Will I ever buy a knife of another brand other than SURVIVE!?

DISCLAIMER: I think all of the following knives and the companies that make them are awesome. This post is about what I like about SURVIVE! and not what I don't like about other brands. Also, I'm kind of an S! fanboy...

ALSO, this might be my longest post ever.....

In the last several months I've taken advantage of the S! starter and purchased a few of the old models. I've also seriously considered buying some other knives by other brands. As I've looked at pictures of and researched these other knives I've thought about how I could fit them into my budget. I've thought about how great these are and how much I'd love to have them. Despite that and because of my own tastes and financial limits, I can't seem to add anything to my cart or finish an order on any of them. Has SURVIVE! ruined other companies and their knives for me?

Thanks to a cool dude in our subforum I was introduced to Fiddleback Forge. They seem like a really neat and unique company. These 2 knives have such simple and sexy designs. Price seems pretty good for what you're getting, but I really prefer kydex and sometimes nylon sheaths. I just couldn't go ahead with one of these sweet blades knowing I'd immediately "need" to replace the leather sheath.
*http://www.knivesshipfree.com/fiddleback-forge-production-bushfinger-black-canvas-micarta-s35vn/

*http://www.knivesshipfree.com/fiddleback-forge-production-camp-knife-black-canvas-micarta-cpm-3v/

The look of this knife is one of the meanest I've ever seen. I've been casually looking for a folder with a similar blade shape for years. The one thing holding me back is the steel of the knife, I've never heard of anyone else using 8670M and I can't find any really solid information on it.
*https://www.southerngroundstore.com/southern-grind-store/jackal/jackal-gun-blk.html

This is by far not the beastiest thing made by Miller Bros Blades, but it is definitely an absolute beast. I do realize this is a true custom and understand what goes into their process and how it is reflected in their pricing. There's no way I could pay over $300 for 5160 steel and a sheath that has no attachments on it.
*http://www.millerbrosblades.com/current-knife---sword-models.html

Like I've said, the above are all incredible cutting tools and anyone would be lucky to own one. For myself, I just can't get myself to pull the trigger, especially when I know that I could put money towards an upcoming GSO 10 or 8 that has all the features I want and awesome materials in blade, handle and sheath.

I really agree. For me, other knives are for sure wants, but due to my financial limits I have a hard time buying fixed blades knowing I have a 7/7 coming and hard to buy folders because the 3.5 fits so well in my pocket

Yeah!

I forgot to say that if I won the powerball, I'd buy all these and more, but because of the whole reality thing, I really see myself sticking with SURVIVE!

I understand your love and loyalty for SK! cause I own a couple too. I think its good to have a variety of blades from other makers as well. I try to zero in on who makes the best knife for the task that I can afford. Have a couple bushcraft, EDC's/Neck, SAK's...for the times when you want something more specifically made for the job.

I some what agree. I don't see myself in the near future purchasing a tool steel knife from anyone else. The quality in S! products IMHO is unsurpassed, as well as the customer service. Are they easy to get ahold of. Not always. Are they fast. Not always. But these are things that show Guy would prefer selling a quality product over quantities of products.

With that said I'll still buy esse. They have never done me wrong. And until S! comes out with a folder I'm sure spyderco will still receive portions of my pay check. And well what can I say I'm purely addicted to my classy gentlemen's folders like my GEC and case knives. But I if I was ever put in that situation I can say my gso is the one is trust most.

Really great thread needle, in part because on my BUY list are those two fiddlebacks. I actually don't like the "bullseye" lanyard hole trademark of the custom FB's, so the midtechs are great for me. Luckily I prefer leather so for me that's a bonus. However as someone with stupid knife ocd one thing that holds me back from the bushfinger is the off centered middle screw... to the point i wondered how hard custom scales would be to make. I also am not sure i want to pay $350 for a 6" blade when i have a 5.0 on the way... They are both fantastic knives and maybe I'll be able to get them down the road.

As for other brands, I have recently bought into another popular knife brand, and have a custom in the works from a maker in spain (very excited)I think there is always room for other designs and makers, but i will admit i think the best bang for your buck right now is survive! knives. I also really enjoy supporting them as a company as I would love to start my own knife company, and in lieu of that, why not support someone who IS doing it!! They also have always been more than helpful especially considering their staff of 2 (3now?) They are by far the brand i support the most, own the most of, and the forum i am most active in.

I love reading all these different perspectives. Thanks, guys!

If you had any doubt, I fully support a diverse knife brand collection. If you noticed my sig line then you know i love beckers. Now that im done with my giant S! rant, I will say that there are a few Beckers that I still have a need to own and experience. I just can't get myself do jump into a new company right now. Back in the day I was interested in a few well known companies and I found that some weren't quite what I thought they'd be and others were exactly what I wanted. Having experiences with different brands helped me recognize what I prefer in a knife. Guy's designs and materials alone make his knives very desirable to me. Since I've ended up following and really getting to know Guy's philosophy and his company, it adds another level of my appreciation and desire for his products. If I was as invested in other companies, I wouldn't have had a reason to start this thread.

