Will Benchmade send me new 943 scales? (modding my 940)

Planning out my future 940 purchase, and finding knife-makers that anodize aluminum scales is surprisingly difficult. I'm thinking the easiest/cheapest way to get black aluminum scales on my future 940 is to ask Benchmade for 943 scales..

I'm happy to buy the scales from Benchmade, but I'm afraid they'll ask me to send them my 943 (which I don't have) and only offer to replace the scales at the factory. From my experience talking with BM customer service, they're a little conservative about modding.

Does anyone have experience with this? Not sure how to approach BM.

Traditionally BM's policy would be - no. However it doesn't hurt to ask. Barring that, then you will need a 943 and mix and match (like I did) or get someone to anodize black, which may ultimately be the least costly.

If you aren't adamant about aluminum, there is the 940-2 with black g10 scales a few dollars cheaper than the standard 940. However, some say they don't like the -2 scales. I find them just fine, different, but fine.

I've only looked at metal shops locally here in Colorado, was quoted around $100 to anodize the 940 scales. Seems crazy expensive.

C colin.p do you know if all the 940s' (940, 940-1, 940-2) blades fit 943 scales?

I only have the 940, 940-2 and the 943 and they all fit

1hhGDfE.jpg

C colin.p Nice dude. Do you find any difference in action between the 940 and 943? It's almost the same model right, just different blade shapes?

C colin.p Nice dude. Do you find any difference in action between the 940 and 943? It's almost the same model right, just different blade shapes?
I'm not sure what the technical weight difference is between the 940 and 943 blades, but I can tell a difference. There is more mass at the tip with the 940 and the action is a little more pronounced than the 943, as the 943 is less mass toward the tip and requires a slightly more "wrist" to close. It certainly isn't much and most people probably wouldn't notice it if they didn't have the both together.

The variations from knife to knife will be a more noticeable difference than the weight of the blades. I bought a 940 and 943 to do exactly what you’re thinking. The green 943 that resulted has the most-free swinging blade out of all of my knives and opens faster than an auto.

64561438-C66E-43DE-B543-FA087FC675D9.jpeg 1F62C342-9A8A-4C16-944B-D81601DE31DA.jpeg I don’t think that the black Aluminum handles are anodized. I think they are Ceracoated. The Carbon fiber handles are black (and light). Titanium is the easiest to anodize, but colors don’t include black. I took apart the top knife in this picture and had my son-in law anodize it. Just got it back today.

If you're looking for black, have someone Cerakote them. It's a nice, durable finish.

No, BM won't sell you handles even if your there in person.
They made some black and red 940's but not recently.
Go for hard anodizing Mil spec. I've used quite a bit of cerakote, its good but just a coating where the Mil spec hard ano is aprox .003" thick, if your machining something that is hard ano you can feel it until you break through it, it's the best.

Back