Wilson Custom Knives-M7 Hollow Handle Survival Knife

Sam Wilson

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I recently finished up a prototype of a new model, and wanted to post it up here along with the specs get some feedback from everybody. This is by no means a new design, and the pattern is recognizable to anyone familiar with hollow handle knives. But I have had a lot of requests for this particular style of HH knife, and instead of just copying it, I wanted to put my spin on it. I look forward to feedback, so thank you in advance.

This is the M7 (Model 7), it will be available with a 7.5" or 9" blade. This one has a 7.5" blade, and is made out of .220" thick S35VN. I will be making future models out of .250" thick 440C or the optional CPM 154. Sawteeth are optional, the cost is the same either way. The sawteeth are functional, obviously no sawback is going to cut as well as a regular saw, this simply gives one more options in an emergency, and looks "more tough."

105_2615_zpsdd0wfxrb.jpg

These are all flat ground, down to a fine edge so they cut well without compromising strength. I leave the false edge on the thicker side unless requested differently, as these are more for wilderness use as opposed to combat. I offer them in satin or blasted finish. They will also feature an asymmetrical guard with dual lashing holes, that have all the corners and edges beveled and buffed for comfort. Steel hollow handle obviously, and the threaded ferro rod and rollup pouch are included standard.

105_2594_zpsxmrdre4a.jpg

105_2592_zpseyidkfqx.jpg

105_2591_zpsn4ciuoxf.jpg

The standard sheath will be as pictured, only will come standard with no pouch. Pouch and tin, as well as the M.O.A. System are optional upgrades.

105_2598_zpstcfgbtub.jpg

I offer black or green cord wrap, and black or the brown weathered look for the sheath. I also do custom options, as well. I will put some pics in, and would appreciate any feedback.

105_2607_zpswgxvu9jj.jpg

105_2587_zpsqj1r80kx.jpg

Thank you,
Sam Wilson

Sam,

You knocked this one out of the park. Love the blade profile and small guard. Does this one have the reinforced buttcap?

Again, great job! :thumbup:

Tom

Sam, I hate to sound like a broken record, but your work keeps getting better and better!

:thumbup:

I like it, I like the blade width, the plunge line and the clip point and I really like the guard. You've gotten better it seems with every knife. How did you like working with s35vn?

Very nice!! Well done, and nice array of options to "make it your own".

All of it, knife, sheath - all look top-notch!

best

mqqn

thanks for making those 'sawteeth' optional. :D :thumbup:

Thanks Mannlicher, I know they're not everyone's cup of tea. What surprised me is that has been hands down the number one requested option since I have started doing HH knives.

Beautiful....

Thank you!

Sam,

You knocked this one out of the park. Love the blade profile and small guard. Does this one have the reinforced buttcap?

Again, great job! :thumbup:

Tom

Tom,

Thank you very much. I was very pleased myself, and the guard was one of my favorite parts. With all the edges beveled and buffed, it just melts in your hand when you choke up. I'm slowly learning...

As for the buttcap, yes it did. I am digging up pictures on it right now. I will put some in here, and then maybe broach it for discussion in the HH thread and see what everybody thinks. Thank you again.

Sam, I hate to sound like a broken record, but your work keeps getting better and better!

:thumbup:

I don't have a problem with broken records when they sound like that bowie, lol. :D

I like it, I like the blade width, the plunge line and the clip point and I really like the guard. You've gotten better it seems with every knife. How did you like working with s35vn?

Thank you Dave. Still got a long way to go, but getting there. There's so much to learn. As far as the S35VN, it may just be in my head, but it seemed very responsive to grinding and finished out very beautifully. I didn't have a chance to dial in the camera and get a good pic of the satin finish, but it was very even and easy to attain. It also sharpened and took an edge very readily, which surprised me. Pleasantly.

Very nice!! Well done, and nice array of options to "make it your own".

All of it, knife, sheath - all look top-notch!

best

mqqn

Thank you, mqqn. I've got more pics of some of the options on this one. It came fully loaded, and was quite the package. I will get them on soon.

Very cool work my brother!

Thank you, Padad. Much appreciated.

Sam :thumbup:

This is the upgraded buttcap that TAH was mentioning. It is something I just finished working on, and the one pictured went on a different knife. For those that like to hammer/pound with the buttcap on their hollow handle knife, if they have an aluminum buttcap (which several makers, including myself, use), there is a good chance that it will get scratched and gouged pretty heavily if they hit rocks or other hard objects.

I prefer aluminum over steel and brass, as it's much lighter. I don't even mind scratches, as that's what happens to users. But some may not care for deep gouges or divots taken out of their buttcap. So I took a piece of 440C stainless and attached it to the buttcap via epoxy and a SS pin. The plate is also heat treated, so it will be exceptionally durable and tough for whatever use it may encounter.

Again, obviously not something that everyone needs or wants, but it is now an option that is available, and much lighter than an all-steel buttcap. Somebody may have done this before, and it wouldn't surprise me if they have, but if so I am unaware of it. Let me know what you guys think. I will also put it in the HH thread at some point, as that thread will be around long after this one has sunk deep into the archives.

105_2562_zpsgedryp1z.jpg

105_2564_zpsfk0qyhxc.jpg

Sam :thumbup:

That's a great looking knife design. Some people have a disdain for hollow handle knives, but when made properly, they have a very useful purpose. What's the wall thickness on the hollow handle, not including the cord wrap?

That's a great looking knife design. Some people have a disdain for hollow handle knives, but when made properly, they have a very useful purpose. What's the wall thickness on the hollow handle, not including the cord wrap?

Thank you, Mossyhorn. I agree with you, even if I am somewhat biased :cool:. The handle is made from 1" OD tubing, and the wall thickness is a little under 1/8" I believe. I will have to double check to be sure.

Unfortunately, I see a BIG problem with the buttcap. You've made it too pretty to use. :p

Fantastic work, Sam! I am impressed. :)

Thank you, Tom :D. Unfortunately it's prettier than I am. But that ain't saying much :eek:.

That is the very reason so many knife makers have gone to using s35vn its easy of work and sharpening. Then its tough and holds a great edge too, better than s30v and 154 as well. Which is one of the reasons I like it a lot. I'd love to see you do one in Elmax too its even tougher and holds and edge longer in my experience.

I will be doing some mental comparisons the next time I am grinding, and see where it leads. I still like CPM 154 an awful lot. (I still like 440C a lot too, but we'll leave that one alone :D) As far as the Elmax, I find the fact that it is stainless intriguing, particularly living here in the PNW. I have just lost most of my fondness for carbon steel out here, lol. I will get around to working with it at some point. I am speaking with a customer who wants an M7 in CPM 3V, normally not a steel I use. But I have heard many great things about it, also. I need to find another maker that I can buy a piece off of, as I don't want to buy a whole bar for just one knife. I look forward to working with it, though.

WOW!!!

I'm not a HH fan, but this is truly spectacular work. Really outstanding.

It's good to see you've made the saw-tooth spine an option (even though it's been your most requested option).

Even your leather work is excellent.

Masterfully done all around!!!

This is gorgeous. I'm looking forward to your testing. I'll have to save up for one!

Back