Wild hog medicine WIP

Gossman Knives

Edged Toolmaker
Since it's a bit slow around here and I'm caught up on orders, I thought I'd start a WIP progress thread about a knife I'm making for a boar hunt next year. Awhile back cddogfan invited me down south to hunt hogs. I talked with him a few weeks ago and the plan is to get together next April to hunt. I've been wanting to knife hunt hogs for awhile but I do plan on packing either my Ruger Super Blawkhawk 44 mag or my TC Contender 45 winchester mag. also.
The knife is going to be very similar to gundy's Tusker bowie only it will be 1 1/2" wide, 9 1/4" blade with a single finger guard. I'll be using 1/4" thick CPMS 35VN steel for this knife. Handle scales may be stag, not sure yet. I will post the progress in this thread.
Scott

That'll be one hell of a knife Scott! Why the CMPS 35VN, well, what's your reason? Edge retention, or stainless factor, or what?

That'll be one hell of a knife Scott! Why the CMPS 35VN, well, what's your reason? Edge retention, or stainless factor, or what?

I've been extremely impressed with this steel. Edge retention is unreal and it's a pretty tough steel.
Scott

Scott that sounds like one hell of a good time.I can not wait to see the knife you come up for this hunt.Can we say a Gossman Bowie added to your line up.Might have to be my third Gossman I really loved Gundy's Bowie.

Mike

Mike, I've wanted to knife hunt wild hogs ever since reading about it in Tactical Knives magazine way back in the early 90's. The article about Larry Harley's Battle Bowie. I'd love to stick a "razorback" hog just for Arkansas State University. Long story which I try to forget.
Scott

I have also always wanted to knife hunt hogs. Just keep that handgun close by.Them tusk they have are razor sharp.If I get retired I am gonna try to do one before I get much more crippled between my knee and spine.

Mike

Well, don't think I would ever hunt a hog with a knife.

However, if I did, I would want to do it with a Gossman in my hand.
Can't wait to see the knife WIP, Scott.

Good luck and be careful.

Cool deal Scott. Can not wait to see the knife. Talked to the Guys we are ready when you are. Here is a pic of a Hog we got a couple years ago. 490lb on the hoof. Almost 4inch cutters (bottom tusks). I am the 1st guy on the left.

490 Hog 1 by cddogfan1, on Flickr

I picked the CPMS 35VN because I am so impressed with everything I did with the UNK I made last year. Knife writer Mac Overton has that UNK now. Doing an article about it.
If you ever wonder why certain steels for custom knives make the cost high, it's because the steel is expensive. I just bought 24" of this steel and it is $137.00 shipped.
Scott

Cant wait for the WIP pics Scott.

Man I wanna stick a Hog too. Always wanted to do that.

Got the knife started. It's 14" overall, 9" blade, 1/4" thick by 1 1/2" wide CPM S35 VN steel. Stainless guard. Still pondering what handle material. Most likely micarta.
Scott

Attachments

• hogbowie2.jpg
    hogbowie2.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 79
  • hogbowie.jpg
    hogbowie.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 59
Scott that does look good. I second the Micarta. That is my handle material of choice on a working knife. With the blood hopefully it will see the micarta would clean up better in my opinion. Hope to put some gossman steel to a hog this weekend. Not to kill with but to butcher with. I been trapping a few on a hunting lease I have. Caught 5 last weekend gave them away cause I did not have the time to process them. This weekend will be diffrent. Catching them is a live cage trap (picture a super sized hav-a-hart)

Back