Wifi Question .

LEGION 12

Gold Member
Is there a way to get Wifi without a provider ? Only need it for streaming movies and shows . Thanks in advance .

Coffee shops, restaurants and bars usually have wifi. If you are good friends with a neighbor they might give you their wifi password- if they have that service.
And libraries usually have wifi.

Good Luck

If you look in the list of available WiFi networks where you go to connect you should see a little padlock, locked or unlocked, if it's unlocked you can connect to it just be careful of the data you enter there because it is visible on their network, I probably wouldn't unless it was a public network, but like the poster above said if you go into your settings on your phone and search for hotspot, you may have like 10-15GB of hotspot data included in your plan

I was using my neighbors but they are moving , all the network's I see are locked , can't seem to get the hotspots feature on my phone to work .

I was using my neighbors but they are moving , all the network's I see are locked , can't seem to get the hotspots feature on my phone to work .

Maybe get ahold of your carrier in a live chat or something and ask if it's part of your plan, I know it's part of unlimited plans with major carriers but not sure about other

You can get WiFi without a provider, you just won't get internet access... which is what I'm thinking you are referring to.

I don't know if WiFi sharing with a neighbor is allowed by providers, but you could ask. There are security issues with sharing WiFi so don't be surprised if neighbors won't allow it.

Some providers, like T-Mobile, have data plans that have unlimited streaming of certain video sites on their devices. Back in the day, some smartphones would allow you to connect/mirror to your TV (e.g. MHL adapter)... although I don't know what quality (720, 1080, etc. would be displayed).

My wireless provider charges extra for HotSpot use and it is NOT unlimited, so you might want to ask about that if you go that route.

You might also want to look if there are any free internet access projects in your area. For example, 2 month free service with new activation, or some providers (like AT&T) might have programs for low income households that are having trouble during the pandemic.

Another option would be to download your movies or shows from a public WiFi area for watching later. Some streaming services have this option (I can't recall which ones though). This might require a little more daily footwork and planning on your end due to the nature of this strategy.

Hate to say it, but it’s probably time to suck it up and pay a provider for WiFi. Hopefully you’re in a market that has some competitive options. My area is monopolized by Verizon and Comcast, so you’re stuck playing their games.

Come on over. When you get here I'll give you the password.

Just to be clear you can setup a router and connect computers in the house to each other but you won't be watching Netflix.

You can setup your phone as a hot spot but you burn data at an insane rate. Garbage truck tore down our fiber optic line a year ago and I spent a week using my phone network and the data usage/alarms were not sustainable.

Plan B) is get suuuuper chummy with the new neighbors and continue poaching. Or try telling them you have an easement.

Wi-fi is a wireless connection between you and and a router, (normally your own, but in your case, your neighbor's.)
Router connects to the modem
Modem connects to the internet access provider.

Wi-fi by itself does not connect to the internet, so you can't get movies without some sort of internet provider in the loop.
You have been using your neighbor's internet provider, by linking your wi-fi to your neighbor's router.

A lot of internet providers have basic cable plans for around $50/month. They will also rent you a modem/router unit and install it for you. I think mine has a $10/month rental plan. So that's the simplest answer. (Though you do need to be careful, because they love to sell upgrades. Just keep saying, "nope.")

Other than that, it's time to roll out the welcome wagon and make friendly with the new neighbor.

As mentioned earlier, you may have to purchase service.

I used to use Comcast which was really fast during the day. In the evening, it slowed considerably due to folks being home from work and converting the line.

I switched to a phone service modem and the speeds are consistent regardless of the time of day, and about 28 bucks a month.

On t-mobile's unlimited they give 10gb with the service and I think it was $15 extra a month to go unlimited hotspot but the download and upload speeds were atrocious, I have Att now (unfortunately) they give 15gb with the unlimited plan I'm on, and switching back to Verizon asap since they've become competitive with their rates also includes 10gb hotspot, it works for streaming in a pinch, I recently moved and adn't gotten internet set up in my first month and I think I burned through the 15gb in 2-3 weeks just streaming for an hour or so per day during the week maybe a 2-3 on weekend days.

I figured out how to get in my Hotspot I get 12 GB monthly not much right ?

I figured out how to get in my Hotspot

Congratulations, not as easy as they make it sound. Emergency use for me when my internet connection is down. Using T-Mobile and a Google phone in Chicago, my guesstimate is 2–3 mbps which is pokey but usable for bills, banking etc. I used dial up 25 years ago and I have low standards, but I don't think you'll be watching movies like this. Try it and see. Use your phone as a hotspot, watch a YouTube video (knives are good) and see what you think.

