Winter preps

bluemax_1

Gold Member
I figure a forum with knife enthusiasts would probably include a fair number of preppers.

I've been a fan of the boy scout motto 'Semper Peratus' (always prepared) since boyhood, so I figured "how about a thread about winter prepping and winterizing", where we can share ideas, equipment suggestions, tips and tricks.

Vehicle winterizing:
- obviously, double checking that all fluids are topped up and in good condition

- good tires make a significant difference for snow/ice traction. Every 10f drop in temps causes about a 1 psi drop in tire pressure. I adjust as the temps get colder.

- make sure my wipers are in good condition, and I REALLY like Rain-X windshield washer fluid

- usually, around Fall, I'll use a silicone based lube/grease to wipe down the rubber door surrounds/seals, to prevent freezing/sticking.

- I also check to make sure all my bulbs are functioning as it's dark a lot earlier, thus, more dark/night driving

- I've had cold temps (-15f) + older batteries = not enough juice for the keyless entry after the vehicle's been sitting, so I've taken to spraying Lock-Ease in the door locks so they don't freeze (it's a graphite lubricant in a solvent carrier. Spray it in the keyhole, turn the key back and forth so it gets where it needs to. The solvent evaporates, leaving the dry graphite lubricant. It doesn't freeze or gum up in cold temps).

- I've also had an old battery and -15f leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night, with no other motorists coming by to even ask for a jumpstart, despite having jumper cables. These days, I keep one of these new Lithium Ion powered jump packs in my vehicles. They're about the size of 3 stacked bars of chocolate, and can jumpstart the Yukon with a dead battery. Can charge from the wall, or cigarette lighter once the engine is running.
Like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016UG6PWE/ref=mp_s_a_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1512702394&sr=8-22-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=jump+pack+portable&psc=1&th=1

- being stranded in -15f (wind chill was -30+ to -40f) back then, had my fingers numb VERY quickly. I've since taken to keeping chemical heat packs/hand warmers in the car. Last year, I found an interesting item that's now available on Amazon. It's a portable power pack that can charge an iPhone from flat 2x, has a built-in LED flashlight for emergencies, AND here's the kicker, it's also an electric handwarmer that actually gets pretty darned warm, and runs for a decently long time (a few hours).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074...1512702940&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65
At about the size of a pack of cigarettes, I keep this in the pocket of my winter jacket.

- other items that stay in the pockets of my winter jacket (yes, it's bulky lol), are the Mountain Hardwear gloves I got for ice climbing over a decade ago. Pretty warm, still pretty effective waterproofing. Columbia OmniHeat beanie (keeps my noggin really warm AND covers my ears), Neoprene lower face mask with velcro rear. Spiky Plus Ice grippers in the thick plastic baggie they come in (slip on rubber oversoles with tungsten carbide spikes. Amazing on ice. I've used the same pair for about 3 seasons. Way better than YakTrax).

- I also keep a shovel in my SUV (and of course, a snow brush and ice scraper), along with a pair of snowshoes and poles, tow straps, Fix-a-flat and a ViAir air pump.

- I also have an emergency go-bag with cold weather gear (snow pants, thermal base layers, socks), sleeping bag, alcohol cookset and a couple bottles of yellow Heat gasoline treatment for fuel. I also have Snickers bars in ziplock bags and some Mountain House freeze dried meals in the go-bag, plus a waterproof UST jet lighter and Blast Match, multiple Mylar space blankets (small and light). Industrial 8mil contractor garbage bags. A CS Trailmaster, Silky saw, paracord, Gorilla tape, Superglue.

- I keep a case of Ice Mountain bottled water in the vehicle for emergencies (doesn't matter if it freezes. Tested freezing the bottles in the freezer, and they don't leak or rupture).

Of course, there's always a med kit in each vehicle.

So what do you folks do for winter preps?

Last edited:
No winter here. All I need is a gun and a knife when I go out the door.

Summer preps - shorts and t-shirt:D

I figure a forum with knife enthusiasts would probably include a fair number of preppers.

I've been a fan of the boy scout motto 'Semper Peratus' (always prepared) since boyhood, so I figured "how about a thread about winter prepping and winterizing", where we can share ideas, equipment suggestions, tips and tricks.

Vehicle winterizing:
- obviously, double checking that all fluids are topped up and in good condition

- good tires make a significant difference for snow/ice traction. Every 10f drop in temps causes about a 1 psi drop in tire pressure. I adjust as the temps get colder.

- make sure my wipers are in good condition, and I REALLY like Rain-X windshield washer fluid

- usually, around Fall, I'll use a silicone based lube/grease to wipe down the rubber door surrounds/seals, to prevent freezing/sticking.

- I also check to make sure all my bulbs are functioning as it's dark a lot earlier, thus, more dark/night driving

- I've had cold temps (-15f) + older batteries = not enough juice for the keyless entry after the vehicle's been sitting, so I've taken to spraying Lock-Ease in the door locks so they don't freeze (it's a graphite lubricant in a solvent carrier. Spray it in the keyhole, turn the key back and forth so it gets where it needs to. The solvent evaporates, leaving the dry graphite lubricant. It doesn't freeze or gum up in cold temps).

