Winkler country.

David Nowlin

Gold Member
Since up rooting from Florida after 35 years and moving to North Carolina i have discovered what the word/name Winkler is all about? Well when it comes to knives that is.
Winkler this, Winkler that, heck we almost bought a house on Fox Winkler Road.
So on one afternoon we drive to Boone and while browsing in a Mast General Store i come upon some Winkler Knives.
I examine them closely. Handle them feeling the balance (whatever that means)
Check the craftsmanship and come to the conclusion that me likes it and i need to take one of these home.
~Wife had another idea.~
But i will get one some day! Lol
*Looking at the Blue ridge hunter with or without sculpted maple scales.
Price is same as on website but store offers a 15% veterans discount. Any thoughts on these knives is appreciated.
DN

They're cool knifes. Really like mine. Daniel Winkler has been on here in the past but haven't seen him log in for some time.

I have a belt knife and a hunter's axe. No complaints. Would buy again. Blade has a strange smokey smell that's very evocative.

I really like my Winkler knives ... I have the Hunting Knife ... the Blue Ridge Hunter and one of the Winkler/Knight colab Jager Knife ...

They take a real nice edge and hold it fairly well ... I will say I much prefer the plain maple or walnut wood handles over the sculpted ... I've never handled the tribal handles ...

the Hunting Knife when new ... similar to the Blue Ridge Hunter ... just slightly bigger and the tip is a bit different ...

2018-01-15 18.52.08.jpg

and the Jager when new ... a smaller knife but it will do anything you want except chopping wood ...

Winkler II Jager 2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments and nice pictures.
I could also opt for the SD 1 or 2 (not sure which one they had at the store) but anything bigger than the BR hunter is out for now.
At first i liked the sculpted for looks and additional grip but think the smooth maple is so comfortable in hand.
jj i noticed your sheaths have belt loops? The sheaths i saw had a pivotal tactical belt clip for vertical and horizontal carry.

Anyone know if they offer a factory tour?
Don’t know how big an operation they have. Really hope its still a small personal operation.

The were super small but the just recently increased size/added staff. Not sure about a tour but they do have a FB and IG feed if you want to check that.

Also I see I wrote knifes. Oopsie.

Thanks for the comments and nice pictures.
I could also opt for the SD 1 or 2 (not sure which one they had at the store) but anything bigger than the BR hunter is out for now.
At first i liked the sculpted for looks and additional grip but think the smooth maple is so comfortable in hand.
jj i noticed your sheaths have belt loops? The sheaths i saw had a pivotal tactical belt clip for vertical and horizontal carry.

The leather drop loops are from Sagewood Gear ... I would have to measure again to be sure ... but I believe the Hunting Knife took the Sagewood Gear medium drop belt loop ...

I can't remember for sure ... but I think the Jaeger Knife used the medium also ... but I love Sagewood Gear's belt loops and danglers ... I have them on most of my kydex sheaths ...

but if you look on their website it gives the measurements for the different size adapters ... and they sell one that doesn't have predrilled slots so you can fit it to your sheath if their sizes don't fit a specific sheath ... I have never used it all my kydex took one of their sizes ...

I'll see if I can find the thread that shows it ... but the leather covered kydex sheaths that Winklers use ... when I added the belt loop I used one of the thick rubber spacers between the layers at the top of the sheath so the knife was easier to draw ... adding the loop can make it pretty tight ... but if you slip the spacers that come with it in there it works great.

JJ i just finished reading the whole thread that you mentioned. Was great read.
Guy named Ron finkenbiener or something like that mentioned 25% discount to active and Veterans? Is that if bought through the factory? Info if anyone knows? Thanks
If you are active duty or a Veteran you can get a 25% discount. Fyi

Still looking for info on the Winkler Knife discount for veterans? Saw it mentioned in an old thread and wonder if its still available?
Thanks.

Update. Did some research. Talked to a lovely woman at Winkler and confirmed the 25% discount for Active Military and Veterans.
8-12 weeks from order date at this time.
DN out

I had a service issue with Winkler over the winter on an older folder and really enjoyed dealing with Kaela. Really helpful customer service over there, even if they're in the middle of moving and just got 18" of snow.
The Winkler Woodsman that I have is great for what it is. The blade stock is thick (3/16"), but the 80CrV2 steel feels extremely strong, and takes a toothy edge. Excellent sheath, though in the original configuration the handle rode high above my belt, so I got a Sagewood Gear drop loop and set it up as suggested above and it's now even better.
Glad you found the information on the discount. Let us know what you decide if you place an order.
IMG_1722.jpg

Another fan here. I have a Belt Knife and the Case/Winkler Skinner which is the best feeling knife I've ever held.

I've looked at the Woodsman but haven't bought one yet at least ...

and I wasn't sure exactly how the Military discount worked but I know he does offer it as Rick Hinderer and a few others do also ...

Back