Will there be a 2017 forum knife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone mentioned the Burlap Micarta as seen on the recent Northwoods Hawthorne jacks? These just came out with the recent 48's and I think this is the first time GEC has used it. It has more depth and character within the resin than anything other Micarta I have seen from GEC. Also it looks very compatible with a traditional knife.

If you haven't seen it, check out page 815 of the "What are you carrying today" thread.

http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/...ya-totin-today.547127/page-4815#post-17096603

Last edited:
I'm kinda conflicted. I generally prefer canvas to linen but I'm a sucker for red. Sure would like to see a red canvas micarta but don't believe I ever have.

I agree. If we go with a bright color, linen is good. If it's a natural or muted color, then a bold texture is preferable.

Has anyone mentioned the Burlap Micarta as seen on the recent Northwoods Hawthorne jacks? These just came out with the recent 48's and I think this is the first time GEC has used it. It has more depth and character within the resin than anything other Micarta I have seen from GEC. Also it looks very compatible with a traditional knife.

If you haven't seen it, check out page 815 of the "What are you carrying today" thread.

http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/...ya-totin-today.547127/page-4815#post-17096603

I believe that KSF supplied that particular burlap to GEC for use. I don't believe it was from GEC stock.

I agree. If we go with a bright color, linen is good.

Red linen micarta can look very nice. Here is a SAK that I redid in red linen micarta, many moons ago.

micsak3.jpg

micsak4.jpg

I believe that KSF supplied that particular burlap to GEC for use. I don't believe it was from GEC stock.
Maybe Charlie would be willing to ask KSF for another batch? It would make the forum knife a little more unique compared to the "off-the-shelf" GEC micartas. Below is an excellent picture that shows some of the depth that is possible with micarta.

33296811443_e388f61245_c_zps0iffc0h1.jpg

Last edited:
Just thinking out loud, but black or antique white paper micarta would look good as well.

Those all look good!! I am going to be checking in frequently in search of the poll:)

Are the handle materials being offered based on what GEC has in stock currently? In the past, GEC has used both black canvas micarta and maroon linen micarta, both of which are very nice IMO.

I don't think we want "off the shelf" do we?
I know I'd prefer something original which pretty much rules out paper micarta-that and the fact it looks like off white plastic and is a bit boring.
Black micarta has been done by GEC too.
I'm liking red and canvas micarta-a classy dark red .

Just want to remark, that the Bone Micarta as seen on NF Barlows and more recently, the 13 run as Muslin Micarta could be an 'acquired taste' some people did not like the black spots and marks that this material will pick up on finishing. Others though it fine but it seemed divisive.

IMG_4479.jpg

I liked it but it is a material that will soak up stuff and develop character. The Collector Minded might not care for it much though....

Thanks, Will

the thing i have trouble with is,i use my knives and just sweating turns the natural micarta a dark color thats not appealing,i got an 85 awhile back in natural and it turned really quick,sent it to a highly recomended modder on the service page,he recomended mammouth after paying for that ,then he sent a bill,after paying him for his services,i got the knife back,the cracks in the mammouth around the pins looked bad enough,but the blade play was another story,any way i have had some bad dealings with natural micarta,as far as the knife i have a badman fixing the problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back