Photos Winkler II Recon and Belt Knife - Ongoing Review

I hope more people give Winkler knives a look I really think they are very over looked ... I realise they aren't for everyone but I think many would be surprised at how well made and how well they just flat out perform ... the 80CRV2 high carbon tool steel may not be a new super steel but they do it right and its tough and it holds an edge very well I've found ...

here are a few pics of the new Winkler/Jason Knight colab Jager Knife ... I didn't use the stock clip that comes with the knife ... but you can carry it horizontal if you want ... they also offer a dangler option when you order ... but I like Sagewood's Loop Attachments so that's what I added as seen in the pictures ...

Winker II Jager 5.jpg

Winkler II Jager 6.jpg

Winkler II Jager 1.jpg

Winkler II Jager 2.jpg

Last edited:
What size of dangler from Sagewood is this? I want to order one for my belt knife but am not sure which to get. Thanks!

I hope more people give Winkler knives a look I really think they are very over looked ... I realise they aren't for everyone but I think many would be surprised at how well made and how well they just flat out preform ... the 80CRV2 high carbon tool steel may not be a new super steel but they do it right and its tough and it holds an edge very well I've found ...

here are a few pics of the new Winkler/Jason Knight colab Jager Knife ... I didn't use the stock clip that comes with the knife ... but you can carry it horizontal if you want ... they also offer a dangler option when you orfer ... but I like Sagewood's Loop Attachments so that's what I added as seen in the pictures ...

[

My main gripe with Winklers is the quality control. That or the price. The finish just isnt there for me in the 300-400$ range. They're rustic for real, and yes I love the fact that people make them and people make mistakes, its just not 100% there to justify full retail, unless I'm missing something like a high cost of manufacturing or extreme inflation. I own similarly priced knives from other brands, and even though they may suck on other departments in which the Winklers exceed, they have more consistent, better finishes. Yes they are tough, yes they are comfortable, yes they're light for their size, yes they're capable, and yes, they're smartly designed, both the knives and the sheaths. I'm not coming out of nowhere, I stand with what I say and I own two Winklers, and I really like both of them.

The Jason Knight models are truly attractive, a very distinct style from Daniel's designs. I love the recessed handle at the ricasso, it truly is a useful feature.

I can't say I see many Winklers so I haven't any qc issues ... this is the first I've read anyone bringing that up ... and it may be trueas I said I don't see many or know many that own Winklers ...

Yes there are other knives in the price range that some may say are better materials ... as far as on paper the steels may look superior but I have to say however Winkler HTs their steel and how they make use of it ... it is very very good steel IMHO ...

and I admitted Winklers are definately not for everybody ... but just my personal likings Winklers are right up there ... I am really even more then my other Winklers ... I am loving this new Jager ... it will definately make a great hunting knife and an good smaller fixed blade to carry while mushroom hunting or picking berries etc ... and it does great with food prep ...

So yes it's kind of subjective and comes to personal preferences between many knives ... Winklers may not seem as well finished to someone looking for shiney flashy top of the line materials and finishes ... they fit perfectly into what they are designed for ...

Rustic looking very functional tough knives ... and the sheath system is one thing I really like about them ... yes many would say no you need kydex for protection ... others no you need all leather ... and again kind of personal preference ...

but I'd put my Winklers next to most any knives I own and they will preform well ... and I like the rustic slightly used or worn look that others may consider not as well made or poor qc ...

it's one thing great about our hobby ... everyone can love what they love and find it ... and thankfully we aren't all carrying the same knife ...

I guess I find my Winklers as well made and comfortable and capable as any other knife I own ...

yes I may own a tougher knife ... I may own a fancier knife or a knife that takes a bit sharper edge or that may look better to people ... I guess I like having room for all of them and use the one that fits my needs for the day.

And I would recommend Winkler to anyone asking for some recommendations for a good hunting or camp knife ... now with some new models even as an EDC ... they will hold their own IMHO unless you go to the youtube "lets cut this car in half with my knife" area ... and heck they may do that too I have no need to know ... shrugs ...

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight on the Winklers! How does the handle compare to say, the Outback handle?

The Jager handle is very comfortable ... but it is thinner and doesn't fill your hand like the Outback ... but LT Wright knives have some of the best ergos for a bit larger hands ...

the Jager I think feels so good because of the design and the cutout where the jimping is ... the way the blade is cut just fits for your thumb to have better control for fine work ...

But those Outbacks are pretty comfortable ... or at least for me they are :thumbsup: ... right up there with my CPK handles for extended use ...

Just wanted to say I like the extended review format/thread. Time and a variety of use give a lot of useful insight.

Just wanted to say I like the extended review format/thread. Time and a variety of use give a lot of useful insight.

I agree. I especially like that it tends to create an in depth discussion of the pros and cons of a design

Reactions: mb>
I agree. I especially like that it tends to create an in depth discussion of the pros and cons of a design
Thanks for the review Riz! I finally pulled the trigger on the belt knife and I don’t think I’ve ever held a blade that feels so much like an extension of my hand. Can’t wait to put it through some paces.

@gstuds ... I just saw your post asking which sheath adapter it was .. its the Sagewood Gear Medium adapter ... I ordered with the dangler attachment also although I didn't use the dangler piece on the Jager knife.

Had an issue with a Tadgear axe (the axe head bent like cardboard) he sent me this as a loaner and insisted I use it. This axe was brand new! I should have just said this one will do. Anyhow I sent it back after some hard use. I loved how it performed and the wood handle beat the hell out of micarta. I was using woods tools daily at the time and for many hours a day.

the Belt knife may be rustic, but is actual issue as for a utility knife for SEAL 6 Red and Blue Squadrons in ground warfare roles. I find mine to be one of the most capable, compact, hard use knives ever made.

I first became exposed several years back to 80CRV2 blades from a handforged leuku from Finland. The maker tested each blade on moose antler, carving the moose antler, drilling a hole through the moose antler, and chopping a large v into the moose antler, and it still had to shave hair and slice paper.

When I found Winkler had gone to that steel, I bought one nearly immediately. He uses a sophisticated salt bath heat treat for the fine grain of which 5160 is incapable.

Personally, am not sure how you would beat it, as for a nearly unbreakable high performance compact knife. If rust bothers you, do as folk in the field do, and paint the thing. Mine is a constant and absolutely trusted travel companion.

As for cost, you get a leather covered, felt lined kydex sheath of total silence of fantastic versatility, tapered tang, fancy thumb jimping, curly maple, etc.. How can folk complain for $350 or less is beyond me, unless they complain as to every $300-$400 knife. I could buy far prettier and harder to tote and more fragile knives for the money, I suppose.

Last edited:
I found a Winkler Recon with a burlap micarta handle. It should be here next week. I will add some comparison pics of it and the belt knife and continue this review with first impressions of the recon

Just received my Winkler Belt Knife in sculpted maple and wish I'd pulled the trigger on one much sooner though truth be told it was his axes which initially brought me to the table. One thing I can say, being right here in the heart of spec-op country and I've never seen a single Winkler product for sale locally on CL nor any other forum which speaks volumes about their reputation with real operators, each one a keeper to the last!

Got the Recon today. This thing is nice. It has a thinner edge than the Belt Knife and is nice and stabby. I think it is gonna make a great “bushcraft” knife. Here comes the pics...

^
Super nice. I think I like that better than my Belt Knife. Might have to pick one of those up some day.

No photos, but I sliced up an onion last night. The recon’s thinner edge geometry cut the onion nicely. No binding.

Back