Winkler felt lined sheaths user experience

I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a Winkler Belt Knife as a Christmas present to myself.
I'm just curious about what everyone's thoughts were on the sheaths. It seems a bit odd to line the sheath with material that could trap moisture and keep it against the blade which is not the most corrosion resistant of steels.
If I went camping and it got soaked, it seems like I'd have to leave the blade unsheathed for a considerable amount of time before I could store the knife.
I'm mainly into folding knives and only have a couple of fixed blades, so I find sheaths a bit awkward, like with a folding knife if you cut stuff up that leaves gunk on the blade, you can fold the blade away and the gunk doesnt come into contact with the handle.
I've made the mistake of doing that with my Rockstead Chou, I managed to get some duct tape glue residue and also grit into the kydex sheath and it was a nightmare to get it clean again and not to mention the grit leaving a few scratches across the mirror polish part of the blade. Obviously this isnt as much of a issue with the finish on a Winkler but I saw another user post his review usign his knife to clean a fish up. Can imagine it would not be pleasant to have fish slime soaked into the felt lining.

Absorbent linings can trip grit that will scratch the blade, as well as moisture and gunk. I'd get another.

All sheaths have good and bad points. I generally prefer Kydex but even Kydex can trap dirt and moisture. Dirty Kydex can dull an edge. Lined Kydex is a silent draw. No snaps to open like a leather sheath, no metal on Kydex sound. Winkler's first best customers were SEAL Team 6 who like silence and take care of their kit between uses.

All sheaths have good and bad points. I generally prefer Kydex but even Kydex can trap dirt and moisture. Dirty Kydex can dull an edge. Lined Kydex is a silent draw. No snaps to open like a leather sheath, no metal on Kydex sound. Winkler's first best customers were SEAL Team 6 who like silence and take care of their kit between uses.
Yeah I’ve briefly read about the history of his knives. I do maintain my fixed blades in between uses. Apart from my Rockstead, I have a cold steel san mai kukri which is a beater for stuff round the garden and camping etc. The kydex sheath for that has a draining hole at the bottom of the sheath and it’s stainless and also a beater so dirt and stuff in the sheath doesn’t bother me too much. Easy to rinse and dry. It’s more like in between uses in a short space of time. For example needing to sheath the knife temporarily to free up both hands while doing something where you can’t exactly drop what you are doing and clean your knife to sheath it then carry on with whatever you are doing.

I own the Winkler Utility. My knife has a sharp corner right where the serrations start that will catch and tear out the lining if you aren't careful pulling the knife out of the sheath. I don't think that would be a problem on any of their other models. I also work in a very dusty environment so the lining isn't ideal for me. The knife and sheath are both very well made, though. I want to get a belt knife someday as well.

J7GGqxN.jpg

Unless it’s a water and air tight container just about any knife sheath will collect some water moisture. The best you can do is use a breathable type material to aid drying it out and remove as much moisture as you can. Sometimes I’ve used a wad of paper towels to jam in the sheath to draw moisture out before putting the knife back in and oiled if it’s carbon steel. If you are using an oil film or wax on the knife it should repell water for a time till you can dry everything out.

I've had a Winkler Belt knife for about 5 years and it's always stored in the sheath and there has never been a hint of rust. I used the little tube of Fireclean that it came with it and now I use whatever.

I wouldn't worry myself. If you're in the ocean with it then I think they now have some Kydex options also.

I own the Winkler Utility. My knife has a sharp corner right where the serrations start that will catch and tear out the lining if you aren't careful pulling the knife out of the sheath. I don't think that would be a problem on any of their other models. I also work in a very dusty environment so the lining isn't ideal for me. The knife and sheath are both very well made, though. I want to get a belt knife someday as well.

J7GGqxN.jpg
Sounds annoying. I’m mostly set on the belt knife because of the fairly unique/distinctive blade shape. A small part of me wants the field knife for the slightly longer blade. And another small part of me wants the drop point crusher, again for the extra length. But then I also want the jimping…I think I just want one of everything but sadly can only afford one.

