Winner chosen

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
I present to you this humble little two blade Camillus pen knife made for the Monroe Hardware Co.

This particular example being from 1985, but I've seen dates from the 60's through the 90's.
I have no connection to the company it was made for, I just happen to think it's a wonderful little knife that carrys so well and cuts like a lazer.
It has become one of my favorites for sure, and when I found another example on Ebay recently for next to nothing I saw an opportunity.
An opportunity to give an example of a knife I quite love to someone else in hoping they might appreciate the model as much as I do.

Here is the knife that is up for grabs, a NOS example from 1993.

The rules are simple, just post a picture of a beloved knife you would gift an example of if you could and tell us why you like it so much.
The GAW is open to all regular participants of the porch.

Cool knife!

I gave a TC Barlow to BigBuscuits (Bob) when I saw that he was selling off his collection when he got sick. I told him to give, sell, or dispose of it how he would like, or needed.

3E1ftcc.jpg

Not an entry. But thanks for doing this giveaway.

Bob sent me an old case Whaler unexpectedly, right before he passed away. I'll cherish that unexpected gift, and pass it on to my own son ( also Bob).

I bought two Gec Schrade 73 trappers to gift to my sons. They are with Grandpa and Papa now (so the boys will each receive a traditional knife from their grandpa and papa). Grandpa was given a case stockman and a 73 GEC Schrade, Papa was given one of the 73's, a 25 barlow, a S&M Grandad Barlow File and wire, and a few others).

I have items from each of my grandpa's that I treasure...and want my own kids to have some of the same treasures.
I usually also gift knoves to my father. I've given him probably 8 or 9 knives. (It just so happens I gifted him knives I would like to own my self).

Last edited:
Great GAW, Hickory n steel Hickory n steel ! That’s a cool little knife. :thumbsup:

If I was able to, I’d give everyone I could a GEC #15 Farm Boy. It was one of my first GEC’s, and is still probably my favorite configuration on the #15 pattern. (I’d also like to go back in time and gift myself a couple more in Nifebrite and Ebony. ;))

dxj3aXO.jpg

I've gifted a few that I had more than one of, a Buck 389 canoe, a inexpensive even when new Imperial (Providence, RI) Barlow, a Ulster Scout/Camp knife, and a Marbles MR278, for example. I've bought a couple Opinel (carbon steel blades) with the intent to gift them, (I did order one for me, too) and gifted a few I didn't have more than one of. (Szco and a SARGE "Official BSA" Barlow, were the last two.)
Oh, and I did order a SK Blades "Lil' Jack" for my nephew/godson's High School graduation present. I figured if he worked hard enough (and is smart enough) to graduate 6 or 7 years early at age 11, he deserves a special knife. :)

Not an entry, please. There are plenty of others here much more generous and worthy than I. :)

Thank you for the opportunity btw, I seen a very similar one in a flea market last year but the blades had been ground on some kinda bad.

Thank you for the opportunity btw, I seen a very similar one in a flea market last year but the blades had been ground on some kinda bad.
I don't even bother with looking for knives at flea markets much anymore these days, everything is always worn out and overpriced around me most times.
On Ebay I can usually get better condition and if the price is more the condition makes it worth it.
People just seem to think everything old is rare and valuable out here in California and only price it affordably if theres little life left in it.

I think everybody here has figured out by now that I have a weakness for these:
Fwa2uvC.jpg

I like them because they are easy for someone like me with limited tools and even more limited talent to customize and improve. I have made several as gifts already.

I would like to be able to give everybody one, on the condition they discard the plastic handle and make their own.

Well, I'm a sucker for advertising knives, so I'll play. I guess I could choose from several knives, but I'm going to go with my first Case trapper. I had carried a Victorinox Classic for years, but realized the knife blade was pretty small. I probably used the scissors, toothpick, and tweezers more. (I never used the screwdriver--too puny and I always have screwdrivers nearby--or the nail file.) So I decided to get a bigger knife and settled on this:
WARu0Jj.jpg

What a fantastic design! And TWO long blades! The medium stockman, which I bought shortly thereafter, is better as a pocket carry, but even the clip blade on it is a little small. The trapper's clip blade is perfect. And the handle really fits my hand well. But any bigger and the knife should probably be carried in a belt sheath (I have two I sometimes use). It's one of my most carried knives, even if I don't post it that often. It would be a great knife to give someone.

I’ve been thinking about another giveaway and I think I have my idea almost worked out as well as the knife. But if it was just about a knife that I would give everyone to have, I’d choose an Opinel no. 6, 7, or 8. They are such a great all around knife.

If I may, I’d like to enter for joeradza joeradza who knows how to love those all metal knives.

I won't enter the giveaway, but will add my two cents and bump this. The Opinel 6 in carbon steel has been a companion on countless adventures, and is so affordable that I have made a habit of gifting friends their own Opinel whenever I can manage an excuse to share the gospel of the Opinel!

I almost forgot.

I've gifted 2 or 3 Buck 110lt's, and a while back I did a GAW including a Victorinox recruit because I quite like this model.
Come to think of it when I when I buy a knife to give away it's usually one I like myself.
If I wouldn't carry it I wouldn't gift it, I will give away something I'm no longer using but that's not really a gift just passing something along to a new home.

I cannot fault any of the knives posted in this thread, all are knives anyone can find a way to appreciate.

I won't enter the giveaway, but will add my two cents and bump this. The Opinel 6 in carbon steel has been a companion on countless adventures, and is so affordable that I have made a habit of gifting friends their own Opinel whenever I can manage an excuse to share the gospel of the Opinel!
Another one of my favorites. I have the No. 8.

Back