Why we choose CRK

When the "lock rock" thread came out I was carrying a regular made in 08. I did the table top test, found some movement (up and down) and immediately dismissed it. The side to side play is disturbing, I have seen people check for blade play like they were trying to bend rebar.
I own and carry one because I like the build quality. To those that have received one that wasn't right or you weren't pleased with it, that sucks.PhotoPictureResizer_20210306_004901.jpg PhotoPictureResizer_20210306_010829.jpgtied off to a tree enjoying some hot coffee. Got 5 more days of this silly shit and ill be at the house. Good day

Last edited:
I like the designs, the tolerances and ergo's, and the OLD pricing. The new pricing I'm seeing has put a stop to buying anymore new ones direct from CRK or it's dealers. A Mnandi, even with damascus, should not be selling for $600+ That's insane To Me.

CRK's being "outdated" is an interesting comment... right along with love my 1911's ( 110 year old design) , but wouldn't carry one!!?? What's the deal guys? I EDC a Wilson 1911 and an outdated CRK. Like your 60 year old Flying V Ron????They all work great after all this time.. timeless designs because they work!New latest and greatest come out everyday!Some last, most don't.Hail King Albert!!!

What's the deal guys? I EDC a Wilson 1911 and an outdated CRK.

You carry the 1911 and the CRK (instead of a Glock and a Spydie) in order to feel good, and no one can argue with what makes a person feel good. That is sacred territory. Its when one strays from the subjective ("I like it best") into the objective ("it is best") that the facts come crashing down on them. People tend to conflate those two realms, and that's the squabbling begins.

Agree 100% I also like Glocks, wheel guns, Randall Knives, I won't travel with my Wilson. Thats what the Glock #19 is for! 5 mags and hit the road... any gun or knife when you have it and need it beats the best at home in a drawer!

I am left handed and that is why I bought my first Chris Reeve knife in the late 90's . Quality control issues are not new to Chris Reeve Knives. I have owned many and have had issues with several knives . Never returned a knife for a Spa treatment but have returned a few to get issues fixed. Some got fixed weak detent on two was never fixed. Having one open in you pocket is a surprise you can live without.

I think the 1911 analogy is a bad comparison. The differences between a 1911 and a Glock are far greater than the differences between a Sebenza and a Para 3. CRKs are still every bit as functional as and possibly even more reliable than the latest and greatest super knives and have an extremely simple, low-maintenance design that you just don't get with newer knives that have bearings, proprietary pivots, red loc-tite, liners, and tiny springs. The same certainly can't be said about a 1911.

The threads concerning lock flex, lock rock, vertical play etc. have got me thinking. Why do I pay a premium for a CRK? Is it the fastest flicker around? Nope. Can I hammer it through a car door? Nope. Can I hang a tank from the blade without the lock failing? Nope. Do I get the latest fad in steels? Nope. What do I get? I get decent materials, excellent design, the legendary tolerances, and great customer care. However, I am a bit concerned about the number of people sending their knives in that have been told the knife is within spec. I fear that the legendary CRK customer care may be a thing of the past. I hope this is not the case though.

The "legendary" customer service ended when Chris was removed and CRK decided to change their warranty policies.

I'm curious as to what these knives were selling for back in the day(90s). Also I want to know the desirable years before Chris retired.

Hopefully my 2019 dated sebbie21 is in the time when Chris was still there and personally still inspecting outgoing knives. Feels.more.premium to me somehow

I like the designs, the tolerances and ergo's, and the OLD pricing. The new pricing I'm seeing has put a stop to buying anymore new ones direct from CRK or it's dealers. A Mnandi, even with damascus, should not be selling for $600+ That's insane To Me.

I bought my CRKs on the secondary market. I just can’t bring myself to pay the premium for a new CRK.
To each his own but that is my position.

The threads concerning lock flex, lock rock, vertical play etc. have got me thinking. Why do I pay a premium for a CRK? Is it the fastest flicker around? Nope. Can I hammer it through a car door? Nope. Can I hang a tank from the blade without the lock failing? Nope. Do I get the latest fad in steels? Nope. What do I get? I get decent materials, excellent design, the legendary tolerances, and great customer care. However, I am a bit concerned about the number of people sending their knives in that have been told the knife is within spec. I fear that the legendary CRK customer care may be a thing of the past. I hope this is not the case though.

Is this reference to the lock rock 31’s...? Or old services that are now discontinued like refinishing the surface of graphics...?

Anytime a model is discontinued ( one of the latest being the 21 ), services change. Can’t expect them to stock parts forever, but should have enough on hand to cover legitimate warranty work, or like you see in many other avenues replace with current model.

As for CRK warranty, they have always been picky with what is covered and that has never bothered me. I am not a modder or tweaker. Many like to mod knives and they have always been strict with that policy.

Botched sharpening jobs by the owner are not CRK’s fault.

Back when scothcbrite sebenzas was the latest fad, there were many that people thinned the scales down too much and that voided warranty. Can you blame CRK...? Nope.

Also back to another fad with the wrist flicking, it would deform the stop pin and cause lockup issues. Was that CRK’s fault...? Again, Nope.

The couple issues I have had over the years were with stock CRK that failed and they fixed them without issue. I have owned hundreds of CRK and can only think of 5 that I had to send in, and 2 of those were minor.

there is something wonderful about carrying a 1911 with a CRK

I humbly refer to it as “getting dressed”

I suggest you try it

Me too, but I frequently get called a dinosaur for not carrying a plastic gun.:)

I have "a few" knives, but my CRKs are the ones that I usually end up carrying. The 25 Starbenza is the only one that ever went back to the mother ship. After using it a few years I noticed a hairline crack in the blade, where the thumb stud was pressed in. They said send it in, and a few days later they emailed me to ask if I wanted the spa treatment done while it was there. I quickly replied, "NOOOOOOO! I want those slabs back as snail trailed as when I sent them in."
Here's the 25 when it was new, along with my 2002 build Wilson.
IMG_0236-X4.jpg

Back