Unless it’s a water and air tight container just about any knife sheath will collect some water moisture. The best you can do is use a breathable type material to aid drying it out and remove as much moisture as you can. Sometimes I’ve used a wad of paper towels to jam in the sheath to draw moisture out before putting the knife back in and oiled if it’s carbon steel. If you are using an oil film or wax on the knife it should repell water for a time till you can dry everything out.
I seal all my leather sheathes with SnowSeal, inside and out. Works very well at preventing moisture absorption.

I've never had any issues with the lined Winkler sheaths. I have carried them in all types of weather. A bit of preventive maintenance just wiping down the blade has worked well for me.

I've had a Pathfinder for a few years. Admittedly it has not gotten much use recently, but it has gone camping several times and seen moderate use. Definitely gotten the sheath wet.

You can tell where the sheath coverage starts, the finish is lighter on parts that come in contact. Otherwise, no issues. I wipe it down and have made sure the sheath is dry before storage, but that's about it.

I have had a few and the sheaths are great. You know, no matter what material you use they all have inherent good and bad points. I admire the fact that Mr. Winkler takes extra time to make a product that works for special operations and civilian alike.

I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a Winkler Belt Knife as a Christmas present to myself.
I'm just curious about what everyone's thoughts were on the sheaths. It seems a bit odd to line the sheath with material that could trap moisture and keep it against the blade which is not the most corrosion resistant of steels.
If I went camping and it got soaked, it seems like I'd have to leave the blade unsheathed for a considerable amount of time before I could store the knife.
I'm mainly into folding knives and only have a couple of fixed blades, so I find sheaths a bit awkward, like with a folding knife if you cut stuff up that leaves gunk on the blade, you can fold the blade away and the gunk doesnt come into contact with the handle.
I've made the mistake of doing that with my Rockstead Chou, I managed to get some duct tape glue residue and also grit into the kydex sheath and it was a nightmare to get it clean again and not to mention the grit leaving a few scratches across the mirror polish part of the blade. Obviously this isnt as much of a issue with the finish on a Winkler but I saw another user post his review usign his knife to clean a fish up. Can imagine it would not be pleasant to have fish slime soaked into the felt lining.

I own several Winklers and don't own any with a felt liner, the ones I own have a rubber type liner. I don't know how well it retains moisture compared to the typical kydex, but the material definitely doesn't appear to absorb moisture any more than any other rubber material do.

If there is any complaint I have with the Winkler sheath, it's that they are very thick. Especially the ones where he also wraps them in leather giving them a layer of rubber lining, a layer of kydex, and a layer of leather all wrapped around the knife. It makes the sheaths VERY sturdy and beefy, but it also adds a bunch of weight and thickness to them, not good for CC.

Last edited:
I've looked at that wax, good to hear positive reviews. I have used bucther board wax in the past, but may have to give that a try.
Direct recommendation from a Winkler employee, I've not been disappointed.

Preventive maintenance does wonders... my preferred choice.

View attachment 1704549
Nice, I'll have to look in to it. ...ok I just did before I clicked post. My next question was going to be what's a good food safe recommendation. But I see this ticks all the boxes.
Is that the Blue Ridge Hunter or Belt knife? I'm in the UK and heinnie have a 10% discount going until 23:59 boxing day. Will most likely pull the trigger tomorrow on the sculpted maple belt knife. £443.95 seems a lot compared to what they sell for in the states but by the time I pay for postage and VAT/Duty its actually not a lot in it.

Thanks for everyone comments!

If the knife hits the dirt - Wipe the blade before sheathing it, keep it dry, and wax / oil when not using. Winklers 80CRV2 is great. I’ve never seen rust on any of mine ( I do live in a dry environment though ). If you do manage to get some gravel, sand, dirt inside the sheath - those cans of computer cleaner are decent for blowing the sheath out.

DB7A76C2-60CC-4981-B035-2A06D00CC927.jpeg

Winkler Knives 👍👍

Last edited:
If the knife hits the dirt - Wipe the blade before sheathing it, keep it dry, and wax / oil when not using. Winklers 80CRV2 is great. I’ve never seen rust on any of mine ( I do live in a dry environment though ). If you do manage to get some gravel, sand, dirt inside the sheath - those cans of computer cleaner are decent for blowing the sheath out.

View attachment 1709589

Winkler Knives 👍👍
Good shout on the computer air dusters.

Back