-binzel-pack-of-5
Hobart .035 Contact Tip works with Tweco, Lincoln Electric Magnum, Miller Gold Seal, Craftsman, Campbell-Hausfield, Binzel. Also for Century and other brands with Tweco or Binzel-type guns.

Damn near every welding supplier and hardware store in north america has those

If you're following a set of plans, then do the mounting threads change on the other tips ?

Last edited:
Ive thought about that. Im in a somewhat remote part of northern canada. I can find Tweco here but nobody seems to carry that size. That have a lot more of all the other name brands. Could just be the area im in wouldnt surprise me. If any .035 mig tip will work I can just use some of my own and good to go. Just wonder if theres a reason ive only seen Tweco mentioned for burners.

You should be able to use any contact tip that is about the right length and screws in and is the right diameter orifice for your electrode wire; you could even make one yourself in a pinch! :D

EDIT: Oh haha I thought you were talking about a mig welding gun.

Last edited:
I think it's mainly availability. There are not that many folk out there developing burners. Those that are are presumably somewhere in the US, and Tweco are the biggest name there. If that's what they've used, they'll feel the need to put a caveat into any write-up to the effect that the proven design uses a Tweco 14t of a particular size and anyone deviating from the proven design is on their own. It really doesn't take much change to royally louse up a burner.

For what it's worth, I think the QC on the hole size, the tapered lead-in to the hole itself and the external taper are the most important things.

If you fit a choke, you can effectively deal with any variations on hole size by going down a tip size and choking the air appropriately.

Any variation in the lead-in profile will just change the discharge coefficient of the jet: You'll need a slightly higher or lower pressure for any given gas flow, but you'd only ever know if you had 2 burners side-by-side.

The external taper is probably THE most important thing. It looks to me like it will allow the air to mix more smoothly with the gas, where a squarer tip would cause much more turbulence.

I have used no-name MIG tips in burners without problems, but I was not working to somebody else's design. Over here, the DIY mini-migs have M5 threaded tips and 1/8" pipe thread to M5 reducing bushes are a standard pneumatic fitting, which makes things easy.

MIG tips come in a variety of shapes and mounting sockets/threads.....tweco 14t is cheap, always available, and the right shape.

It is just a readily available fitting with a specific size hole. Most venturi burner projects call for a .035" hole. Some plans have you drill it in a pipe fitting cap....but a 1/8" tapped hole or an 1/8" fitting will fit a MIG tip and ...viola...you have a perfect orifice. The perfect size and shape of the tweco 14t MIG tips makes them form a very good gas jet for the venturi. Using MIG tips also allow larger and smaller orifices to be easily tried when building a burner.

Perfect thanks :D I have a hand full of .035 threaded. Short taper. Not the real long taper but tapered none the less might work well cant hurt to try. Best of all free hehe.

Tweco 14t mig tips are tapered to the tip. For me it helps the burner vortex making a hotter flame. The non tapered tips wouldn't get my forge to welding temps. YMMV

I noticed some mig tips have a different thread than other. The tweco worked for me and so have other brands but the other brands were definitely a different thread. I been lucky in my career and haven’t had to buy things I needed for forges or burners. Most the time a cup of coffee and some donuts to the storeroom guys got me anything I needed. If not a knife did the trick.

This is a six year old thread folks. Info is still pertinent, but I think it is also common knowledge to most folks.

Welcome Jason - look at the date of a thread you pull up before posting on it.

Back