Winkler felt lined sheaths user experience

I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a Winkler Belt Knife as a Christmas present to myself.
I'm just curious about what everyone's thoughts were on the sheaths. It seems a bit odd to line the sheath with material that could trap moisture and keep it against the blade which is not the most corrosion resistant of steels.
If I went camping and it got soaked, it seems like I'd have to leave the blade unsheathed for a considerable amount of time before I could store the knife.
I'm mainly into folding knives and only have a couple of fixed blades, so I find sheaths a bit awkward, like with a folding knife if you cut stuff up that leaves gunk on the blade, you can fold the blade away and the gunk doesnt come into contact with the handle.
I've made the mistake of doing that with my Rockstead Chou, I managed to get some duct tape glue residue and also grit into the kydex sheath and it was a nightmare to get it clean again and not to mention the grit leaving a few scratches across the mirror polish part of the blade. Obviously this isnt as much of a issue with the finish on a Winkler but I saw another user post his review usign his knife to clean a fish up. Can imagine it would not be pleasant to have fish slime soaked into the felt lining.

I line holsters with pigskin. But I decided not to line knife sheaths. I didn't really see a point to it.

Back