I figured out how to get in my Hotspot I get 12 GB monthly not much right ?

Does you have a 12GB limit on your total data, or is it just your hotspot? What's your phone and your provider?

I have T-Mobile with an (older, grandfathered) unlimited plan. My hotspot is 7GB, but I only use it for my tablet, which doesn't use much because I don't stream on it.

I use my unlimited plan on my laptop, which is plugged into my phone. Using an app called PdaNET, I can connect my phone to my computer and it uses my unlimited data rather than my hotspot. It does this by using a companion program you install on your computer. It can also be connected through wifi and Blutooth, but I haven't found those to be as reliable.

There are drawbacks.

1. The speed/connection isn't as reliable as "proper" internet. T-Mobile can and does throttle your "unlimited" highspeed during "peak" times if you go beyond 50GB (and I do). Even at full speed, the connection isn't completely reliable, and sometimes I have to reconnect, or even reboot to get the app/program to work properly.

2. It'll destroy your phone's battery. The phone I use is an LG V20. It's a few generations old, but still powerful enough to do everything I need it to do. I also have a V40, which I rarely bother using. The reason I stick with the V20 is that it's the most powerful phone available that still has a swappable battery. Using it for my computer's internet taxes the battery far more than "normal" use, especially if I'm using it constantly for downloading/streaming for hours on end. New batteries are under $10 a pop and it takes at least a few months before they start showing overuse (ie: they start expanding and the life turns to crap). Much cheaper than buying an entire new phone though.

3. It's not particularly good for actual wi-fi. There are programs that can turn your computer's wi-fi modem into a wi-fi router (PdaNET has this built-in), but I haven't found it to be reliable enough to actually bother using. But I live alone in a dinky apartment and am the only one that needs to use my internet.

However, if all you want to do is watch some netflix, all you need to do is use your phone like I've described, and plug your computer in to a TV via HDMI. If you plan to do this a lot, you might want to buy a cheap, older phone that you can swap the battery with after you inevitably fry it, but it's a PITA to constantly swap the SIM card between your phones if you do this regularly.

Does you have a 12GB limit on your total data, or is it just your hotspot? What's your phone and your provider?

I have T-Mobile with an (older, grandfathered) unlimited plan. My hotspot is 7GB, but I only use it for my tablet, which doesn't use much because I don't stream on it.

I use my unlimited plan on my laptop, which is plugged into my phone. Using an app called PdaNET, I can connect my phone to my computer and it uses my unlimited data rather than my hotspot. It does this by using a companion program you install on your computer. It can also be connected through wifi and Blutooth, but I haven't found those to be as reliable.

There are drawbacks.

1. The speed/connection isn't as reliable as "proper" internet. T-Mobile can and does throttle your "unlimited" highspeed during "peak" times if you go beyond 50GB (and I do). Even at full speed, the connection isn't completely reliable, and sometimes I have to reconnect, or even reboot to get the app/program to work properly.

2. It'll destroy your phone's battery. The phone I use is an LG V20. It's a few generations old, but still powerful enough to do everything I need it to do. I also have a V40, which I rarely bother using. The reason I stick with the V20 is that it's the most powerful phone available that still has a swappable battery. Using it for my computer's internet taxes the battery far more than "normal" use, especially if I'm using it constantly for downloading/streaming for hours on end. New batteries are under $10 a pop and it takes at least a few months before they start showing overuse (ie: they start expanding and the life turns to crap). Much cheaper than buying an entire new phone though.

3. It's not particularly good for actual wi-fi. There are programs that can turn your computer's wi-fi modem into a wi-fi router (PdaNET has this built-in), but I haven't found it to be reliable enough to actually bother using. But I live alone in a dinky apartment and am the only one that needs to use my internet.

However, if all you want to do is watch some netflix, all you need to do is use your phone like I've described, and plug your computer in to a TV via HDMI. If you plan to do this a lot, you might want to buy a cheap, older phone that you can swap the battery with after you inevitably fry it, but it's a PITA to constantly swap the SIM card between your phones if you do this regularly.
12 GB for the hotspot I have the unlimited plan for calls and texts phone is a Motorola g fast carrier is Boost I think I have up to 35 GB data a month.

I only have mobile, because my only other option is immobile mobile (aka sattellite) which is utter garbage, I get by alright with 8gb a month, but I don't stream movies. 3.99 DVD bin is my friend.

Can you use your local library to get plenty of free movies?

images

Back