Will there be a 2017 forum knife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is hard to make sharp edges on cloth-based micarta, so I am sure they will roll over the "corners".

Outstanding work Rookie82 Rookie82 ! waynorth waynorth , thank you for plunging into the breach once more. I've abstained from the legendary TC this far but this could be knife to change all that.

As for color, if we're sticking to the readily available and realistic options, I'll vote for RED. Red is such a bold and classic color for a pocket knife. You can wish all you want for a green and tan herringbone micarta but at the end of the day, you all know you won't turn down a nice solid red knife.

Edit: more pics = more better
RIxMBlu.jpg
y3s6LL4.jpg

Outstanding work Rookie82 Rookie82 ! waynorth waynorth , thank you for plunging into the breach once more. I've abstained from the legendary TC this far but this could be knife to change all that.

As for color, if we're sticking to the readily available and realistic options, I'll vote for RED. Red is such a bold and classic color for a pocket knife. You can wish all you want for a green and tan herringbone micarta but at the end of the day, you all know you won't turn down a nice solid red knife.

Edit: more pics = more better
RIxMBlu.jpg
y3s6LL4.jpg

When I heard "Red Linen", the KSF pics of the Beagle with that cover is what immediately sprung to mind. I kick myself for not picking it up when they were available.

So, yeah.....I'm a votin' for the red. A cover I don't have, but still want. Not to mention I have never had a TC....and still want. Credit card number 54.....doh! Not time for that yet.

Thanks all for the kind words. I wanted to point out that the image I made is a true cobbled together photoshop mock-up, splicing together 6 different pictures off the internet. The knife was originally a 2 blade barlow, which I deleted the pen blade off of. And the micarta images were just the best examples I could find, not necessarily off of GEC knives though. And to be clear, I'm not a GEC collector, so the numbers on the blade tang are gibberish to me. :) So please ignore that as well.

Also, I really was thinking red linen was my favorite option until I saw them together, but now I think the OD canvas has the nicest look to it.

I like the red -- but I prefer canvas to linen......
(burlap is even better, but I am aware it changes the price point, so I'm not making that a request)
I really like the looks of the OD when it's new, but as others have shown, micarta darkens with use and pretty soon it would be a murky, not-quite-black color.

I think it is hard to make sharp edges on cloth-based micarta, so I am sure they will roll over the "corners".
Thank you for the clarification Charlie!

I must admit that my tastes in cover materials for traditionals are pretty simple/boring at best; give me Ebony Wood any day of the week! However, in keeping with the micarta suggestions so far, my vote(s) then would have to go to: Black Paper, Black Canvas or Black Linen. (in that order)
Honestly though, I'm down for whatever is finally decided, but still happy to throw in my $0.02.

We can continue to discuss which colors we like best, but isn't that all going to be in a poll thread soon?

Will the ordering process for this Forum knife be any different than in past years? Even with a higher number being made, I wouldn't be surprised to see demand to exceed production.

I will put together a poll soon!
The ordering system we used last time worked well, so I think we should stick with it.
Barry is on holiday, so I have to wait to confirm that he is ready for that!:eek:

This may be logistically impossible or even unnecessary but is there anyway to give gold or higher members a couple of days to place an order (max 2) to ensure paying members get first crack?

They all look great. I don't have a Barlow and they're on my hit list, I'm very interested.
I'm new around here, but I've read this forum a lot over the last year. I would be more than happy with Gold Members etc. getting first crack at these.

I suggested this before but wasn't sure it existed. Here I present Navy Burlap Micarta;

Just something different that has not been on any other of Charlie's SFO's.

From those pics . . . OD Canvas > Natural Canvas > Red Linen

But I am wondering if Red canvas is a possibility, because I think that would be my favorite of all.

I echo the sentiments of several others regarding a scenario where the gold/platinum members maybe get something similar to limited a pre-early reserve. Totally selfish I know.

This may be logistically impossible or even unnecessary but is there anyway to give gold or higher members a couple of days to place an order (max 2) to ensure paying members get first crack?

I echo the sentiments of several others regarding a scenario where the gold/platinum members maybe get something similar to limited a pre-early reserve. Totally selfish I know.

I've seen it all now. The forum knife has been a decade long tradition, but this is the first time I remember someone asking for preferential treatment.

To clarify, I didn't ask for anything. Simply echoed the sentiment of other commenters. I also admitted it was selfish... therefore not in keeping with the spirit of the forum knife. It was just a comment, didn't mean to steer this discussion off course. Mea Culpa.

Last edited:
I've seen it all now. The forum knife has been a decade long tradition, but this is the first time I remember someone asking for preferential treatment.

I want a realistic chance at getting the forum Barlow without paying a secondary market price. I think it's a fair question but I would understand if it's not practical or even possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back