Wifi Question .

If you want to stream video you need an ISP. If you want to save money buy your own hardware. Paying the monthly hardware rental fee does not make sense. Just look up what routers and modems are compatible with your ISP.

I think you should bite the bullet and get your own home service via a provider. Cell phones are great in a pinch, but they are slow. 5G may change that??

SpaceX Starlink sounds like the answer — only $99/month and $499 for the terminal, mounting tripod and router!

https://arstechnica.com/information...takes-user-terminal-into-forest-gets-120mbps/

starlink-forest-1-980x735.jpeg

SpaceX Starlink sounds like the answer — only $99/month and $499 for the terminal, mounting tripod and router!

https://arstechnica.com/information...takes-user-terminal-into-forest-gets-120mbps/

starlink-forest-1-980x735.jpeg

Nah, satellite is crap unless you're living completely off the edge of the map. 100$/month gets you 120mbps for the first 8-10 gb, which isn't that much, then they throttle you down to 1997 speeds until you buy more data for usually about $10-20 per gb. Mandatory 2 year contract with up to $450 cancellation fee. But satellite gets even better if you video call or game because even the best, fastest signal physically possible takes several seconds to get into orbit and back down.Then it has to do it again in the opposite direction. And it has all of the same atmospheric drawbacks of mobile. Like fog or storms with the added perk of higher altitude cloud cover being a hinderence. If you're even slightly within range of your nearest cell tower, you're better off going with a mobile hotspot and maybe a cell boster, you get just about the same data, same speeds, same throttling once you go over, and the signal only has to travel a few miles over land. And it's usually slightly cheaper than satellite.

I use Boost Mobile,it's still running on the TMobile network as far as I know,the phone plan is suppose to be unlimited but around the time they closed on the TMobile Sprint merger I started seeing that speeds could be throttled after 35 gigs.I also have 30 gigs of hotspot with that too and with that much data I usually have enough data to steam a few hours of of video per month,some months I could probably watch 5 or 6 movies but if I'm casting them to TV I'm using data from the phone and hotspot,the Chromecast works off the hotspot too.

Back