Wicked Edge or WorkSharp Ken Onion?

My Wicked Edge is due to arrive at my house tomorrow and I can't wait. All I have been doing is watching videos and researching different techniques to use with the WE!

How do you like the WE? I got one last Christmas and think it is great.

It took me some time, but I'm getting the hang of the WE. I added the 1200/1600 ceramic stones for that mirror finish and on my folders the edge is balls-out sharp as hell. My longer survival and "tactical" knives, especially ones with recurve like my ZT 0100, are proving to be more of a challenge.

Recurves are tricky on just about any sharpening system. They are the one blade shape I've had trouble with on my Wicked Edge. The stones are just too wide to fit into the curved area.

Indeed.

And that's why the WSKS shines in comparison.

I sharpened my Benchmade Large Skirmish to a mirror edge (in about 5 minutes) easily, recurve no problem.

I understand the joy in s-l-o-w-l-y and methodically sharpening a blade with a non-motorized, mechanical system, and I have done it many times.

But after a while, the euphoria of having a sharp knife in your pocket, or on your belt or pack, QUICKLY, so you can be ready, or go out and use it, overshadows that joy.

May I ask, what is to done now with that recurve blade?

Nothing like a very good belt sander 1x30 or 1x42
the WSKO works OK but it's still feels like a toy

I have a wicked edge and love it but have been getting the urge to buy a ken onion ws for my "survival , camp " style knives. I can do them on the wicked edge but i dont screaming sharpnon those knives just a sharp working edge and i hear the work sharp does that quick. Why waste all the expensive wicked edge stuff on a knife i beat the shit out of i guess im thinking ? Idk what are your guys suggestions

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I have the KO with Blade Grinding Attachment 18x1” belts and I can get knives WAY sharper than any factory edge I’ve seen. After I use the KO, I will go to the leather strop with green compound to produce the final insane edge. It will take some practice and you have to have patience and not rush it with harder steels, eventually even the Spyderco S110V blades can get a screaming edge. Took me about 8 blades before I could produce light saber edges. There is simply nothing better for reprofiling edges in my opinion.

My longer survival and "tactical" knives, especially ones with recurve like my ZT 0100, are proving to be more of a challenge.

I am waiting for the chisel attachment to be redesigned to place an order and when I do it will have the longer arms. I have hope that these may help with the longer blades.

RE: The comments of the Paper wheels.
I've located what I think (!!) are good ones for $59.00 for two...(cutting and polishing).
Do I need a dedicated slow bench grinder or will my 3600 RPM 8 inch bench grinder work?
This looks like a very efficient and compentent alternative.

If I were to start a small commercial venture what machine or system would be best.
I've researched the Kalamazoo and the Torek.
The Tormek seems to be in the same price range as the Wicked Edge. It looks remarkably quick, sure,& quiet. The water bath also seems to have some significant advantages. I'm not ready to make a decision but if was this would be my early favorite but I'd sure appreciate any input.

I have the KO with Blade Grinding Attachment 18x1” belts and I can get knives WAY sharper than any factory edge I’ve seen. After I use the KO, I will go to the leather strop with green compound to produce the final insane edge. It will take some practice and you have to have patience and not rush it with harder steels, eventually even the Spyderco S110V blades can get a screaming edge. Took me about 8 blades before I could produce light saber edges. There is simply nothing better for reprofiling edges in my opinion.

I have the blade grinder attachment and I love it as well. I have sharpened a LOT of blades on it and it is super fast and produces very very keen edges once you get proficient. Polished even bevels quick. Love using it on kitchen knives to fix chips and broken tips as well. Pretty versital setup. I have a fixed system as well but only break it out when I want to take time on a certain knife and do something spesific.

Back