- I've also had an old battery and -15f leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night, with no other motorists coming by to even ask for a jumpstart, despite having jumper cables. These days, I keep one of these new Lithium Ion powered jump packs in my vehicles. They're about the size of 3 stacked bars of chocolate, and can jumpstart the Yukon with a dead battery. Can charge from the wall, or cigarette lighter once the engine is running.
Like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016UG6PWE/ref=mp_s_a_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1512702394&sr=8-22-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=jump+pack+portable&psc=1&th=1

- being stranded in -15f (wind chill was -30+ to -40f) back then, had my fingers numb VERY quickly. I've since taken to keeping chemical heat packs/hand warmers in the car. Last year, I found an interesting item that's now available on Amazon. It's a portable power pack that can charge an iPhone from flat 2x, has a built-in LED flashlight for emergencies, AND here's the kicker, it's also an electric handwarmer that actually gets pretty darned warm, and runs for a decently long time (a few hours).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074...1512702940&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65
At about the size of a pack of cigarettes, I keep this in the pocket of my winter jacket.

- other items that stay in the pockets of my winter jacket (yes, it's bulky lol), are the Mountain Hardwear gloves I got for ice climbing over a decade ago. Pretty warm, still pretty effective waterproofing. Columbia OmniHeat beanie (keeps my noggin really warm AND covers my ears), Neoprene lower face mask with velcro rear. Spiky Plus Ice grippers in the thick plastic baggie they come in (slip on rubber oversoles with tungsten carbide spikes. Amazing on ice. I've used the same pair for about 3 seasons. Way better than YakTrax).

- I also keep a shovel in my SUV (and of course, a snow brush and ice scraper), along with a pair of snowshoes and poles, tow straps, Fix-a-flat and a ViAir air pump.

- I also have an emergency go-bag with cold weather gear (snow pants, thermal base layers, socks), sleeping bag, alcohol cookset and a couple bottles of yellow Heat gasoline treatment for fuel. I also have Snickers bars in ziplock bags and some Mountain House freeze dried meals in the go-bag, plus a waterproof UST jet lighter and Blast Match, multiple Mylar space blankets (small and light). Industrial 8mil contractor garbage bags. A CS Trailmaster, Silky saw, paracord, Gorilla tape, Superglue.

- I keep a case of Ice Mountain bottled water in the vehicle for emergencies (doesn't matter if it freezes. Tested freezing the bottles in the freezer, and they don't leak or rupture).

Of course, there's always a med kit in each vehicle.

So what do you folks do for winter preps?

Crap man!
We may be twin sons from different mothers.

My vehicles are laden with just in case survival gear. Sleeping bags, blankets. Extra clothes. Food & water. Emberlit stoves. Svea Stoves, flashlights, extra batteries. Dry socks, knives, hand saw, axe, chain, jumper cables, chem lights. And much more.

I live 9 miles from the Canadian Border. And we are in a cold spot. We usually run colder than Saranac Lake one of the coldest spots in the country. Winter here can be a bit of a challenge,
IMG_2022-XL.jpg

By spring I'm usually running out of places to put snow.
IMG_3230.jpg

This was our Jeep Cherokee last spring,
IMG_5552-XL.jpg

This was the driveway, we totaled out somewhere around 54". Some places it was only 48" others it was over 6 feet.
IMG_5553-XL.jpg

Definitely not the place you want to be stranded and unprepared.

Crap man!
We may be twin sons from different mothers.

My vehicles are laden with just in case survival gear. Sleeping bags, blankets. Extra clothes. Food & water. Emberlit stoves. Svea Stoves, flashlights, extra batteries. Dry socks, knives, hand saw, axe, chain, jumper cables, chem lights. And much more.

I live 9 miles from the Canadian Border. And we are in a cold spot. We usually run colder than Saranac Lake one of the coldest spots in the country. Winter here can be a bit of a challenge,
IMG_2022-XL.jpg

By spring I'm usually running out of places to put snow.
IMG_3230.jpg

This was our Jeep Cherokee last spring,
IMG_5552-XL.jpg

This was the driveway, we totaled out somewhere around 54". Some places it was only 48" others it was over 6 feet.
IMG_5553-XL.jpg

Definitely not the place you want to be stranded and unprepared.
Yikes. Fortunately, getting THAT much snow isn't common where I am. We've had winters like that, but only once in a fairly ling while.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the flashlights. I tend to have an 18650 powered one as my main carry light, + a pocket backup that can run on a 10440 or AA (which means I can use a AAA or AAAA in a pinch with rolled up dollar bills and crumpled up tinfoil) + a AAA and 2 Streamlight Nano lights on my keychain (the Nano lights don't add too much bulk, and at ~$8, I had no qualms about giving them away during the last power outage).

I also keep road flares and triangles in the trunk.

Back