Winner...And Still Heavyweight Champion...The Venerable Buck 110

Blues

hovering overhead
Staff member
Super Mod
With the discussion of the workmanlike 301 recently and my offline conversations with 300Bucks, I thought it might be a good time to reintroduce the heavyweight champ as it were.

Standing 4 7/8" and weighing in at a massive 7 3/8 ounces, the venerable Buck 110 still appears ready to take on all comers aspiring to take the crown.

My only example is this (late 90's as I recall) version which was assembled with a Master Series BG-42 blade, Frenchwood (laminated) scales and polished nickel silver bolsters. Probably (to this day) the sharpest production knife out of the box I've ever received:

Scan_192.jpgScan_193.jpg

Feel free to share images of your own version of the king of beasts.

My oh my Elliot that is a nice 110. Wish I had my Cabellas here to share with ya'll.

Blues,What a Great looking knife. :thumbup:

The Buck 110 is a Classic.
One of my all time favorite frames.

Saaweeet! Now that's nice!

You're right, can't beat the 110, everyone should have at least one!

Love mine ,I have 2 my first I bought in 1970,The second I recieved as a gift in 1992. You should attach a poll to the thread. **Do you have a 110?
Peace
ST~

It's one of my favs also! Never really thought about it weighing almost 1/2lb though. Never really noticed the weight.

Really an American classic, and a great value today starting at under $40.

A knife I definitely need to get. Although I think if I do, I'd like it to be with some upgrades.

That sure is a sweet looking 110, though.

The 110 is a great knife...Well made, very durable and reasonably priced. Not to mention probably one of the most copied designs there is..
I had one with the BG-42 and a few early 110's, but I never got use to wearing a sheath so they moved on to new homes...

I did keep one earlier 110 FG and a 112 though. Sorry no pics to add, I went through a couple days ago and cleaned out all my files of stuff I didn't own anymore :(

BTW I like the green on yours :thumbup:

EDIT: I went back through my pics and found a couple of my Buck custom shop 112's. Being the 110's little brother, didn't think you would mind.

DSC00890.jpg

DSC00772.jpg

Last edited:
...but I never got use to wearing a sheath so they moved on to new homes...

I wish I had known. I have a spare daypack or two I could've sent you. ;):p

...Being the 110's little brother, didn't think you would mind...

Not at all. :thumbup:

I wish I had known. I have a spare daypack or two I could've sent you. ;):p

:D:thumbup:

I'm curious to see how many pages your thread goes to, once the boys over in the Buck s/f get wind of this :D They have lots of pics

:D:thumbup:

I'm curious to see how many pages your thread goes to, once the boys over in the Buck s/f get wind of this :D They have lots of pics

Well, I kinda figured that might happen but then we're about inclusivity and not exclusivity I figger. ;):cool::thumbup:

(I only ask that we keep the images and posts in line and true to the character of the Traditional Forum)

Last edited:
"Heavyweight" is an understatement- those things are boat anchors. :D I have a couple 110s, but they never venture out of the house. I appreciate the design and the historic nature of the 110, but they're just big, bulky and heavy for my taste.

Edit: Okay, I lied. I had one here in my office sitting in my desk.:eek: So this one HAS ventured out of the house. *picks it up to feel the weight* Yup. That's a hefty beast all right. I keep this one around in case I need to club a seal or something. :p
zz110.jpg

If I want to carry something that heavy around, I prefer a fixed blade.

Last edited:
...but they're just big, bulky and heavy for my taste...

I feel the same way about a lot of GEC offerings but I can appreciate 'em nonetheless. ;) (Sometimes big and overbuilt can be a good thing I suppose.)

I feel the same way about a lot of GEC offerings but I can appreciate 'em nonetheless. ;) (Sometimes big and overbuilt can be a good thing I suppose.)

Touche', good sir! To each his own- viva la difference! :thumbup::D

How ever they are classified, they are my favorites. I have over 100 of them right now. Here's a heavy weight. It's an Alaskan Guide with the emblem removed from the blade and mammoth tooth handles added.

AGwithmammothtoothfront.jpg

I don't know if I'd class the buck 110 as a heavyweight. Maybe a sumo class!:D

How 'bout the anti-peanut? :p

One thing that comes to mind, however, is that like the Russell "Barlow" and other knives that have become standard bearers over the years, the 110 has probably done more cutting and dirty jobs and been carried by more workingmen, cops, park/forest rangers, carpenters, roofers, hunters and outdoorsmen than most any knife I can think of. I think the proof has been in the sales and the myriad copies over the years.

I also agree that for me personally it's not a knife for EDC though I wouldn't hesitate to rely upon it for virtually any task in or around my home or afield in the mountains.

I carry one on my belt probably 90% of the time. It really depends on where I am or where I'm going.

Funny thing is, I've never even considered the weight of it as a handcap. I truthfully just never notice it when its on me.

Back