Photos Winkler II Recon and Belt Knife - Ongoing Review

All I can say is I F’N LOVE THIS KNIFE.

I used it today for more kitchen work. Then later I went outside and whittled a few sticks for my son. He wanted to make a bow and arrow. This thing is a wood working beast. Took it in and cleaned it up. Checked the edge on paper and found two sections of really small flat or rolls on the belly of the edge. Remember, I really reduced the edge thickness, so it doesnt surprise me that after working it out it had a small roll ot two. I did the following number of passes on a white sharpmaker stone. 12-10-7-5 then a quick stropping and the knife shaved again. Its developing a sick patina too. Check it out...

F221C2B1-DD6A-4BBE-952F-297A1ECAE2BC.jpeg 32E1ED42-E219-476C-B44F-E6EAEA064A3F.jpeg

Riz! Riz! what angle did you grind it down to?

It is a convex grind, so its not really a set angle. I thinned the shoulder down and then as it gets closer to the edge the angle gets steeper and steeper. Its definitely not as steep as it was before.

Just a quick follow up. The belt knife is still going strong. Havent had to sharpen it since the reprofile. Its performed a bunch of kitchen duty. Trout fishing season is about to kick off here in Maryland, so the next task on the list for the review is going to be cleaning and filletting some rainbows

Thanks - have you ever wished it was pointier? I've always looked at the design and felt I would like more point.

I have had the same thought. Winkler makes some models with more straight-ahead point, less belly and those have more appeal to me. All seem thick, though, and would need some reprofiling to be good slicey cutters. I have a couple of smaller Winklers and they are very well made, but all thick-blades.

Coincidentally I just got my first Winkler. Awesome stuff.

Am I correct in assuming the Caswell finish is more of an oxidation / patina than a coating? That would explain the smell and the rubbing off.

Thanks - have you ever wished it was pointier? I've always looked at the design and felt I would like more point.

From what I now understand the belt knife is designed for penetration stabbing downwards in an ice-pick grip, as if it were a tooth, so the belly doesnt do much against it. In fact it seems to have a stronger more stab capable tip than for example the Recon I have, which has a thinner more acute tip.

Daniel L Daniel L
So far I havent felt it wasnt pointy enough. It has done everything I have asked of it.

D DPC
I do believe that the caswell finish is some type of oxidized finish. You are correct about the unique smell. That smell is what made me first believe it was an oxidized finish.

D dogrunner
I wish that they would make a light version that was about .156 thick at its thickest point. Even though the belt knife is thick, its full flat grind does allow it to slice quite well. After the reprofile to a convex edge it cuts way better.

So I took the Winkler out for its first trout fishing trip. I caught two rainbows, a golden trout and a brown trout. Goldens are just a random genetic mutation of a rainbow. One rainbow was teeny and hooked in the lip so I threw him back. I used the winkler to trim line while fishing, didnt need it for anythig else. When I got home, I put the belt knife to work, filletting the fish. I know it seens odd to filet fish with such a thick knife, but if you use an elevated cutting board it becomes very easy. Obviously there is a bit of skill and practice required, but it can be done very easily. I used a section of 4x4 as my cutting board. The pics that follow contain some images of fish being filetted so you are warned. I will say, the winkler performed flawlessly.

653C8D26-3AB0-42D8-89AF-78A6ADF4DC58.jpeg
A shot next to the catch, for size comparison. These were small/medium rainbows, around 12 inches

CAF7EABD-E601-4471-B3BE-599E59A42A41.jpeg

649B9CE5-7EF5-49F7-93C0-98BBB6531559.jpeg
Lay the fish on an elevated cutting board and cut down to the spine. Start this cut just behind the gills

A548C724-0E36-4C00-89D2-43683840571A.jpeg

Roll the knife and angle it so the handle is closer to the table than the point of the knife

D0E5865C-F030-4561-B942-E5753215DA40.jpeg

Cut towards the tail. Try tonkeep the edge of the knife right along the dorsal line
D302BEC8-E810-4145-B9DB-A033E37FDEAB.jpeg

Stop right before the tail. Do not cut the fillet off of the fish yet.

D7776B74-10AA-4E69-BE0D-171F814392B6.jpeg

Flip the fillet back onto the board

9452F294-1F5B-4AAF-A389-745FD89168C3.jpeg

Cut at a very low angle from the tail back to the first cut, removjng the fillet from the skin.

292197AA-EE7D-44BB-BEFD-A237A18F9F8C.jpeg 0FC8298C-9546-4976-B96D-1B1141E94820.jpeg

Find any ribs that came off with your fillet and cut them off. The belly of the winkler was superb for this task.

Again... I love this knife. Its durable, rugged looking, comfortable in all grips and even though its thick, it can perform fine tasks with ease. If you are on the fence, you should get one

Last edited:
Looks like you're getting great use out of your Winkler ... I know I still use mine as much as any knives I have.

If you want a pointier Winkler or slightly thinner you may look at the new Winkler / Jason Knight colabs ... and then Winkler has a few new styles also ... some are smaller blades ... some are just different shapes ... but some new offerings that look nice ...

I have a Jager on order now .

Last edited:
I have been thinking of a standard duty model. Its basically a mini belt knife. It is .156 thick at its max.

Here is the finished product from my fishing trip...

Last edited:
Good job on the fillets. It's great to see how well the Winkler cuts with a modified edge.

Good job on the fillets. It's great to see how well the Winkler cuts with a modified edge.

Thanks!

I get why they make the knife with a rather obtuse edge. They sell it as a tough survival type tool that can handle stuff you may not normally do with a knife. To me the obtuse edge that get put on so many knives now is a direct result of the stupidity created by knife testing videos made by people like Noss. He shows what “could” be done with a knife and all the knuckleheads who watch videos like that think it is what “should” be done to a knife and then get upset when they chip out edges. Then they talk a bunch of shmack about a maker, so the maker has to put thicker and thicker edges to counter the stupididty.

I wish makers would offer their blades, as light versions and use thinner stock with edges made to cut.

I would love to have my exact winkler with a .125-.156” thick blade stock and an appropriate edge to match.

I just got my Winkler Jager ... it's one of the new Winkler/Jason Knight colabs ... it's a smaller knife but just unpacking it and using it briefly ...

I really like this ... I have liked both my other Winklers alot ... and this it a different type small thinner blade ... I will get some pictures soon and post them ...

I still think Winkler knives are very under rated ... nice too see some others finding out how good they are.

Back