Will there be a 2017 forum knife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally would like to see a mock-up of the TCs in each color of available micarta. I've seen some good Photoshop skills on here when it comes to knives that don't yet exist. I know this is probably time consuming though, so I wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting to do it.

To me, some colors/materials look better on some knives moreso than others.

This is a splendid idea.:thumbsup:

More pictures of your (everyone's) finished knives would help. Maybe a photoshop "pro" could put the handles side by side.
I agree with the "old-timey" feel of the canvas being kinda cool. I don't know how rough "brushed" would be. I suspect it would be near to a polish - I'll ask.
I doubt we could do a poll where you could change your vote :rolleyes:!
I wonder if I can even create a poll in our new BF format:eek:?? I'm struggling along with it. . . . .

waynorth waynorth , I all-but-created a poll as a new thread for handle choices (unobtanium, meteor fossil, jigged cardboard...) as a test. Didn't hit publish to avoid confusion, but it seemed like I could make it work. Happy to help out if you like.

Shown before, but in a 29 page thread people forget things....

IMG_3943.jpg

Another point, I've seen really nice pictures of the NF Barlow in Nat.Micarta that show how it would look on a larger frame. I don't have one in that material, only bone but somebody must have images galore.....

Will there be the chance to vote on blade steel type (stainless vs carbon)?

For what it is worth I like the idea of natural canvas micarta for covers. The sheepsfoot blade should be pretty unique.

Since we're talking photoshop mock-ups, I'll post this one again to bring it up to the front page. This was using the Bone Canvas Micarta from the most recent run of #77 Barlows with a #15 Barlow TC bolster and a nail nick sheepsfoot taken from a #15 Crown Lifter. Not sure if a Micarta that light is in the running, I know the "natural" is generally a darker tan color than that.

E5FABFAC-499D-4117-8C46-6838EB0E1E0E.jpg

I'll try putting something together with some of the other Micartas, but I'm far from a pro, and that one was easy-ish to Frankenstein because I had photos of three similar shaped knives taken from the same angle in almost the same light.

Anyone else with more photoshop talent than I have is, of course, welcome to use that photo as a starting point, as well (it at least has the bolster and blade configuration we're talking about.)

These pics are great everyone, I'm liking the natural so far. Can't wait till the poll thread now!

Since we're talking photoshop mock-ups, I'll post this one again to bring it up to the front page. This was using the Bone Canvas Micarta from the most recent run of #77 Barlows with a #15 Barlow TC bolster and a nail nick sheepsfoot taken from a #15 Crown Lifter. Not sure if a Micarta that light is in the running, I know the "natural" is generally a darker tan color than that.

E5FABFAC-499D-4117-8C46-6838EB0E1E0E.jpg

I'll try putting something together with some of the other Micartas, but I'm far from a pro, and that one was easy-ish to Frankenstein because I had photos of three similar shaped knives taken from the same angle in almost the same light.

Anyone else with more photoshop talent than I have is, of course, welcome to use that photo as a starting point, as well (it at least has the bolster and blade configuration we're talking about.)

Nice to have a visual, thank you. I personally think the TC bolster lends itself to making any knife, in any color, look pretty spectacular. I know there is a lot of love for natural canvas micarta, not just here but in regards to other knives as well but it is nice knowing that regardless of the color/texture, it is going to be one sharp looking knife (no pun intended). I even think that red linen would look particularly striking. But that is coming from someone who drools over the red soupbone Barlows every time someone posts a pic of it....

Definitely looking forward to the poll and what ultimately gets decided. I hope to get one regardless of the outcome.

Natural Canvas micarta is nice because it develops a patina like its getting a tan. It really becomes yours with time. I love how my 85, form the recent run, in natural canvas micarta slowly gets more reddish brown with time and handling. I have a 77 in the bone linen micarta and I see no appreciable change. I think that this is helped along by how its finished. I prefer a more matte , as opposed to polished, finish as on the 85, as this not only offers grip and allows you to better see the cordage that makes up the material, but, lends itself to developing patina. My vote would be for natural linen micarta... just my $.02

Black wool micarta sounds great. If it's a bit more I doubt anyone (buyers) would mind.. seems like a fair amount of the people on BF would consider a $130 knife to be inexpensive. Just my guess, but seeing people buy several of one run of GEC knives at a shot, or how many of us own collectibles, modern folders $400 plus.. it's always struck me a bit odd how "keeping costs down" always seems to pop up in the forum knife threads when we are talking about a $100 dollar knife. If you're talking about keeping costs down for the folks organizing then I completely understand that. Seems like a missed opportunity to go with standard fare natural canvas or OD green linen on a TC.

Last edited:
Nice Frankenstein!
What is that handle called?

That was "Bone Canvas Micarta" from Mike's pinchable clip run of #77 Barlows. Similar in color to (although different texture than) the Muslin Micarta they did on the #13s.

I have a bunch of GEC's done in natural canvas micarta. It seems there have been two distinct shades that have been used. One is a dark brown, and the other is of a more honey colored variety. I love them both. I can take pictures of a few others, if people like. I have a #15 navy knife and a fixed blade as well, just off the top of my head.

NhVgrmrh.jpg

Hhav380h.jpg

I think the Barlow will look terrific with the natural canvas micarta! Looking forward to the poll:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back