Wilson Folder Recommendation

I've have enjoyed Wilson Combat's 1911s and ARs for some time and looking to add a Wilson Combat tactical folder as my daily carry. I'm bounching between the Eagle and the Star-Tac. I've always been a big fan of Les George and would like to add one of his Rockeye's to my collection. Chris Reeve's reputation goes without saying.

I'm never had a flipper, but expect the learning curve isn't real steep. Knives will be a general utility knife and serve as a backup for field dressing duties

Anyone have experience with one or both knives that can offer an evaluation? Interested in edge and tip durability, ease of sharpening.

Being a Marine, my loyalties naturally lean more towards the Eagle given Les George's lineage but not ready to discount the Star-Tac either.

I'd go with the Star-Tac (Umnumzaan). Main reason: it's more likely to retain its value vs the Eagle over time. Keep in mind although it's a Les George design, the Eagle is made by 3rd party, without George's logo on the knife; whereas the Star-Tac is made in Idaho, by Chris Reeve's staff, and has both CRK and Wilson Combat logos.

In terms of steel, CTS XHP (Eagle) and S35VN (Star-tac) are both high quality stuff, personally I find CTS XHP just a tad more difficult to sharpen but not too bad. Both should be more than adequate for the tasks you stated above due to good edge retention. As for tip strength, both are pretty average so go with the blade shape you like better.

Have fun with your purchase decision and happy 4th.

Thanks for the recommendation. Appreciate the distinction. Wasn't paying attention to who was crafting the knife and assumed Les George had a piece in it. Good point that his name isn't on the knife.

WCR - Can you comment on the role Les George had in the Eagle. Just the design or additional involvement?

Doesn't take away from the quality of the knife but interesting his name isn't on it.

Just pinged Wilson Combat to see how much involvement Les George had on the Eagle. Anthony stated that Les George does manufacture the Eagle and WC decided to leave his "mark" off the blade to keep it uncluttered.

Connected with Les George and he confirmed the points above.

Last edited:
Ended up going the Eagle route given the Marine connection. It will fill the need until Les George starts taking orders again and I can go after the Rockeye (unless WC and Les George collaborate on another Custom Alliance piece)

Just bought the StarTac and I love it. Haven't owned WC 1911 yet but will soon. Can't go wrong with CRK and WC.

i've owned the star tac before. i ended up selling it because i have a 'regular' CRK umnum. bought an eagle bout 10 days ago off another member on the forum. i am glad i did. it feels more 'special' than the star tac. maybe its because i already have an umnum so getting a star tac just doesnt make sense since its basically the same knife. the eagle feels completely different. the knife is ultra slim and disappears in the pocket. i am really happy with it. not often you find a full Ti knife with such a large blade that can still be slim and light weight. also the stone wash finish on the handles and blade really hide wear marks. i've used my knife over the last few days and there's not a single visible mark on it. regular CRK finishes usually get a mark or two on the handles within a week.

hope youre happy with your choice too!

i've owned the star tac before. i ended up selling it because i have a 'regular' CRK umnum. bought an eagle bout 10 days ago off another member on the forum. i am glad i did. it feels more 'special' than the star tac. maybe its because i already have an umnum so getting a star tac just doesnt make sense since its basically the same knife. the eagle feels completely different. the knife is ultra slim and disappears in the pocket. i am really happy with it. not often you find a full Ti knife with such a large blade that can still be slim and light weight. also the stone wash finish on the handles and blade really hide wear marks. i've used my knife over the last few days and there's not a single visible mark on it. regular CRK finishes usually get a mark or two on the handles within a week.

hope youre happy with your choice too!

+2. That's what I did.

Back