Why would you put a chisel grind on a knife that is hollow ground on both sides?

Why would you put a chisel grind on a knife that is hollow ground on both sides?

I'm sitting here looking at my CRT&K M16 FD14 and for the life of me I can't figure out why you would put a chisel grind final bevel on a hollow ground tanto style blade?:confused:

I'm thinking of sharpening the opposite side, anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't?

It's because of the serrations. The non-serrated models are bevelled on both sides. My guess is that it would require a more complex setup to sharpen the serrations on both sides since one would have to match the rise and fall of the teeth and grooves.

It's annoying to have the blade veer off to the right, isn't it? I sharpened my M16-13 on both sides, but it still goes a little to the right because I haven't evened up both bevels. It would take forever.

Ok, than why is my SOG X42 Autoclip the same way and it has no serrations,(he asked in a challenging yet somewhat friendly manner)?:confused: :D

Hm, that's really puzzling then. Do you mean the cross-section looks like this?

attachment.php

Attachments

• bevel.gif
    bevel.gif
    652 bytes · Views: 258
i think my M16-13T combo is ground the same, FWIW, suprised me when i saw it, unusual imho

greg

The Emerson Commander is done in a similar fashion. I've had request to put the same style edge on several of my customs. Some people find this style of edge easier to field sharpen. My feeling is that it will work well provided you are good with and have a descent strop. A minute or so with a diamond hone on the bevel side then a few passes on the non-bevel side with the strop will easily produce a very sharp edge. Just a note, all of the knives I made with this style edge were fighters, intended to cut skin/fabric. Edge geometry, cutting efficiency, blah blah blah......is for another thread ;) :D

I have a CRKT M-16fd.Mine is not chisel ground:confused: .Even the inch or so of serrations are ground on each side,I thought that was weird as I've never seen serrations that were ground on the back side.

Now I got mine right from one of the companies owners,did I get a fluke or test piece??

My wife and I both had the 1* M-16 12 and 14 (big 'un an' lil' un') They both had the funky chisel grind thing with the serrations. To make a long story short, my wife gave hers to a friend that was in desperate need of a decent knife...

Went to replace it at the local B&M shop, found a military M-16 12 that had the serrations...and was ground on both sides...

wierd, eh?

Might buy her the Military one as a replacement though, not the pretty black that she liked, but there's somethin' to be said for the lack of chisel grind on this one nonetheless.

There are people who ABSOLUTELY LOVE the chisel grinds. The chisel-edge is a small concession because I reckon not all the companies are tooled up for real chisel grinds yet. In the real world, its likely that the chiseled edge won't make a great difference with heavy / forceful cutting. You'll definitely notice it in fine cuts though, esp with slicing through semi-solid material - it does veer off to one side. With serrations, I think the reason is EASE, nothing else. The serrations are usually ground in from one side only, with a "zero-edge", ie.- the serrations are already part of the edge bevels rather than part of the main grind bevels.

Many of the folks I originally made chisel ground wrapped handled styles for last year have fed back that they way they sharpen is to sharpen the bevelled side, and strop or steel the flat side to get a very keen edge. They say that it takes half the time. Again, when you consider that doing both sides (done regularly, just a touch up) only takes 2 minutes, it doesn't seem like an enormous time savings to do just one side. However, when you try to sharpen serrations, the amount of time increases dramatically, so maybe thats where the ease of sharpening comes in.

Hope that makes sense. Jason.

Back