Winner...And Still Heavyweight Champion...The Venerable Buck 110

6-EF55-E74-18-C0-4329-A35-B-979-AD6-C7-D14-A.jpg

...hope no dreaded double post here...my initial message seems to have vanished. Anyway, I posted this pic a couple of nights ago on another thread … "King of lockbacks and its mutant spawn." The Buck 110 is the King and undisputed Champ but the Rigid Apache built by former Buck employees Bill Duff and Don Collum (RIP to both gentlemen) was certainly a chip off the old block.

upload_2020-6-3_21-3-8-jpeg.1352511

No matter what other knives I acquire or use, I have yet to find a superior cutting tool to the Buck 110. Hollow grinds are disparaged nowadays, but when you really want something to cut . . . hollow grinds are the sliciest of the slicey. The only folder that feels better in the hand is the Buck 112!

This is the BassPro exclusive from a few years ago with a coated CPM154 blade. After trying the drop points (which I thought I would prefer), I actually prefer the standard clip point in actual use. It's not a prying tool and being able to get the pointier point into tight spots is really handy.

wvq6v05.jpg

Last edited:
I now have two 110s. My first 110 was bought for me by my father sometime in early 80s. I somewhat promptly lost it and went without one for some years. I ended up purchasing a CPM154 bladed 110 with Rosewood handles from one of those mall knife stores in 2007. Only started carrying it recently though. Since I got it it's mostly set in a drawer. Then just a week ago or so I picked up what appears to be a C&C aluminium/Micarta 110 with 420HC blade on eBay.

woGNiJG.jpg

It's a tough call. I absolutely love the square bolstered 110s. They are simply incredible. However, the 110 Pro with S30V & Micarta is one of the best knives Buck has ever made. They are both aesthetically pleasing. I do prefer the 70's sheaths over the current production.

I wonder why they went away from the classic square bolters.

The 110 has always used sintered bolsters and liners, correct? Or were the brass frame on the early knives machined from brass barstock?

I wonder why they went away from the classic square bolters.

The 110 has always used sintered bolsters and liners, correct? Or were the brass frame on the early knives machined from brass barstock?

Per Oden's Holding An Edge original frames were cast until around 1970 when a switch to a heavier forged frame was incorporated. In 1975 sintered frames were introduced and continue to be used today. Mr. Oden does not mention the formation of bolsters, but I would guess they were formed in a similar fashion. As far as the switch from square to rounded bolsters it is suggested that the addition of the finger groove knives in 1982 influenced the softer profile of the rounded bolsters.

Back