Wicked Edge and Mnandi Question

Jhileman79

Gold Member
Has anyone had experience sharpening a Mnandi on the Wicked Edge. My Mnandi has a ladder Damascus and I love the way it looks but I love the mirror polish more.

Here are some questions that I need answered:
What grit to start with?
Where to set the knife in the clamp?
Best angle to sharpen?

Thanks for the help!
Jared

there are some good youtube videos on the subject.... i would practice with some less expensive knives if you are not familiar with the WE... a black sharpie can help you determine the best angle.... 400 grit perhaps

there are some good youtube videos on the subject.... i would practice with some less expensive knives if you are not familiar with the WE... a black sharpie can help you determine the best angle.... 400 grit perhaps

Thanks! I am good on my AFCK and Sebenzas but wanted a little guidance with the Mnandi. I haven't sharpened a smaller blade yet and was concerned about blade position

Please buy a user before you put a stone to the Mnandi! :eek:

Last edited:
AMEN!!!

Even if you were extremely proficient or professional using a WE, the moment you use it on a CRK, kiss the value goodbye!

My knives are still valuable to me and that is all that matters:) I have never sold a knife.

AMEN!!!

Even if you were extremely proficient or professional using a WE, the moment you use it on a CRK, kiss the value goodbye!

Random question. Why does the value go down if it has a better edge on it. Do collectors just want an untouched knife?

Yes, collectors want it as close to original as possible.They don't even want natural patinas removed.

Yes, collectors want it as close to original as possible.They don't even want natural patinas removed.

Thanks for the info!
I am just staring with the Knife collection. 1 AFCK /250, 3 Large Sebenzas ( 1 Mammoth Bark Annual, 1 CF Inlay, 1 with Raindrop Damascus) and 1 Mnandi. I carry all of them, even the Annual in its leather pouch. To me collecting is getting the most out of them.

My knives are still valuable to me and that is all that matters:) I have never sold a knife.

If that's truly the case, way, way more power to you. I envy that position. If you ever plan on selling it, just keep in mind that the value will take a hit. Without a doubt, it's your knife, make it what's most enjoyable for you.

If that's truly the case, way, way more power to you. I envy that position. If you ever plan on selling it, just keep in mind that the value will take a hit. Without a doubt, it's your knife, make it what's most enjoyable for you.

Thanks! I will probably leave the Mnandi the way it is. It is nice and sharp from the factory and I won't use it on heavy jobs... that is for my AFCK or CF Sebenza:)

Has anyone had experience sharpening a Mnandi on the Wicked Edge. My Mnandi has a ladder Damascus and I love the way it looks but I love the mirror polish more.

I'm curious about the above part of your question. Why can't are ladder Damascus and mirror polish mutually exclusive? Do you mean just the bevel?

I'm curious about the above part of your question. Why can't are ladder Damascus and mirror polish mutually exclusive? Do you mean just the bevel?

I meant I love the way it looks with he factory edge. But I also sharpen all my knives to a mirror finish. Here is my Damascus Sebenza with the mirror edge:
e1ef28f67a1f6f6a2c05ff88f9f1a30c.jpg

What if you just sent it back to CRK for a free sharpen before you sell it? Then you're back to square one.

But a lot of metal was removed to get it to that point... Its not original anymore. I know, that kind of sucks, but that's how it is. It's kind of like selling a CRK without papers (birth card).

geeze... i just read some of the outlandish comments... you might as well sharpen it on a concrete block....

if it is strickly for resale put it in a climate controlled safe and never use it...

I sharpen my personal carry seb 21 using the WE at 17 degrees then micro bevel at 20 degrees

geeze... i just read some of the outlandish comments... you might as well sharpen it on a concrete block....

if it is strickly for resale put it in a climate controlled safe and never use it...

I sharpen my personal carry seb 21 using the WE at 17 degrees then micro bevel at 20 degrees

Haha... My pocket is my safe:)
that is the same angle I sharpen my Sebenzas at. What stone do you use?
I have 50-100 Diamond, 1200/1600 ceramics, 2/3000 water and 2 different strips and diamond paste and sprays

Outlandish? Nice. If anyone cares about resale, the comments are valid. If anyone wants to sharpen their knife and make it their own, the comments are valid. Fact is that reprofiling an expensive CRK hurts the value. Sorry, but that's how it is. It's good to talk about at the very least.

BTW, OP is a real cool guy.

Outlandish? Nice. If anyone cares about resale, the comments are valid. If anyone wants to sharpen their knife and make it their own, the comments are valid. Fact is that reprofiling an expensive CRK hurts the value. Sorry, but that's how it is. It's good to talk about at the very least.

BTW, OP is a real cool guy.

If i recall correctly CRK recommends 18 to 20 degrees... obviously a hack can destroy a blade if he does not know what he or she is doing... if all your crk knives are safe queens then keep em there and never use them

Back