Beckers got me into real knives and everything on the Internet seemed to point me towards Beckers and ESEE. At that early stage I thought $200 for a knife was insane. Once I learned more about super steels and hand made knives I looked back at SURVIVE! and was able to realize what a true value GSO's are.

Well said needle, for me it was benchmade that got me into "better knives". I still edc a customized ritter mini grip, but that led me to BF and then to survive. It's funny how we all end up in the same place from different beginnings

It seems like Texas_toothpick and I have the same interests when it comes to other knives. I can't wait till the Esee Camplore RB3 and DC6 are released. I also want to try the Izula folder. I don't think I've gone 20 years without having some sort of Spyderco in my collection. They're just a classic tough folder that won't let you down unless you treat them wrong. For traditional folders you can't go wrong with a GEC or a Case.
I really want to try out a CRK and a Strider just to see what the fuss is all about. I'm leaning more towards a Strider though because I won't be super bummed if I scratch one up and their pivot seems like it can take damn near anything.

Good thread! For fixed blades I'm very loyal to S!K, but of course there are a few other knives I want...

Especially that FB Camp Knife! I almost pulled the trigger on one, but since I'm in Europe the taxes deterred me. But I'm sure I'll do it some day.

Also I've been eying the Bradford Guardian 3, and the Smith & Sons Brave.

In terms of folders though, I've got a problem. So I'm looking forward to when Guy releases one and I can sell the rest. ;)

Also I've been eying the Bradford Guardian 3, and the Smith & Sons Brave.

I forgot about Smith&Sons!
I do want to check out the Brave and the Cherokee!
TM Hunt is another company I want to check out.

I forgot about Smith&Sons!
I do want to check out the Brave and the Cherokee!

Yep! But after being spoiled by Guys premium steels, I'm a little out of by "plain old D2" for those prices... But they do look sweet...

A lot of good discussion here. Keep at it.

I've had the idea of starting a *WARNING HIDE YOUR WOMEN AND CHILDREN DANGER OFF TOPIC* thread focused on what other brands and models SURVIVORS! enjoy other than our beloved S!.

A lot of good discussion here. Keep at it.

I've had the idea of starting a *WARNING HIDE YOUR WOMEN AND CHILDREN DANGER OFF TOPIC* thread focused on what other brands and models SURVIVORS! enjoy other than our beloved S!.

I tried that with a folders thread and felt that it was appropriate because S!K doesnt make a folder yet. Well surprisingly, I got a few messages from other members who were very irritted that I dare start a non survive thread. I think it is totally ok, but I am just me, so who knows.

I tried that with a folders thread and felt that it was appropriate because S!K doesnt make a folder yet. Well surprisingly, I got a few messages from other members who were very irritted that I dare start a non survive thread. I think it is totally ok, but I am just me, so who knows.

Even though I wasn't able to give much valuable input to that thread I was sad to see it get locked. Did you receive several messages or just one complaining about it???

In my opinion if we bring up something not directly S! related, but directed towards our specific crowd, that is legit. Maybe only if community building is the only result.

I do realize I don't speak for everyone and I'll gladly go with the majority.

Somewhat bazzar saying the quality is unsurpased by anyone but only owning one brand? I only drive fords and own fords and they make the best cars hands down.
Cutting a blank out with a band saw, putting it on a milling machine and the hand grinding it you cannot charge the same as waterjetted blanks.
Production vs production absloutly. Production vs custom as far as price not the same.

Last edited:

That would've been a good thread in my opinion because I usually always have a folder with me when I carry my 4.1. Oh well I guess.

Somewhat bazzar saying the quality is unsurpased by anyone but only owning one brand? I only drive fords and own fords and they make the best cars hands down.
Cutting a blank out with a band saw, putting it on a milling machine and the hand grinding it you cannot charge the same as waterjetted blanks.
Production vs production absloutly. Production vs custom as far as price not the same.

You saw my disclaimer at the start of my post, right? :cool:
I definitely get that the different processes between production and custom are way different and I accept that. I mentioned that and meant more that I just can't justify a custom product and that really isn't my personal preference. That could easily change if a rich, extended family member puts me in his will.

Riz, since you started the folder thread, could you unlock it? I'd even post some pics if you do!

Last edited:
You saw my disclaimer at the start of my post, right? :cool:
I definitely get that the different processes between production and custom are way different and I accept that. I mentioned that and meant more that I just can't justify a custom product and that really isn't my personal preference. That could easily change if a rich, extended family member puts me in his will.

Riz, since you started the folder thread, could you unlock it? I'd even post some pics if you do!

I even bought custom scales for my EDC folder to more closely match my survive! knives! so its semi relevant on-topic conversation!

Back