Wife Knife?

So I finally got the Mrs to acknowledge that she should have a good fixed blade knife for when we are out in the woods.

So my question to my fellow ESEE fans is this. Which one?

I was thinking either the Izula II or the 3 w/ the modified pommel as she said she doesn't want anything real big (which to me rules out the 4 and above.)

However don't just say which one, give me a reason why you think Izula II or the 3 is the better choice.

I would esp like to hear from the ladies here.

Thanks in advance for your help and opinions.

Due to the overwhelming amount of people who keep suggesting pink Izulas I will put this here since people don't seem to be reading anything past the first post or two. I AM LOOKING FOR INPUT BETWEEN THE IZULA II & THE ESEE 3 ONLY, AND SHE F@#$ING HATES PINK so please quite suggesting pink Izulas.

Last edited:
Get her the same size model that you use, as to avoid the "How come your knife is bigger then mine, do you think just cuz I am a girl...blah blah blah" or let her pick it out. If she has small hands get the Izula II, if not go for the three.

I was thinking of picking up my wife a pink Izula along with a set of scales.

If she likes cutting wood and building her own fire, really into the outdoors a 3 but if she is your typical woman who likes the outdoors but rather her husband do the knife work get her a izula II. I have a izulaII and really like it. Besides if she wants a bigger one then it would be a good anniversary or b-day gift or if you make her mad- ah scratch that.

Well personally, instead of "getting her one" I'd include her in the process. Pull up the website, show her what you're thinking of and ask her input. You can offer your own perspectives, but she'll not make a bad choice any way she goes, so it's not like you need to guide her too much. I don't know her preferences, I don't know what kind of clothes she wears (would she be wearing a belt that a knife could hang from, or would a neck knife be the solution?), and I don't know the size of her hands, so I can't really speak intelligently on giving any sort of advice, nor do I think anybody else here could.

Well she is not a wife, but I recently bought my lady friend a pink Izula with the optional micarta scales. She loves it.
Skewers023.jpg

Skewers026.jpg

Well personally, instead of "getting her one" I'd include her in the process. Pull up the website, show her what you're thinking of and ask her input. You can offer your own perspectives, but she'll not make a bad choice any way she goes, so it's not like you need to guide her too much.

I totally agree with my man here. Pull up the site you buy from and show her the options. You can give your opinion and let her choose. I hope it goes well for you dude.

Get her the same size model that you use, as to avoid the "How come your knife is bigger then mine, do you think just cuz I am a girl...blah blah blah"
I usually carry a Junglas around with me in the woods and she has already said that she doesn't want anything "like that behemoth I have"

I was thinking of picking up my wife a pink Izula along with a set of scales.
She hates pink.

If she likes cutting wood and building her own fire, really into the outdoors a 3 but if she is your typical woman who likes the outdoors but rather her husband do the knife work get her a izula II. I have a izulaII and really like it. Besides if she wants a bigger one then it would be a good anniversary or b-day gift or if you make her mad- ah scratch that.
I am the main doer of outdoor things but I'm hoping to change that. Not because I don't like doing it but because I think it is important for her to learn some of these skills for herself. As I told her what if something happens to me when we are out.

Well personally, instead of "getting her one" I'd include her in the process. Pull up the website, show her what you're thinking of and ask her input. You can offer your own perspectives, but she'll not make a bad choice any way she goes, so it's not like you need to guide her too much. I don't know her preferences, I don't know what kind of clothes she wears (would she be wearing a belt that a knife could hang from, or would a neck knife be the solution?), and I don't know the size of her hands, so I can't really speak intelligently on giving any sort of advice, nor do I think anybody else here could.
She won't have the patience to look at something online that she doesn't feel is essential.
She said that she would like something that she can put on a belt but now hang 1/2 way down her leg.
She does have have fairly small hands, not tiny, just slim fingers. Nothing like my beefy mitts as she calls them.

Thanks for the input so far folks & keep the opinions coming.

I am a firm believer, when buying women in your life, and outdoor item of any sort, they need to be the one picking out the products.

I would suggest getting her to look at the different models and seeing what she thinks she would be interested in.

My wife, chose the Camillus Pilot Survival knife for hers, and I made a sheath for her, to her specs. My daughter wanted an Izula. My youngest daughter wants and Izual with purple micarta scales. The reminds me almost daily.

My first suggestion for you, other than what I stated above, would be the 4. After that, a 3, and after that, an Izual II.

Since she said she didn't want a "big" knife, I'll leave the 5 and 6 outta it, but I think the 6 would be perfect.

Nothing in the woods she can't get done with a 4 and some skills, IMO.

Moose

If you already have a II and a 3 you should let her handle both of them and find out which one she is most comfortable with. If not, then I would go with the advice several others above this post have given and let her pick it out. You don't want her to think that this is more about you then her. Try to include her as much as possible in the process.

I dont own any ESEE's (yet :D), but im ordering myself an izula and a 3 as soon as i can afford em, been drooling over the 3 since i handled one for the first time last summer.

Anyways, when i was looking up diffrent dealers my girlfriend walked by the computer and saw the pink izula and said it was kinda cute, but then she added "too bad it looks cheap and uncomfortable"

I would get them both, let her try them out and keep for myself or sell the one she rejects;)

my girl HATES the color pink, but loves silver and blue.

i would get her a black blade with blue wrap

Don't have a Iz II or a 3 yet so I can't have her try them out & compare the two for herself. If I had them that would be the first thing I'd do.

I can try to gt her to look at the knives on the computer and choose from there but not sure I'll have much luck in getting her to do so. I may just have to print out some life size photos of them and get her to pick from those. If it is tangible there will be a better chance of her taking the time to choose.

my wife didn't want a 3, but she loves her cord wrapped izula. (black w/blue paracord)

I would esp like to hear from the ladies here.

Adam seems to be a big fan of the 4....

My girlfriend also picked the four out of the pile of knives I offered her. OF course it was sitting next to my 6's (which she also has nabbed one of), my 5 my condor's, my junglas, my RTAK II, and my Lite machete (which she also nabbed one of). So, "small" was probably very situational in that selection.... though she still grabs it every hiking trip we take.

Id say the orange izula well because your cant lose that sucker AND my women is also a pink hater, but still likes something different then black.

I'm a firm believer in, "I'm going to the woods, I'll be back later!"

Just me?

:confused:

Nope. ;)

Taking her into the woods with me would almost be like taking her into my favorite bar ...

On topic: My wife sees the Izula as a toy (although I've proven many times that - in the right hands - it is not). Don't buy her a "toy" when she feels like this, but a knife that she will feel good and secure with, like the 3 or 4. Anyway you have to be more skilled in using knives to be able to do the same things with your Izula.

Back