Wicked Edge and Mnandi Question

geeze... i just read some of the outlandish comments... you might as well sharpen it on a concrete block....

if it is strickly for resale put it in a climate controlled safe and never use it...

I sharpen my personal carry seb 21 using the WE at 17 degrees then micro bevel at 20 degrees

While you are welcome to your opinion, others here are welcome to theirs.. Many of whom buy a great number of knives from authorized dealers for their collections.. Myself included and I do have a few that I likely won't use.

As far as a concrete block..I have used one to sharpen my parang several times..Worked rather well actually. It's not a WE, but then again, I freehand sharpen all of my knives on various stones and have absolutely no issues sharpening using this archaic method :)

If i recall correctly CRK recommends 18 to 20 degrees... obviously a hack can destroy a blade if he does not know what he or she is doing... if all your crk knives are safe queens then keep em there and never use them

Some are queens and some aren't:D. If I was going to use a WE, here's what I'd personally do:

- SHARPIE!! hit the edge and use only two or three strokes of 1000 grit or less.

- After two or three strokes, I'd make sure that the very edge of the marker was removed, evenly.

- use 600 grit gently at 18+ degrees for only a bit to make my secondary bevel

- finish at 18 degrees until mirror

- at 20 degrees, continue with the 600 grit (depending) to start my primary bevel

- draw a burr at that grit

- finish until mirror

- set at 19 degrees and go back with my finest stone and combine the bevels

- strop them together until mirror

Some are queens and some aren't:D. If I was going to use a WE, here's what I'd personally do:

- SHARPIE!! hit the edge and use only two or three strokes of 1000 grit or less.

- After two or three strokes, I'd make sure that the very edge of the marker was removed.

- use 600 grit gently at 18+ degrees for only a bit to make my secondary bevel

- finish at 18 degrees until mirror

- at 20 degrees, continue with the 600 grit (depending) to start my primary bevel

- draw a burr at that grit

- finish until mirror

- set at 19 degrees and go back with my finest stone and combine the bevels

- strop them together until mirror

Thanks!!!

While you are welcome to your opinion, others here are welcome to theirs.. Many of whom buy a great number of knives from authorized dealers for their collections.. Myself included and I do have a few that I likely won't use.

As far as a concrete block..I have used one to sharpen my parang several times..Worked rather well actually. It's not a WE, but then again, I freehand sharpen all of my knives on various stones and have absolutely no issues sharpening using this archaic method :)

Thankfully, I have moved beyond concrete blocks, sharpmakers and carbide V sharpens.... I agree if you don't plan to use it then don't sharpen it... keep it in a safe or display case

Thanks!!!

Lol. No problem. It took a lot for me to say that as I am a purist. One thing though, make sure to do it EVENLY!!! There is nothing worse than an uneven bevel at the tip. That's where the sharpie is invaluable.

Lol. No problem. It took a lot for me to say that as I am a purist. One thing though, make sure to do it EVENLY!!! There is nothing worse than am uneven bevel at the tip. That's where the sharpie is invaluable.

Wait... what is a bevel?? Haha

I only use diamond stones... I personally like 17 degrees up to 1500 grit and then go back and micro bevel lightly with 1000 grit at 20 degrees

I only use diamond stones... I personally like 17 degrees up to 1500 grit and then go back and micro bevel lightly with 1000 grit at 20 degrees

I don't have the 1500 grit diamond. I just have the 800/1000 then the 12/1600 ceramic. I have never gone back and put a micro bevel on my knives. I will try that on one of my less expensive knives first. Do it hold the edge well?

IMO, a microbevel is as good as gold on whatever system you use. It makes for very quick touch-ups that you don't have to screw with the mirror finish you worked so hard to get. A microbevel only takes a few passes...

I don't have the 1500 grit diamond. I just have the 800/1000 then the 12/1600 ceramic. I have never gone back and put a micro bevel on my knives. I will try that on one of my less expensive knives first. Do it hold the edge well?

Yes, it does... of course edge retention is also a function of the blade steel... you are basically apexing the edge a little more so use finesse

I sharpened my friends basketweave mnandi on my WE, and it turned out great. Unfortunately it had a really uneven grind. The only thing to be cautious about it the small height of the blade. Since it extends only a small bit above the WE clamp, you might need to set it higher then the top position you can reach with the 'stoppins'
Otherwise you might hit the clamp with your stones.
As far as the comments on value, l understand them, but my knives are all used, and only 'mine' when l sharpened them myself.....

Goodluck
Niels

Ps.
Also works great on spirograph small sebbie

Sent from iPhone met Tapatalk
26c069babdbc0d020ae9b385106d05a1.jpg

Lol. No problem. It took a lot for me to say that as I am a purist. One thing though, make sure to do it EVENLY!!! There is nothing worse than an uneven bevel at the tip. That's where the sharpie is invaluable.

True dat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back