1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Will Moon "Spindle" lock?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by insta9ves, Jan 10, 2019.

1. HappyDaddy

HappyDaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Nearly all patents are "improvement" patents. Moon can't just re-patent the Axis Lock (obviously), but he certainly could patent a design that starts with an Axis lock and changes it in ways that are "new" and "non-obvious" (those are terms of art in patent law and have specific meanings). It's entirely possible that he could patent his improved version of the Axis lock.

2. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    If your not good at your job and don't improve you get fired. He doesn't understand he's been fired. He keeps trying cause he can see how much money he can make by selling the junk crap he makes. Cause people are attracted to his style.

In of the guys who was showing off his stuff was having an issue with the knives. He sent it back but will never knew how to fix it so never did. This guy didn't know what to do but sell it or just let it sit in his collection and he doesn't want to publicly say his issues cause he's not that type of guy.

That seems to happen. Alot.

Its terrible that he's so bad yet filed a patent for something he really didn't do. Why even file it. Because he's so bad to begin with. It's a sad situation for sure.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  3. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    I believe Benchmade can and is applying for patents on the anthem axis lock as well as the button axis lock on the assited Benchmade 665.

Charlie Mike likes this.
  4. It’s the “new” (“novel” to use the patent term) and the “non-obvious” parts he may have a problem with. If the only change is the type of spring used, that may not be novel and non-obvious enough to get a patent.

That aside, I’ve looked around the USPTO application database, and can’t find anything with his name on it within the last few years. You can’t start a patent application once you market an invention, the application has to be the first public disclosure or you can’t get a patent. He put a video on YouTube a few months ago, so there should be a patent application pending. Either that, or he’s full of shit and it’s just marketing nonsense.

Lance Leon and WValtakis like this.
  5. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar Platinum Member

Sep 1, 2016
    With a 12 month grace period. So he should still be OK.

EDIT: Presuming he is going to file exclusively in the US. Other countries have different grace periods or none at all.

6. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar Platinum Member

Sep 1, 2016
    I first heard of him a few weeks ago when I first heard about the Spindle lock. I'm a huge lock nerd and got very interested in buying one myself but I always search up makers in the GBU here before I buy from them.

That was, as everyone would expect, eye-opening. Now he's off my list.

As for your question, I don't think there's anything wrong with applying for a patent if you think you qualify. :/

Night Rider and Lapedog like this.
  7. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000

Nostimos, BigKurtHaze, Mo2 and 2 others like this.
  8. IIRC, most international jurisdictions where you’d want to patent require at least preliminary applications before disclosure, or you lose your ability to get a patent.

And who knows when his first public disclosure actually was; I doubt it was the YouTube video.

Charlie Mike likes this.
  9. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    One of his many previous names on the forum was frisky dingo. I forget the others. But he's been doing this crap since what 2009? 10 years of not being able to make a knife properly.

10. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    Ive seen knives in fishbowls in gas stations for 2.99 with better fit than this [​IMG]

Livefreeordie92, Charlie Mike and Mo2 like this.
  11. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    No one cares about a Will Moon knife around these parts, patent or not.

12. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    +1 thank you, better than i can say it. I know how the search function work, i also appreciate the community here who's able to help with constructive info, instead of wasting internet byte playing internet tough guy.

13. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    So everyone who dislikes Will Moon and his ethics are internet tough guys? Gotcha.

MarriedTheMedic and Mo2 like this.
  14. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek

May 19, 2007
    I think another factor that changes depending on country is how prior art is viewed. Say the lock would be patentable on the face of it, but the improvement comes from a similar but distinct system, then it could be argued that the patent is invalid. For example if there is an arc-lock from SOG that uses coil springs, it could all be seen as similar enough to count as prior art. Although this is all just speculation on my part. Getting and then defending a patent is a higher bar than many realize, much to the dismay of many home inventors that fall victim to predatory manufacturers. I'm going to guess that this is a case of salesmanship rather than innovation. But I could be wrong.

15. Night Rider

Night Rider Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 16, 2018
    His changes to the Axis lock looks valid for a patent to me and honestly it looks like an actual improvement over the Omega springs but after searching his name on the interweb this was the first vid that popped up. I hope he has a second job lined up because according to opinions on the BF and the World Wide Web he's a full fledged D-Bag so it's a hard pass on anything he puts his name on for me.

Charlie Mike, Mo2 and WValtakis like this.
  16. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Ummm out of context perhaps? "Tough guys" refer to the one who tells me to learn to use search function since i've been on this forums for 12 years.
    Im the OP and im certainly not a fan of his ethic as i mentioned.

17. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    If you mention Will Moon around here, EVERYTHING is in context.

18. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    You folks need to address the question the OP asked instead of dissecting the OP.
    There's a couple of you on the verge of earning some points.

Lance Leon and insta9ves like this.
  19. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    This is actually a valid concern that kinda led to my initial question. If his patent got approved, depending on the scope of the patent, it technically mean he’s potentially legally allowed to go after anyone who’s making axis lock with coil spring rather than the omega spring as this seem to be the only (major) modification he made to the lock. In an extreme case, if the scope of the patent includes the lockbar and other parts, does it mean any maker using some form of axis lock will infringe his patent?

20. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Side note, the other modification he made on the axis lock is to change the lockbar from one piece construction into screwed-together construction so that the lockbar can be removed without disassembling the knife to change the spring.
    IMO that’s not really an improvement over the axis lockbar that’s turned from a solid piece of steel, because instead of a one piece construction, he new turned it into a 3 piece construction with screws on both end potentially coming loose due to repeated use. More parts means higher probability of failure.