Wilderness exploration with a David Mary field knife

It's hard to tell from the pic, but the way down was so steep I basically sat on my but and slid down. The rocks collapsed under me at one point and made a little avalanche. I fell over a few times on this trip and got a bit bruised I have to admit.

Looks like it was worth it!

But I keep expecting dragons in one of your pics... The setting is perfect for them.

IMG-8724.jpg

Now I have OCD about that loose thread

That field knife is gorgeous and should be a flagship design for David. I’m jealous both of the knife, and of your beautiful surroundings in Australia. I’m stuck in the rainy-40-degree Midwest! A few words on David: he is quickly becoming my favorite custom maker. A genuine, stand-up guy and excellent knives. It’s hard for me to carry any fixed blades besides the two he made me and I have a lot to choose from!

Thank you for a great photo show. I enjoyed it.
Awesome nature scenes in different light settings.
The knife looks perfect for the environment.

A genuine, stand-up guy

If I am, then may it start to make up for all the many times I have failed to be in the past. And if I am not, then may I become so posthaste. And thank you for the kind words about my modest work. Though I am but a novice in this great craft, I have never felt more at home.

Great scenery and knife! As a side note, why does everything that grows or lives on 4 (or more) legs in Australia want to kill you?

It's really not that bad. People talk about Australia being dangerous, but there's only a few places you have to watch out for:

- Anywhere there's long grass or thick ground cover, tiger snakes, red-bellied black snakes, etc. can bite you at any time. A few trips into the bush ago I had a very large brown snake (second most venemous snake in the world) literally jump off a pile of rocks above me, and fly through the air towards my chest trying to bite me. So avoid those areas if you're worried about getting bitten.

- Anywhere there are logs or fallen branches, you can get funnel web spiders. They have a bite so strong they can pierce a thumbnail. I once had to pressure bandage a woman's entire leg and rush her off to the emergency room after she sat on a log at dusk and was bitten by a funnel web.

- Anywhere under trees, things can jump on you. I once chased a large goanna (a lizard that grows to 2 metres long) up a tree, but then when we weren't looking it fell off and almost landed on someones head (they are heavy!). They're also aggressive and will charge you. I've had to fight them off with brooms around the house. My friend had to go to hospital after a big one charged her and bit a chunk out of her hand. In the rainforests up north, you also have to watch out for Cassowary's, one of the world's largest birds with a poisonous hook on their feet that they attack people with.

- Anywhere in the water, we have blue octopus, box jellyfish, saltwater crocs and sharks. Probably best to stay out of the water.

So as long as you don't go in the grass, near logs, under trees or in the water you'll be fine.

Basically, the desert is completely safe! Apart from being an area the size of Europe with no water and hardly any roads. Actually now that I think about it, the desert also has the Inland Taipan "An average bite yields 44mg of venom, which could kill 25–30 people."

So stay inside the house and you'll be fine. Apart from bushfires.

Very reassuring.

A few trips into the bush ago I had a very large brown snake (second most venemous snake in the world) literally jump off a pile of rocks above me, and fly through the air towards my chest trying to bite me.

Did it land on the ground in two or more pieces? 🥷

It's really not that bad. People talk about Australia being dangerous, but there's only a few places you have to watch out for:

- Anywhere there's long grass or thick ground cover, tiger snakes, red-bellied black snakes, etc. can bite you at any time. A few trips into the bush ago I had a very large brown snake (second most venemous snake in the world) literally jump off a pile of rocks above me, and fly through the air towards my chest trying to bite me. So avoid those areas if you're worried about getting bitten.

- Anywhere there are logs or fallen branches, you can get funnel web spiders. They have a bite so strong they can pierce a thumbnail. I once had to pressure bandage a woman's entire leg and rush her off to the emergency room after she sat on a log at dusk and was bitten by a funnel web.

- Anywhere under trees, things can jump on you. I once chased a large goanna (a lizard that grows to 2 metres long) up a tree, but then when we weren't looking it fell off and almost landed on someones head (they are heavy!). They're also aggressive and will charge you. I've had to fight them off with brooms around the house. My friend had to go to hospital after a big one charged her and bit a chunk out of her hand. In the rainforests up north, you also have to watch out for Cassowary's, one of the world's largest birds with a poisonous hook on their feet that they attack people with.

- Anywhere in the water, we have blue octopus, box jellyfish, saltwater crocs and sharks. Probably best to stay out of the water.

So as long as you don't go in the grass, near logs, under trees or in the water you'll be fine.

Basically, the desert is completely safe! Apart from being an area the size of Europe with no water and hardly any roads. Actually now that I think about it, the desert also has the Inland Taipan "An average bite yields 44mg of venom, which could kill 25–30 people."

So stay inside the house and you'll be fine. Apart from bushfires.
Considering the size of our population, and where they are most heavily populated, we really have very few deaths from all our wild life. You have more chance of dying driving your car or catching the flu. :thumbsup:

I was too slow on the draw. I almost fell over leaping out of the way. I didn't even know what it was until I looked at the ground a saw a snake as thick as my arm coiling around trying to get to me again. Then I ran for it.
I was out collecting yabby nets out of a dam in about the mid nineties, hot day and me not concentrating, there was a brown snake came down for a drink, i nearly walked into it. It sat back and coiled and struck at me. The advise of standing still was thrown out the window. I departed very quickly.

Back